Home

Unnecessary Roughness

This is a discussion on Unnecessary Roughness within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-26-2009, 03:57 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 5
Unnecessary Roughness

First of all... let me just say how bitter I am in the first place of the concept in general. It's ****ing football, it's rough, period.

But in Madden what is considered "unnecessary roughness" goes entirely too far.

I'm sick of making tackles near the sidelines that are flagged for "unnecessary roughness." Sure, it appears the player in question is running out of bounds, but there's nothing to state that they don't have the necessary quickness to juke my defender and remain inbounds if I don't make the tackle.

But thanks to the lack of a slider to adjust the unnecessary roughness call, I'm forced to just try to let players near the sideline go free, and hope that they don't make me look stupid and stay in bounds (unfortunately, it's happened twice, and I'm ****ing sick of it).

It's obvious from the first patch that penalties can be adjusted... so make sure to look into this one for the next patch. Either add a slider, or decrease the frequency of the call on the backend. I don't care how it's done, just ****ing fix it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-26-2009, 04:05 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 24
Re: Unnecessary Roughness

And last year, one of the complaints was the ability to drill a player out of bounds and NOT get flagged for it.

Lose/lose situation for EA, I suppose......
Old 09-26-2009, 04:09 PM   #3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Segagendude
And last year, one of the complaints was the ability to drill a player out of bounds and NOT get flagged for it.

Lose/lose situation for EA, I suppose......
It would be fine if they stopped taking things to the extremes.

But if the best they could do was one or the other then by all means, let's go with the blitz style of tackling out of bounds. It's not "sim" either way as it is, but at least ala blitz style won't completely **** up a game.

If I initiate a tackle while the player is in bounds, i shouldn't be getting flagged for unnecessary roughness because the actual contact was made out of bounds. EA decided that some players should tackle like slugs, not me.
Old 09-26-2009, 04:11 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 15

Ironically i was wondering the exact opposite if this was actually called on hits out of bounds. I saw it in the demo called against me but since the game came out I have not seen one called. Lol how two people get two different extreme experiences in this game
Old 09-26-2009, 04:14 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 24

To be honest, I don't have this problem. I'm able to tackle a guy close to the sidelines and have it clean.

Keep in mind, unlike real life, the CPU probably won't juke you to stay in bounds. At least from what I've seen, they'll continue to run straight out of bounds, so a late hit or shove or whatever isn't necessary.

I don't play online, but I suppose online players will try to stay in bounds. This could then cause a problem with the late hit penalties, which I'd agree with having them toned down...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-26-2009, 04:25 PM   #6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poetique
First of all... let me just say how bitter I am in the first place of the concept in general. It's ****ing football, it's rough, period.

But in Madden what is considered "unnecessary roughness" goes entirely too far.

I'm sick of making tackles near the sidelines that are flagged for "unnecessary roughness." Sure, it appears the player in question is running out of bounds, but there's nothing to state that they don't have the necessary quickness to juke my defender and remain inbounds if I don't make the tackle.

But thanks to the lack of a slider to adjust the unnecessary roughness call, I'm forced to just try to let players near the sideline go free, and hope that they don't make me look stupid and stay in bounds (unfortunately, it's happened twice, and I'm ****ing sick of it).

It's obvious from the first patch that penalties can be adjusted... so make sure to look into this one for the next patch. Either add a slider, or decrease the frequency of the call on the backend. I don't care how it's done, just ****ing fix it.

The exact way that YOU feel right now....Is the SAME way all these DEFENDERS in real life feel!!

And thats why its in the game
Old 09-26-2009, 04:31 PM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenp1518
The exact way that YOU feel right now....Is the SAME way all these DEFENDERS in real life feel!!

And thats why its in the game
I'm fine with it being in the game... just not so poorly implemented.

The game I'm playing right now has been annoying as hell anyway, but that just really ticked me off because on the next play it resulted in a touchdown.

Now I'm more pissed about that lack of ability to run the damn play... I make an audible, 8 seconds left on the clock...

A!.... nothing

A A A.... nothing.

A DAMNIT, A, SNAP THE BALL

"Delay of game, on the offense"

Wtf?

And then after kickoff I have to watch my kicker run BEHIND the ball carrier and then try to catch up to him, as opposed to cutting him off... touchdown giants. >_<
Old 09-26-2009, 04:36 PM   #8
Rookie

permanent1's Arena

OVR: 8

Never had this problem on the rare occasion it is called it is a legit hit out of bounds.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »