Home

For you offline Franchisers

This is a discussion on For you offline Franchisers within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-17-2009, 07:23 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
For you offline Franchisers

When you play, do you play with salary cap on or off? If you keep the cap on, how do you manage your cap on how much to spend on certain players?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-17-2009, 07:35 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 12
Re: For you offline Franchisers

I play with it on, and I mainly manage it by trading/not resigning guys who are older and who eat up a ton of cap room (ex. as the Cowboys, I'll trade away Flozell Adams, Leonard Davis, Marc Colombo) and replace them through the draft. I can usually draft well and can get guys who fill in well immediately or will progress enough to fill in within a year.

Some guys can be difficult though, I haven't been able to trade away DeMarcus Ware, even though he's fairly ineffectual as a 3-4 OLB, I've been tempted to convert the Cowboys to a 4-3 and putting D Ware at DE to let him rush that way. I've had a lot more success getting pressure in a 4-3 scheme with just the 4 DL than in a 3-4 with the DL and a blitzing LB.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:06 PM   #3
MVP

mavfan21's Arena

OVR: 12

Salary cap on fo sho.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:41 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 4

cap has to be on for me to enjoy it and I just go with my gut on how good and young a guy is and if his position is really necessary. I'd rather pay calvin johnson a **** load and have two other mediocre wide outs at 2 and 3 then have all three be really good and getting paid due to my play style.

The draft is well stocked with effective high potntial DL, HB, S and LBs so you can lock up good young guys alot more effectively than over paying a veteran in free agency...learned that the hard way in my first free agency period

also dump the odl fluff players as stated earlier...
Old 09-17-2009, 09:41 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 8

I have played with sal cap on in every game to date which ahd it in but this one I have it off. the salaries are JANKED huge and I see no point in trying to screw my team over for some insane contract programming.

Ed Johnson on my team got re-signed by me and he is now making 7.5 mil a year. He is rated 77 and did crap in the first year for me with 15 tackles.

There is no way in hell a player of his caliber and who had that type of season would shoot up from a small salary to 7.5 mil in real life but it doesn't work that way in madden, oh no.

I have a few other guys that are rated in the low-mid 70s making way too much and just signed a 62 rated HB from free agency for my 3rd HB spot who magically demanded close to 1.5 mil a year. He hasn't even played a down and is in his 2nd year.

If the real NFL had contracts like those in Madden then every team would be full of crap players.

In every past game with a salary cap I have made it work while still fielding a solid team but again, this one is ridiculous and I'd lose most of my guys after a few years and I do not see the fun in that. Teams like the Eagles, Colts, Steelers and Patriots show in real life that you can field a solid team without breaking the bank and keep many of the top guys.

I think if I were not playing the games then maybe I would keep cap on but the game clearly says you need to have decent players to actually perform on field while playing to overcome an already slanted bias for the ai. If many of my 85+ rated guys blow that many plays as is, I can't imagine what would happen with a lot of low 70/high 60 rated guys out there as I play. Again, I see no fun in that.

You should see how mediocre my OL is in games with an average rating of about 88-90 in overall and the blocking categories. Yikes.

Last edited by steveo; 09-17-2009 at 09:48 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-18-2009, 12:24 AM   #6
MVP

TeamBuilder's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangilinan
When you play, do you play with salary cap on or off? If you keep the cap on, how do you manage your cap on how much to spend on certain players?
Check out my article, that's how I do it.

http://askmadden.com/managing-the-sa...ranchise-mode/
Old 09-18-2009, 12:55 AM   #7
MVP

OVR: 20

I have no problem managing the cap. Sure, you can't resign everyone, but I have had teams with every starter above 85 other than my punter and several players above 90
Old 09-18-2009, 02:19 PM   #8
Text Battle Rec: 36-4

JerzeyReign's Arena

OVR: 43

I play with it on. This year it's a little bit better. We still need more back and forth between the two parties though. At the moment I play stingy because some these dudes ask for WAY to much money.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »