Home

Blocking logic has gotten worse

This is a discussion on Blocking logic has gotten worse within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-18-2009, 09:12 AM   #9
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62
Re: Blocking logic has gotten worse

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunt
This is one of the most important threads on here. We need to pay more attention to offensive line play.
I didn't claim it wasn't important, nor was I demeaning his findings. I said what I did because he actually took the time to do all this research, and play and compare the last gen games to Madden '10. Again, not poking fun at him nor his findings, just making a light-hearted comment about how much time it must've took to do this, hence the at the end of my statement. I also thought the would show that the comment was meant in a joking, light-hearted manner and not an attacking one.

Perhaps I should've used instead?

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 09-18-2009, 09:18 AM   #10
Banned

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
I didn't claim it wasn't important, nor was I demeaning his findings. I said what I did because he actually took the time to do all this research, and play and compare the last gen games to Madden '10. Again, not poking fun at him nor his findings, just making a light-hearted comment about how much time it must've took to do this, hence the at the end of my statement. I also thought the would show that the comment was meant in a joking, light-hearted manner and not an attacking one.

Perhaps I should've used instead?
My bad, I play old football games and compare but I never put my results on youtube.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:23 AM   #11
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckles2k2
and for every bad example of blocking logic...you have a good one...

EA Sports: Madden NFL 10 Video Highlight

I don't see anything that's glaringly bad with my blocking there, I even saw my left tackle block a linebacker in the second level and my WR knocked his man out of the way and that sprung me for the TD. It's also worth noting that I didn't touch the turbo until I was out in front of everyone. Every time I see someone complaining about the blocking, in person or on Live, they've always used the "suction button" (turbo button) behind or near the line of scrimmage, and that triggers those crazy animations where your guys don't block or defenders clip through blockers, etc. I GUARANTEE you that if I held down turbo at any point before the 30 yard line...I would have miraculously been tackled by someone.

Now the pursuit angles are a different story, because P-Willie probably should have had me right there but he turns up the field for some reason. And dont ask me what #36 was doing... While I do agree that they need to clean up the blocking in the game, I also think that a lot of the complaints about blocking (especially in the running game) is because using turbo makes things get all wonky and crazy and it sucks defenders to the ball carrier for some reason.
Madden blocking is the great mystery. One play it works then the next play ofensive line play look broken. I have a feeling the offensibe ai logic get funky depending on the defensive fronts.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-18-2009, 09:27 AM   #12
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
My bad, I play old football games and compare but I never put my results on youtube.
No worries...

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 09-18-2009, 09:35 AM   #13
MVP

nuckles2k2's Arena

OVR: 13

one more post...

this is a vid from a friend of mine who was complaining about the defensive end ripping off of his block to tackle him...when I asked if he was using turbo, he said he was.

and this is a video I saved a while back...it's a similar play from a different angle obviously, I didn't touch turbo until after the spin move and once again, I'm out in front of everyone... you can even see when he take it up a notch in the open field.

I still think the problem lies with the turbo trigger sucking defenders towards you. You can even see it in your vids Gaither...in the old days the blocking still looked pretty but the suction tackling was still there...now the blocking doesn't maintain that nice sheen of polish when the suction tackling kicks in...
Old 09-18-2009, 09:42 AM   #14
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckles2k2
one more post...

this is a vid from a friend of mine who was complaining about the defensive end ripping off of his block to tackle him...when I asked if he was using turbo, he said he was.

and this is a video I saved a while back...it's a similar play from a different angle obviously, I didn't touch turbo until after the spin move and once again, I'm out in front of everyone... you can even see when he take it up a notch in the open field.

I still think the problem lies with the turbo trigger sucking defenders towards you. You can even see it in your vids Gaither...in the old days the blocking still looked pretty but the suction tackling was still there...now the blocking doesn't maintain that nice sheen of polish when the suction tackling kicks in...
This been an issue with madden for a long time. I try to go into the hole at one speed and come out of the whole in the 2nd gear.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:06 AM   #15
MVP

nuckles2k2's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
This been an issue with madden for a long time. I try to go into the hole at one speed and come out of the whole in the 2nd gear.
yep that's the way you're supposed to run the rock, but most of the time when people complain about bad blocking it's because they're trying to speed to and through the hole...like they only have one gear. And that triggers the suction tackling...and all of the weird things we see on the LOS in Madden 10.

But if you lay off of the turbo and only use it when you see green pastures in front of you then all of these blocking anomalies are cut in half.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-18-2009, 10:42 AM   #16
MVP

OVR: 8

Madden blocking has some issues, no question, but I do think the turbo button is a big culprit. It seems like if you hit turbo in the backfield, it tends to get the linemen to drop their blocks. Not sure why that is, but when I lay off turbo, I get better results.

I also can't really consider the blocking "broken" since I can rush and get pass protection. I would love to see it revamped so it's more organic and natural-looking, but I can get effective run and pass blocking right now, and I don't find the game unplayable because of the blocking.

While I admire the work in going back to compare older Madden games, I also remember that it was very easy to run outside in Madden 2002. You could basically draft any RB with a speed over 90 and turn him into a 1000-yard rusher if you had a decent line and ran off-tackle, sweeps, and pitches. Despite the blocking issues, my experience in 2010 has been more in line with the NFL -- outside runs have bigger risk-reward, with more of my big runs coming outside, but also some big losses if I run into a blitz. Up the middle I can grind it out for 3-5 yards, but not have as many big runs. Laying off turbo, I also find that I don't get blown up in the backfield as much, although it does happen more than you see in real games.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »