Home

Are people actually buying the AFL Legacy pack?

This is a discussion on Are people actually buying the AFL Legacy pack? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-24-2009, 04:03 PM   #33
Pro

OVR: 9
Re: Are people actually buying the AFL Legacy pack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayAllen20
Madden gives free DLC all the time. Roster updates is basically free DLC. They dont have to give you the AFL legacy pack, but they are.
I really don't want to do this to a fellow Jets fan, but I will...

EA gives NOTHING away. Last year, they tore the franchise mode up, and sold it seperately, but you couldn't actually PLAY the games in Head Coach, and you couldn't really "run your franchise"...Remember a year or 2 ago, when they didn't include alt uniforms, and they planned on charging for them at a later date, until there was a semi-revolt and EA buckled. What made that disgusting is that both LIVE and NHL had all the alt uniforms in the game, out of the box...But I guess that's what happens when there is another company making NBA and NHL games...

The roster updates they so graciously give us for free isn't something they could charge for, at least not right now...Unless they did it across all the sports games they release...Because then, just like the alt uniforms, it will come down to monopoly on the NFL, and I would hope that even the rose colored glasses might shatter for the EA fanboys then...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmay
There are no free fighters for the UFC game. You have to buy them, unless you preordered from Gamestop (just like how EA did the 5 min demo with Gamestop).

So your attempted example isn't any good.
I saw them up on the marketplace for free (I did see them with a 2.99 price tag on the PSN though, so you could be right). I don't remember when I saw the fighters posted on the marketplace, so if I'm wrong about that, sorry...

I should have just used Tiger Woods, because the insane screwjob they're pulling with the DLC is insane...I have TW 09, and I had planned on picking up the new one...Until the day before it came out, there were 2 courses on the XBL marketplace for 600 pts each. I think there is a total of 7 courses up for download now. So you pay roughly 53 bucks for just under half of the courses included on the disc. One was a pre-order bonus (Spyglass Hill I think), but they are asking people to pay for courses they bought last year. I could see if there was some huge jump in visuals, or if they had a brand new engine...But it is nothing other than EA trying to squeeze every red cent they can out of the consumer....And if the courses are like they were in 09, they aren't integrated into the tour mode at all, so they are just for online, or single rounds offline...

But I digress...EA are whores, and hrts me every time I purchase a game they developed or published new...Some stuff I can wait on, but for NCAA football, it's a there on the spot purchase...And I'm not a crazed 2k fanboy either....2k baseball took a HUGE step backwards this year, and it made me happy that I had bought a PS3 earlier this year...Because The Show rocks...

I just hate it how EA will squeeze ppl blind.
Old 09-24-2009, 04:13 PM   #34
MVP

FunkDockta27's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGROC
I really don't want to do this to a fellow Jets fan, but I will...

EA gives NOTHING away. Last year, they tore the franchise mode up, and sold it seperately, but you couldn't actually PLAY the games in Head Coach, and you couldn't really "run your franchise"...Remember a year or 2 ago, when they didn't include alt uniforms, and they planned on charging for them at a later date, until there was a semi-revolt and EA buckled. What made that disgusting is that both LIVE and NHL had all the alt uniforms in the game, out of the box...But I guess that's what happens when there is another company making NBA and NHL games...

The roster updates they so graciously give us for free isn't something they could charge for, at least not right now...Unless they did it across all the sports games they release...Because then, just like the alt uniforms, it will come down to monopoly on the NFL, and I would hope that even the rose colored glasses might shatter for the EA fanboys then...

I saw them up on the marketplace for free (I did see them with a 2.99 price tag on the PSN though, so you could be right). I don't remember when I saw the fighters posted on the marketplace, so if I'm wrong about that, sorry...

I should have just used Tiger Woods, because the insane screwjob they're pulling with the DLC is insane...I have TW 09, and I had planned on picking up the new one...Until the day before it came out, there were 2 courses on the XBL marketplace for 600 pts each. I think there is a total of 7 courses up for download now. So you pay roughly 53 bucks for just under half of the courses included on the disc. One was a pre-order bonus (Spyglass Hill I think), but they are asking people to pay for courses they bought last year. I could see if there was some huge jump in visuals, or if they had a brand new engine...But it is nothing other than EA trying to squeeze every red cent they can out of the consumer....And if the courses are like they were in 09, they aren't integrated into the tour mode at all, so they are just for online, or single rounds offline...

But I digress...EA are whores, and hrts me every time I purchase a game they developed or published new...Some stuff I can wait on, but for NCAA football, it's a there on the spot purchase...And I'm not a crazed 2k fanboy either....2k baseball took a HUGE step backwards this year, and it made me happy that I had bought a PS3 earlier this year...Because The Show rocks...

what you say may be true. but its the same with every company. dude seriously i believe a shop vac costs like $0.12 to make here in the US, and $0.06 in china...per unit...then you take that to Lowes and sell it for roughly $45.00...everyone makes a profit but the consumer. Its how it is man. I feel ya on the Tiger Woods thing...at some point they'll price damn near everyone out, and then have to re-evaluate. Capitalism at its finest...ahhhhhh yeeeeah. But like you said about TW, you got two choices man (buy or don't buy), I dont feel that complaining much will fix anything. All the big time corporations want is more money...and less effort and work put into it, meanwhile putting out more product.

I bought it, and I'm not regretting it...sure would i have been even more thrilled it was already on the disc? Hell yeah! But it wasnt, so I bought the add on...

FIFA12 PS3
St Pats 44 pts; 2nd place

NCAA14 PS3
Career W-L: 50-39
NoTex 2013 CUSA Champs
Old 09-24-2009, 04:13 PM   #35
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
I think EA gets unfairly singled out for this. Almost ALL developers charge for DLC, or make it exclusive to certain conditions if it's to be free at some point. It's a rapidly growing trend and it's largely based on what research tells them consumers are willing to pay for.

I agree the charging for courses in TW, for example, is shady a best, but I find it hard to fault them without a hat tip to the impulsive consumer who rushes out to buy everything that is made available...regardless of cost. As I said, other companies have capitalized on it as well, EA just has a larger library of games out at a given time, so it's more noticeable.

Guitar Hero/Rock Band are other good examples of where DLC goes crazy (those songs add up). Often times, a little patience yields some free DLC, when companies don't get the return on it they hope for.

As always, to a large extent, we dictate these actions more than we care to admit. All that said, I don't feel this DLC falls into that category, as it does add a fair portion of things that aren't standard fair. It's perfectly reasonable for others to disagree and not purchase it, of course.

Last edited by SoxFan01605; 09-24-2009 at 04:15 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-24-2009, 04:14 PM   #36
MVP

FunkDockta27's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFan01605
I think EA gets unfairly singled out for this. ALL companies charge for DLC, or make it exclusive to certain conditions if it's to be free. It's largely based on what research tells them consumers are willing to pay for.

I agree the charging for courses in TW, for example, is shady a best, but I find it hard to fault them without a hat tip to the impulsive consumer who rushes out to buy everything that is made available...regardless of cost.

Other companies have capitalized on it as well, EA just has a larger library of games out at a given time, so it's more noticeable.

Guitar Hero/Rock Band are other good examples of where DLC goes crazy (those songs add up). Often times, a little patience yields some free DLC, when companies don't get the return on it they hope for.

As always, to a large extent, we dictate these actions more than we care to admit. All that said, I don't feel this DLC falls into that category, as it does add a fair portion of things that aren't standard fair. It's perfectly reasonable for others to disagree and not purchase it, of course.
PREACH BROTHA SOX!

FIFA12 PS3
St Pats 44 pts; 2nd place

NCAA14 PS3
Career W-L: 50-39
NoTex 2013 CUSA Champs
Old 09-24-2009, 04:21 PM   #37
Rookie

nolan273's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
I guess that's something we just have to get accustomed to. Money makes the world go 'round, and as long as there's money to be made, EA, Activision, and any other company is going to try to get it.

I wish they had included the AFL pack on the game disc, but I'm willing to fork over the $7.50 or whatever. I spend nearly that much on bottled water and sodas every day. At least I can get more than a few minutes of enjoyment out of the DLC.
Old 09-24-2009, 04:49 PM   #38
Rookie

smonee's Arena

OVR: 4

I am going to buy it, i have been waiting for it to start my Raiders franchise....i just wish a roster update would have came out today as well.....

as far as madden shop and other $$$ add ons - i like the features and i dont think anyone likes paying for them. i think i am up to $15 bucks so far in purchases. i am able to have Favre for one more yr, save a key player from a career ending injury, max progression a C potential player i like, ect...

all of the $$$ features are making my franchises a little more interesting.....

i agree with most of the people on this post...dont like it - dont buy it!!
Old 09-24-2009, 05:39 PM   #39
WAT

Mr. Franchise's Arena

OVR: 33

What sickens me is people let this happen. We should not being paying for uniforms and cheat codes.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:45 PM   #40
Banned

2krules's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Franchise
What sickens me is people let this happen. We should not being paying for uniforms and cheat codes.
I didn't pay for cheat codes.

And I'm not paying for uniforms. If this were just uniforms, I would not have bought it. The retro presentation is what draws me in, and I think anyone would be hard-pressed to believe that it "should have been included in the game", seeing that it is a unique feature that has never been in a football game before.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »