Home

Sounds of the game NFl and Madden football

This is a discussion on Sounds of the game NFl and Madden football within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 02:31 PM   #41
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Sounds of the game NFl and Madden football

Welcome, Erle!

Thanks a ton for coming here and soliciting feedback! It really means a lot.

Don't know if it's possible but at least 2 teams (Skins and Ravens) have marching bands that play before the game as well as during timeouts and after scores.

Along those lines, in DC the band will play "Hail to the Redskins" after every score, and tons of other teams have songs they play after scoring ("Bear Down," "Fly Eagles Fly," "The Bengal Growl," etc.)

I'm sure getting the rights to use these in the game might be a bit tedious, but I can't imagine it would be super-expensive, and it would make the game MUCH more immersive.

If putting team songs in isn't possible on your end, at least let us customize sounds like we can with NCAA so we can do them ourselves.

Thanks again for coming to OS!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-24-2009, 02:31 PM   #42
MVP

OVR: 15

from the looks of things, if Tom Hammond is in Madden 11 that will be the greatest travesty in the history of gaming. I think 95% of posts say get rid of Tom Hammond. Haha.
Old 09-24-2009, 02:35 PM   #43
Banned

OVR: 24

One idea: Copy MLB The Show's user-customized crowd chants. This way, for example, a Jets fan can record the "J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets" himself, then input it into the game, and all the fans would chant it.

Ditto for the Broncos "Incomplete" chant.

BUT------don't have it going on all game, obviously.Try and make it play specific, if at all possible.
Old 09-24-2009, 02:46 PM   #44
Banned

OVR: 4

oh yea, please get rid of the cheesy NFL music while watching replays I hate it :-D lol.
Old 09-24-2009, 02:51 PM   #45
MVP

mavfan21's Arena

OVR: 12

Thanks very much for coming to the site and listening. A lot of d-bags on this site don't realize how unique and cool it is that we have this access to the devs.

NOW, on the topic at hand the 2 things that I think would add lots more depth are:

1- Better/louder crowd reactions.
It would be great to hear the crowd slooowly build to absolute maximum volume on home team TD runs.

Not sure the best way to implement it but louder or more intense cheering on a last second play that wins the game or plays where home team takes the lead late. (better crowd animations at these points would be great if you could pass that along...)

Almost total silence when a star player is injured at home.

Very little cheering during long drives by the away team.

2- Deeper commentary
Somewhat self explanatory but hearing references to a players performance in a previous game ("He is coming off a great performance last week") or season ("He led the NFC in passing last year") would be AWESOME in franchise mode.

Hearing things like "He was the #1 overall pick in 2012", "He was a steal in the 2010 draft", "He was the NFC player of the week last week", in franchise mode would add sooooo much to the depth and feel of the game.
Old 09-24-2009, 02:54 PM   #46
Pro

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA_E_McCan
I would really love to know what you guys feel makes football so special when you're either at the game or watching it on TV when it comes to the sound of the game (Player chatter, tackles, crowd cheers/chants, etc)
Let me know, I would love to hear from football / Madden fans.
Thanks

Erle McCan
Lead Audio for Madden 11
Hi Erle,

Thanks for opening up the forum on the sound design for Madden 11. First I want to say that the Tiburon team is incredible and we all really appreciate you guys opening up to OS Sports like this to get ideas and let Madden gamers help out with your developement.

Im not a ***** so please don't take what im about to say personally or as a blind spiteful attack on Madden. I love Madden. But the sound design in recent years has been poor. In that regard, Im happy to hear you are the new guy on board and taking an active lead in getting things back on track.

The biggest issue is the commentary. This is what we hear 95% of the time while playing the game, and unfortunately it has also been virtually un-listenable from a play by play standpoint since last-gen. Dumping John Madden and Al Michaels for the "radio guy" was a huge mistake, and Tom Hammond is not much of an improvement. I dont know whether its his un-emotive, robotic play calling, or shabby editing of his lines that make him sound like a Speak-n-Spell, but it's the absolute worst announcing in current sports games. This must be addressed moving forward. Please bring back Al Michaels or someone who sounds natural to work with Cris Collinsworth (who is excellent by the way). Make the game flow and sound like it does on TV.

Progressive commentary is important too. Telling us the story of the game as it progresses. Recounting what players have done in the game (and season) up to now. There are a lot of great examples of sound design out there. MLB The Show, MLB2K, Fifa and NBA2K are all excellent because, baring the repetition, they sound like a true-2-life broadcast.

I feel that should be the goal of any great sports game - to bring the sense of watching a sport on TV and put it in the hands of gamers playing that sports videogame. All the things you need to pay attention to are there in real life broadcasts. Watching telecasts will feed you every bit of advice you'll need.

We are a much more demanding bunch these days. We were spoiled by the excellent work of NFL2K5 (Chris Berman's stuff remains a benchmark for studio commentary and analysis). We would like nothing better than for you guys to finally knock that 5 year old sound design out of the park. It's all in the details and polish these days. Please pay close attention to how broadcasts handle certain events. Commentated highlights, Extra Point shows, talking about replays, mentioning scores from around the league, opinions on coaches challenges and everything in between the whistles needs to be fleshed out in Madden. Avoiding stiff repetion is also important for replay value. The NFL is a game of exposition and analysis. Much like MLB The Show handles the slower pace, so too should a great football game like Madden.

I wish you the best of luck as you guys begin work on next year's game. I look forward to hearing about your ideas and progress. There is a lot of work to be done, but also a ton of opportunity to grow Madden's sound design. All the best to you and your team!

Last edited by johnprestonevans; 09-24-2009 at 02:56 PM.
Old 09-24-2009, 02:54 PM   #47
Hall Of Fame

z Revis's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejccva71
I've been to MANY Redskins games and they always play Rock and Roll Part 2 by Gary Glitter.

However when the song does "Heyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy", the Redskin fans intervene and say "you suck!" after. It's a tradition even though the skins aren't very good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMDmZ...om=PL&index=12
lmao I LOVE when Redskins fans say that "HEYYY, YOU SUCK!" hahahahaha.
Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Old 09-24-2009, 02:57 PM   #48
MVP

OVR: 24

Need more Player Chatter overall. When choosing a play, the QB should say the play, and we hear the teams' hands clap. Alot of talking at the line. Alot of shouting when TD's are scored. Some grunting sounds during fumble pileups. Players screaming "fumble!"
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »