Home

Is the Bump and Run overpowered?

This is a discussion on Is the Bump and Run overpowered? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-22-2009, 10:43 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 4
Is the Bump and Run overpowered?

I think so,I'm tired of seeing my WRs mugged over 5 yards down the field or running a crossing rt get hammered by a LBer,if your WR has a high attribute to beat the press,it should happen!I played a guy last night that B/R...ed me too death and Calvin Johnson couldn't beat fregin Ty Hills press which resulted in 2 pick 6s b/c hes stumbling around but Hill can regain his composure instantly and pick it off.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-22-2009, 10:54 AM   #2
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40
Re: Is the Bump and Run overpowered?

It isn't too realistic. They make where the WR is forced to go into the CB. But the problem is, the CB's really don't have good coverage technique and ball skill behavior after the bump. So it would be a lot worse if the bump was not there at all.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:17 AM   #3
Captain Sarcastic

OVR: 6

The problem is, the bump usually lasts for 10 yards. It should be pass interference, or whatever after 5 yards. It gets old that my routes get jacked up, cause I'm still locked up 10 yards down the field.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:16 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

I haven't seen too much bumping down the field although I have seen it a bit. At some point guys you will have to either get a WR in motion to get a free man off the bump, or get into formations where you can get picks and free someone up, or find unbumpable routes. Yes the game is not too realistic with its bumping, but at the same time there are some things we as users can do.

I for one don't like how the WR is basically controlled by the bump animation. He has no choice in the matter. That's BS and not how NFL WR's run their routes. They don't just go right into the CB. They may try to jab step and get the CB to bite one way and then they will release the other way if he does. Or they will fight the CB to get inside or outside leverage. The hand fighting that goes on between real CB's and WR's needs to happen a lot more in this game.

You can't just stand the WR up at the line, you have to hand check and jab him and then run with him. Standing a WR up at the line = a penalty. But they don't have all the animations and behavior programmed for this so they have to fill in with something I suppose.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:23 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

Second LBz's post on this. If you face tons of press 2 man, start running those motion drags and motion stops. You'll get a free release, a pick, and YAC on the former, and some nice short completions on the latter. Throw in a PA rollout stop pattern or PA rollouts with drags as well. The PA and rollout action in the play design will allow your WR enough time to come out of the bump, and those two routes will challenge lesser DBs to keep up and you can even sneak them by good DBs if things go well.

If I see a bunch of that I'll take a shot down field as well. The DBs bump the crap out of you when they land it, but when they miss, they're vulnerable big time.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-22-2009, 12:59 PM   #6
Pro

OVR: 12

It's only overpowered for the CPU, who can have some scrub CB with 60 Press hold Calvin Johnson (99 Beat Press) at the line for 3 seconds while also blitzing 8 people. Human CBs barely press even if told too, I try to run press coverage (my 2 starting CBs both have 90+ press), but as soon as the ball is snapped they backpedal and only reach out to put a hand on the WR as they come off the line... not exactly what I was looking for.

Yea, the motion drags can be used to beat the CPU press, but when the CPU uses press coverage 90% of the game, it's boring and somewhat exploitative to only be able to use motion drag routes to avoid having your WRs jammed at the line for 3 seconds while you have to take a sack every play.
Old 09-22-2009, 01:47 PM   #7
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

OVR: 16

Yes the Press is way over powered, but then again it has been for as long as I can remember.
Old 09-22-2009, 02:12 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 3

WAY too overpowered, its rare you'll see a whole team of receivers getting dominated for 5 seconds by corners no matter their skill, size, or strength. At the same time theres no risk in it because at the same time, a bad jam leaves a receiver wide open. Madden can never get things right.

Twitter - @Sicksteen_216

"I'm the best 2K player in the Northern Hemisphere"

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »