Home

Blocking logic has gotten worse

This is a discussion on Blocking logic has gotten worse within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-18-2009, 10:47 AM   #17
MVP

OVR: 15
Re: Blocking logic has gotten worse

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckles2k2
yep that's the way you're supposed to run the rock, but most of the time when people complain about bad blocking it's because they're trying to speed to and through the hole...like they only have one gear. And that triggers the suction tackling...and all of the weird things we see on the LOS in Madden 10.

But if you lay off of the turbo and only use it when you see green pastures in front of you then all of these blocking anomalies are cut in half.
Well...it's just ridiculous that we have to resort to not using the turbo button on running plays until we are clear of the line of scrimmage. I can see that if we are waiting for blocks to set up and stuff. But, I've been watching a lot of football with Madden on my mind. The major thing that stands out to me is how in real life running backs will burst through a wide open hole. But, in Madden if there is a wide open hole, and we hit turbo to "burst" through it, the d-lineman will magically tear lose and suction tackle. I don't want to have to wait to be clear of the d-line to hit turbo if there is a wide open hole or even on a pitch where there is nobody out there. But 2 out of 3 times, the DE will magically tear lose, spin 180 degrees and suction tackle the guy like shown in that previous video.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:58 AM   #18
MVP

RaiderKtulu's Arena

OVR: 13

This thread has me wanting to try playing a few games without using the turbo button at all on either side of the ball, just to see how it plays out.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:10 AM   #19
MVP

nuckles2k2's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerwr38
Well...it's just ridiculous that we have to resort to not using the turbo button on running plays until we are clear of the line of scrimmage. I can see that if we are waiting for blocks to set up and stuff. But, I've been watching a lot of football with Madden on my mind. The major thing that stands out to me is how in real life running backs will burst through a wide open hole. But, in Madden if there is a wide open hole, and we hit turbo to "burst" through it, the d-lineman will magically tear lose and suction tackle. I don't want to have to wait to be clear of the d-line to hit turbo if there is a wide open hole or even on a pitch where there is nobody out there. But 2 out of 3 times, the DE will magically tear lose, spin 180 degrees and suction tackle the guy like shown in that previous video.
You're absolutely right, but see...the major problem lies with turbo and not necessarily with the actual blocking itself...at least in this instance. So threads like this are kind of misleading.

Like Brando said, the blocking isn't broken since lanes are opened up for the runner and you can get a decent pocket when passing. It's flawed at best, and hopefully they can sure up a few things. But the major problem is the relationship between the ball carrier running with turbo and the way it influences the defense.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:22 AM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 15

I still don't understand the logic associated with the turbo suction tackle deal. Why would the fact that the offensive player's turbo, affect the defensive player in any way, shape, or form. Sorry, but with a team of people these things have to be dependant of anything else if they ever want to get the reaction to blocking at least manageable.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:23 AM   #21
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunt
This is one of the most important threads on here. We need to pay more attention to offensive line play.
And defensive line play.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-18-2009, 11:31 AM   #22
Hall Of Fame

Btw, the bad blocking A.I has nothing to do with hitting turbo. A great deal of the time these guys will spin on their heel at the snap then not block anyone. Or you will get a guy pulling up the field and you can follow him. There is one defender left and the blocker is out in front of you. But for whatever reason the blocker will turn around and go block someone inside. It has nothing to do with hitting turbo and all to do with some bad programmed behavior.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:48 AM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
Btw, the bad blocking A.I has nothing to do with hitting turbo. A great deal of the time these guys will spin on their heel at the snap then not block anyone. Or you will get a guy pulling up the field and you can follow him. There is one defender left and the blocker is out in front of you. But for whatever reason the blocker will turn around and go block someone inside. It has nothing to do with hitting turbo and all to do with some bad programmed behavior.
Yes. hitting turbo only seems to enable the defenders to shed their blocks faster, but the logic in that game is just bad.

Madden 03 had great blocking also, double teams, second level blocking and never any o-liner just spinnin around blocking no one. Thats also why Im so upset that you cant play any old madden on 360.
Old 09-18-2009, 12:00 PM   #24
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapp99
Yes. hitting turbo only seems to enable the defenders to shed their blocks faster, but the logic in that game is just bad.

Madden 03 had great blocking also, double teams, second level blocking and never any o-liner just spinnin around blocking no one. Thats also why Im so upset that you cant play any old madden on 360.
I don't remember any last gen Madden having double team blocks or great 2nd level blocking. They all were played by the Hoover. Hoover was so bad back then.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »