Home

No momentum/physics in Madden 10 - Just for fun :)

This is a discussion on No momentum/physics in Madden 10 - Just for fun :) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-23-2009, 12:28 PM   #1
Observer

guaps's Arena

OVR: 11
No momentum/physics in Madden 10 - Just for fun :)

I guess we have all heard about the issues with the speed burst, making even the slowest players in madden outshine Usain Bolt. And we've all seen players run full speed, stop on a nickel and jump several feet into the air (still present in Madden 10), but I've tried something to see if weight and momentum had an effect at all and it appears that it hasn't

This is what I did:
I edited Albert Haynesworth into a WR for the Eagles and gave him 99 Speed, Agility and Acceleration - changed nothing else. Then I chose practice mode - offensive only and ran a hail mary with Haynesworth and DeSean Jackson side-by-side. It was odd to see Haynesworth, who is almost a foot taller and weight close to double that of Jackson, out-run DeSean Jackson

I wish EA had incorporated some form of momentum into the game. It's clear that a 400 lb. player should accelerate slower than a 200 lb. guy, even if both player has a 99 acceleration rating, much less be able to keep up with a lighter guy in full speed.

An additional note was that Haynesworth was hauling in overhead passes, like he had done nothing else his whole life. Even when I aired it 40+ yards, he still caught it like he was Calvin Johnson. This, of course, was without a defense around him, but I would have liked to see him struggle to catch those kinds of passes even with no defense.

What I want to try next:
I'm going to take some of the shortest and lightest players in the game and convert them into a solid OL, giving them outstanding strength and blocking abilities and see how well they handle an attacking front 7, say, Pittsburgh or Ravens. I suspect that it will produce that same results as I found above, and that the small players will preform excellent.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-23-2009, 12:36 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 22
Re: No momentum/physics in Madden 10 - Just for fun :)

There IS momentum in Madden10, its just not pefect but what game is? Remember these guys had a nasty plate handed to them but overall i must say they did a mighty fine job of making a great game from a crap engine in 1 years time. Although i understand your gripe and im not knocking you for it..i understand everyone has their own gripes and personal dislikes,etc...fair enough i say

Quote:
Originally Posted by guaps
I guess we have all heard about the issues with the speed burst, making even the slowest players in madden outshine Usain Bolt. And we've all seen players run full speed, stop on a nickel and jump several feet into the air (still present in Madden 10), but I've tried something to see if weight and momentum had an effect at all and it appears that it hasn't

This is what I did:
I edited Albert Haynesworth into a WR for the Eagles and gave him 99 Speed, Agility and Acceleration - changed nothing else. Then I chose practice mode - offensive only and ran a hail mary with Haynesworth and DeSean Jackson side-by-side. It was odd to see Haynesworth, who is almost a foot taller and weight close to double that of Jackson, out-run DeSean Jackson

I wish EA had incorporated some form of momentum into the game. It's clear that a 400 lb. player should accelerate slower than a 200 lb. guy, even if both player has a 99 acceleration rating, much less be able to keep up with a lighter guy in full speed.

An additional note was that Haynesworth was hauling in overhead passes, like he had done nothing else his whole life. Even when I aired it 40+ yards, he still caught it like he was Calvin Johnson. This, of course, was without a defense around him, but I would have liked to see him struggle to catch those kinds of passes even with no defense.

What I want to try next:
I'm going to take some of the shortest and lightest players in the game and convert them into a solid OL, giving them outstanding strength and blocking abilities and see how well they handle an attacking front 7, say, Pittsburgh or Ravens. I suspect that it will produce that same results as I found above, and that the small players will preform excellent.
Old 09-23-2009, 12:38 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

OVR: 63

This is flat out ********. I am sorry but you did NOTHING. Everyone knows that the ratings are there for the very reason of stating how someone plays.

So to have a guy who is heavy and slow they give him a LOW speed ratings. But this other guy is faster.......so take a guess what they do........that is right they give them a higher speed rating. Rocket science I know but stick with me.

So if u give a 500 Lb guy or a 15 pound guy a 99 block rating. Well they will BOTH block to the rating given.

Amazing stuff u finding out here.
Old 09-23-2009, 12:54 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 25

Ratings themselves ARE irrelevant in madden, always have been. Size and weight have NOTHING to do with ratings....We all know this. But thanks for the info.....
Old 09-23-2009, 01:27 PM   #5
MVP

drlw322's Arena

OVR: 24

if you give a guy 99 accel, 99 agility, and 99 speed.

no matter how much he weight, he's going to run like a 99 move like a 99 and accel like a 99. It's video game and that's how it's program. That's why bigger guys have slower speed, agility, and accel rating.

Last edited by drlw322; 09-23-2009 at 01:30 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-23-2009, 01:40 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
This is what I did:
Wait, you gave both guys 99 Acc and Haynesworth 99 Spd and you're shocked he out ran DeSean Jackson?

Aren't all of those ratings better than what the WR has? So he SHOULD outrun him.

They did account for weight, etc - it's in the ratings. If a guy is 120 lb, he'll probably not have the STR rating of a 350 lb G or C or DT. If you don't want a 400 lb guy running like Hester or Chris Johnson - don't give him 97+ SPD.

I mean, think about it. Physics dictates that most guys that weigh 400 lb couldn't run like the wind, so they are rated to run slower. You defied physics by giving him a 99 SPD.

Physics influence with speed/weight = SPD, ACC, AGI ratings. Just my opinion.
Old 09-23-2009, 01:47 PM   #7
All Star

LionsFanNJ's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:

This is what I did:

What I want to try next:
Way to waste your time. You change the ratings making Haynesworth a better WR than jackson, yet b***h about him actually playing to the ratings you gave him? Cool story bro.
Old 09-23-2009, 02:20 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 10

Quote:

This is what I did:

What I want to try next:
This is where it got stupid. You're blaming EA for the unrealistic performance of a defensive tackle(Haynesworth) when it was you who edited his rating to an unrealistic level. Of course he outran Desean Jackson. Jackson's speed rating is in the high 90s ; however, it's not a 99. You also stated that you raised his agility and acceleration to 99(either equal to or higher than Jackson), but you're mad that he moves as well or better than Desean Jackson.

The way EA made weight, momentum and ratings matter is one, they strecthed them out ; two, they don't give high speed, agility and acceleration ratings to the relatively larger players in the game(Olinemen, Dlinemen). Conversely they don't give the highest strength and break tackle rating to the smaller players in the game.

Duh.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »