Home

Old 09-29-2009, 10:24 AM   #81
Banned

sois's Arena

OVR: 24
Re: Ratings and The Easter Bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyJim76
i wish someone in the online league had the guts to play with kickers and punters as their offensive line vs ian online and then post videos of it.

that would be hilarious.
YES THAT IS AWESOME!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-29-2009, 10:38 AM   #82
MVP

mavfan21's Arena

OVR: 12

Skimmed the whole convo and didn't see anyone reply to the question: what difficulty and sliders were you on?

I am not surprised some of these ratings don't matter, in fact I started a thread back in the spring on the seemingly stupid overkill of ratings (PBK footwork, Run block strength...why have RBS when you already have strength as a rating? strength is strength).

I will play around with the ratings when I get home on all-pro with my sliders and see if there's a difference. There is no doubt that CTH, THP, THA, Throwing on run, SPD, TRK, ELU and other "sexy" ratings work. Anyone that plays all-pro or higher can see that. But I'll be interested in seeing if RBK, PBK actually matter.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:48 AM   #83
Rookie

OVR: 3

My sliders were a little tougher than base all-Pro, nearer to All-Pro than All-Madden, nothing extreme on any of the settings.
Old 09-29-2009, 12:53 PM   #84
Banned

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavfan21
I am not surprised some of these ratings don't matter, in fact I started a thread back in the spring on the seemingly stupid overkill of ratings (PBK footwork, Run block strength...why have RBS when you already have strength as a rating? strength is strength).
Yea, there are definitely superfluous ratings.
Old 09-29-2009, 02:38 PM   #85
MVP

mavfan21's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by exclusivelover
Yea, there are definitely superfluous ratings.
I find the Run/Pass Block Strength/Footwork to be the most ridiculous. Why not go back to simple Pass Block, Run Block and the default strength, speed, agility rating?

Make them matter. If a guy has good speed agility and pass block, he's a great OT. High strength, run block decent speed, he's a great pulling OG. Etc...

Don't muddy it up with superfluous crap.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-29-2009, 03:00 PM   #86
MVP

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavfan21
I find the Run/Pass Block Strength/Footwork to be the most ridiculous. Why not go back to simple Pass Block, Run Block and the default strength, speed, agility rating?

Make them matter. If a guy has good speed agility and pass block, he's a great OT. High strength, run block decent speed, he's a great pulling OG. Etc...

Don't muddy it up with superfluous crap.
I disagree with the idea of removing ratings and making it "basic"

Each player IRL has their own strengths and weaknesses when it comes to blocking. Some are tight in the hips and have poor footwork but are strong as an ox(several linemen in the NFL). Some have great footwork and fluid movement but are fairly weak(Joe Staley type) By making it down to run block and pass block players are no longer playing like their RL counter parts.

Grant it, you need the ratings to work but this may be a malfunction in the programming. Lets take another game example to prove my point...

In Total War: Medieval 2, people complained about the logic the CPU used. The tests people used was an archer VS an archer unit. The CPU logic did not provide proper reaction because the game was used to fighting in an army setting where foot men would fight and archers would hang back and attack.

It may be the case in point that Madden 10 did not provide a proper scale of the ratings. Meaning, a player may have a 12 rating but he will play the same as a 40-50. Then when you compare a 40-50 player to a 90+ there may not be a big enough difference in performance. I say this because when I built a run blocking line(lowest RBS 96 and lowest RBF was 93) I was able to average 4+ yards per carry on standard All Pro by simply following my blocks. I was rarely stuffed in the back field(side note being I did not use any pull or draw plays because IMO they are broken)

Obviously, madden does not take weight/height or momentum into their game play. And it is also obvious that the CPU gets a boost when playing compared to you(on All Pro). Those are becoming well known facts. I was trying to shed light to what the real problem may be(and it may also be that the ratings mean nothing at all but it may also be that there isnt a big enough difference between good and bad) In the end we dont really know. We cant look at the code ourselves to find out what the formula is they are using to have the outcomes that happen in the game.
Old 09-29-2009, 03:06 PM   #87
Rookie

OVR: 6
the problem is, they cant look at the code and fix it either!
Old 09-29-2009, 03:13 PM   #88
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorious Arc
I disagree with the idea of removing ratings and making it "basic"

Each player IRL has their own strengths and weaknesses when it comes to blocking. Some are tight in the hips and have poor footwork but are strong as an ox(several linemen in the NFL). Some have great footwork and fluid movement but are fairly weak(Joe Staley type) By making it down to run block and pass block players are no longer playing like their RL counter parts.
I understand your point, but I think the game could use a few less ratings - which makes the ratings that exist even more important because they encompass more aspects of skill/physical ability.

For example, footwork/body control could go into AGI (the ability to control and manipulate your body). Blocking strength could go into STR (the ability to exert power/force behind your movements).

Then the way to make a physically weak-but-still-effective OL would be lowish STR (for his position) and very high AGI (for his position). Say the average STR is 75 and AGI 70 for an OL. This type of player could have 65 STR and 90 AGI or something of that nature along with a good RBL rating. He becomes weak against raw power moves, but he could use his AGI to hold up against spin moves as well as direct the defender so that he still creates his gap on the play. Throw in good ACC and you have a guy that gets off the snap (ACC), can change directions well (AGI), understand blocking assignments and engage the block (RBL), and have enough STR so that he can hold his own on the field (STR).

I think what fewer ratings would do is require more creativity in player ratings so that diverse player types can still be reflected, otherwise it would tend to fall into the "everyone looks the same" trap.

That said, it might be easier on the designers (and, presumably, easier then for them to get solid) to take the ratings that DO matter and incorporate more into them and drop the ones that don't.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »