Home

Stopping Chris Johnson

This is a discussion on Stopping Chris Johnson within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-21-2009, 11:19 AM   #1
Banned

heater41's Arena

OVR: 10
Stopping Chris Johnson

Looking for a little help...I was lucky enough to make the Super Bowl in my online franchise with Atlanta. The gentleman I am playing is 16-0 with Tennessee and LOVES to use Chris Johnson ALOT. Any ideas how to stop him with his runs to the outside and throws to the flat? I am not a great Madden player and any help would be appreciated. BTW..this is a SIM style league so any glitches/abuses are useless.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-21-2009, 11:23 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 9
Re: Stopping Chris Johnson

keep Mike Peterson glued to him at all times, if anyone on that Falcon team can stop a running back - it's him.
Old 09-21-2009, 12:01 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 13

Adrian Peterson ran for 480 yards on me 2 weeks ago... he broke the gang tackle three times for over 200 yards and the rest was just brutal... even when i stacked the box, he'd truck through anyone/everyone every time.

I lost by about 35 points... I'm still waiting for AP to mail me my balls back.
Old 09-21-2009, 12:04 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 6

when they throw n tha flats hot rout tha de in tha flats, send me ur username and ill pm u sumthing
Old 09-21-2009, 12:46 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

AUChase's Arena

OVR: 35

How many passes a game gets thrown towards Johnson.
Gotta watch some people, they like to abuse the retarted AI.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-21-2009, 02:25 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 26

With the current team ATL will field, I cant say that you can come up with a completely effective way to shut him down.

In my OF, I drafted on the Dline Mathis, Wilfork, Jerry, and Mario Williams. At LB I have each LB with 90+ pursuit and around 80 zone coverage and Reggie Nelson at SS. When I played against my friend who uses Johnson in a similar manner, I used a 46 defense(from the CAR D playbook). I mainly ran zone coverage or would use man blitz if he came out in 1-2 WR sets. Because I almost always had 8 men in the box and a disruptive Dline he was only able to break one 22 yard run but otherwise tackled in the backfield(15 carries for 14 yards). When he tried to pass to Johnson, my LBs or Nelson were in the flats to quickly wrap him up for a loss or a small gain.

The issue you will run into with the Falcons, is their LBs they dont have the zone coverage to play defense against 3+ WR sets. You may shut down Johnson...but he will have a field day passing the ball down field.

If you wanted to try, you could use one of your SSs at OLB. I would use Moore(maybe even Wire OLB) opposite of Peterson. Good luck man.

Last edited by Glorious Arc; 09-21-2009 at 02:50 PM.
Old 09-21-2009, 02:38 PM   #7
Pro

Smoke316's Arena

OVR: 14

its ahrd to stop cj you have to tackle him behind the line of scrimmage and try and crowd him and keep him bottled up.. your DE's are goin ot be essential to what you do

Modest in Speech..Superior in Action

Hit me on Twitter - SeanSemps
Old 09-21-2009, 10:00 PM   #8
Banned

heater41's Arena

OVR: 10

Thanks guys...Johnson had 14 carries for 100+ yards. However, I lost by 7 even though I had my best passing game of all time as Matt Ryan threw for 448 yards and 3 TD's in 7 minute quarters.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »