Home

4th and Inches (Part Two)

This is a discussion on 4th and Inches (Part Two) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-22-2009, 11:22 AM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
4th and Inches (Part Two)

In part two of 4th and Inches (read part one here), Kushmir Hassan lists the remaining fixes that he thinks would greatly improve the gameplay in Madden 10.

1. Rocket Catch – I watched a friend play online and witnessed his opponent getting interception after interception by clicking on the defender, going to the spot, turning around and leaping up to make picks. I also recently played a guy who used the Bears and did the rocket catch on the offensive side of the ball. My opponent was on his own 25-yard line with 10 seconds to go before the half. He called a play-action pass and did exactly the same thing that occurred in the defensive situation I explained above. Essentially, my opponent threw the ball to Devin Hester (frighteningly average at a 71), and Hester was able to leap up and take the ball away from Asante Samuel (95) and Quintin Mikell (86) who were playing a Cover 2 Man. My defenders never even jumped. Giving users the ability to trigger certain animations has always caused problems in Madden. A better system would allow us to press a button to make a "play" on the ball, but jumping diving and other animations would be triggered by a player’s attributes.

Read More - 4th and Inches (Part Two)
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-22-2009, 12:23 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 12
This is a good list. Too bad lists like this still have to be made though, especially after a game has been released a little over a month.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:39 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40
I think another solution for bump and run here is to just program better release/press behavior. They really need to re-program the animations and the behavior of the DB's. The way they have it here is a DB can hold a WR up at the line of scrimmage. The animation takes over and the WR has no choice of whether to be bumped or not, UNLESS you have unbumpable routes. They need to program more behaviors and animations for WR's to not get jammed so much. Jab step left then release right if the CB falls for the jab step. Strong WR's come off of the line and extend their arm and separate from the DB that way. Arm Chop the DB's hands and release inside or outside. These type of things should be implemented.

Forward Progress I agree, but I also see some other problems defensively too. Sometimes you hit the back in the backfield and then the animation just takes him forward for a 3 yard gain. In both cases it is momentum. Throwing curl routes and having a guy come back to the line of scrimmage like a dummy is annoying, but having a play read and getting into the backfield and hitting a back only to have the animation push both of you forward is just as annoying.

Pass D vs Run Formations - absolutely agree. I think one problem is the linemen try to block a spot and since there is no help logic then the uncovered linemen just run up the field and vacate gaps and that's when the DB's fill those holes and drop your HB for a loss. Secondly, it annoys me that a 330 lineman, is basically standing and dancing with a cornerback. Come on EA, either the CB should go low and try to derail this train or he is dumb enough to take on the man and get killed. How you have 330 linemen just running up and attaching to CB's is soft. Blow this man up and plant his a$$ into the dirt/turn. It's a cornerback for crying out loud.

They need to entitle Madden 2011 Trench Warfare and focus 70% of their game play efforts there. But that doesn't just mean at the line of scrimmage, that also means down field blocking. They also need to make sure that not every team is going to be good in the trenches. There is still a great degree of overlap in their game that does not distinguish the good OL and DL from the bad.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:42 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 11
Re: 4th and Inches (Part Two)

"Giving users the ability to trigger certain animations has always caused problems in Madden. A better system would allow us to press a button to make a "play" on the ball, but jumping diving and other animations would be triggered by a player’s attributes."

Both users have the same ability. Taking away user ability to influence plays takes away any skill in the game.
Old 09-22-2009, 01:44 PM   #5
Banned

cplus10's Arena

OVR: 7
EA ALSO SHOULD LET U CHOOSE GAMEPLAY SPEED ONLINE
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-22-2009, 01:52 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 26
Re: 4th and Inches (Part Two)

This game is 1st and goal and that list is a from 2006, Madden 10 has eradicated all those legacy issues. Madden 10 plays a great game of football, you just have to be knowledgeable in what it does right and stop focusing on what you think it does wrong.

You know, I could be wrong, but I doubt it.
Old 09-22-2009, 02:09 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 3
Everything you said is true, unfortunately I dont see it becoming fixed because Madden would have to change their whole programming scheme which is something their just not willing to do. =(
Old 09-22-2009, 04:22 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 21
Yeah the press coverage is irritating sometimes ok alot of the time. Im ready to see this game make another leap for Madden 11. I really enjoy this game but I do think they can make it that much better.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »