Home

Old 09-29-2009, 10:23 PM   #113
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: Ratings and The Easter Bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorious Arc
If you use Pass Block as a general term that leaves players being to vague. As stated footwork is learned not natural. Also, you dont have to be a strong person to be a strong pass blocker. You can also be a strong person but have bad strength in pass blocking. I remember my friend talking about the guy he was training who was 6'6" 340 pounds was the state weight lifting champ...But when he tried to block he looked like he was playing patty cake. Do you see what I mean about being able to use your strength in blocking and just being strong?
Yeah, that makes sense. I agree there needs to be "technique" type ratings for sure.

Then, perhaps what needs to die is most of the physical ratings.

Keep just Spd, Sta, Inj, throwing power, the new acc ratings, and the rest are technique/skills.

And I understand the desire for weight/height to mean a lot - I just can't think of any sports game that applies true physics (not saying there aren't any, I just haven't experienced them). For example, you could make a baseball player weight 40 pounds and hit 70 HR, things like that.

Getting height to matter on high/jump-ball passes or reflected in the ease in which a DL can bat down a QB's passes would seem on the difficult side, never mind calculating the proper amount of leverage a 6' 4" 300 lb DL would apply on a 5' 10" 230 lb HB.

I think if the ratings system is done well - it won't matter as much, because ratings can be reflective of performance in a skill, which is impacted in real life by physics. Then it would just be up to us players not to cheese and make a 400 lb guy with 99 SPD, just like you wouldn't create Cecil Fielder in MLB: The Show and give him a 99 speed rating.

I just can't imagine the developers - who can't get a rating-based system as well as it can/should be, getting true physics in the game.

Last edited by KBLover; 09-29-2009 at 10:27 PM.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:52 PM   #114
Negative Vibe Merchant

pilonv1's Arena

OVR: 8

So the conclusion is that there's a significant advantage in having a superstar OL, but there's not a significant disadvantage in having a very poor OL.

2+ seconds with a 12 OVR OL is 2 seconds too long.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:30 PM   #115
Rookie

OVR: 5

Another issue that I haven't seen mentioned is that with the excessive amount of ratings, how many are anywhere near accurate? The amount of time, data, and film needed to make the overly detailed ratings accurate would be too much. Is EA really just giving good players better ratings in these areas just because they are better overall?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-29-2009, 11:33 PM   #116
MVP

RaiderKtulu's Arena

OVR: 13

Ok. The entire rating system is relative to each position. Remember, even the worst NFL offensive lineman is still capable of blocking most of the time, or he wouldn't have made it to NFL level. He's not going to get beat every play...but he is going to get hit with holding and false starts more often...in real life anyway. The issue here is that you can have a punter on the O-line, not that the game uses his ratings to let him be capable of blocking once he's there. Yes, in reality a punter would get killed if you put him on the O-line, but only a braindead moron would do that.

You guys are making a big issue out of a stupid glitch/loophole that no one should use anyway.

EA needs to fix the CPU depth chart management... and you need to not put your damn punter on the O-Line. Play the game properly. You people all want to be "sim" yet you go out and look for stupid ish that can be exploited.

This is almost as stupid as the video last year with "lets hot route 11 guys to cover one receiver" crap.

I'm not saying the O-line play doesn't need work... but putting your punter there is a freaking stupid way to try to show it.
Old 09-30-2009, 12:02 AM   #117
Banned

sois's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorious Arc
They have been building the next gen game since 2006. Can you imagine the amount of coding that one little rating in the game has been inter worked into several different lines of codes to have the game perform? To remove that would mean they would have to recalculate EVERYTHING that that one little attribute was embedded in to have all the animations that are connected to it work properly and then they would have to make another system and redo it all over again.

That is what is required when you do something as "simple" as remove one attribute from the game. To an average person who has never done anything with computer and video game code they dont realize the magnitude it would require to do something like that.
They seemed to "unhook" pass accuracy (the general one) pretty easily. They just made three new categories to use in the calculations.
Old 09-30-2009, 12:04 AM   #118
Banned

sois's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderKtulu
Ok. The entire rating system is relative to each position. Remember, even the worst NFL offensive lineman is still capable of blocking most of the time, or he wouldn't have made it to NFL level. He's not going to get beat every play...but he is going to get hit with holding and false starts more often...in real life anyway. The issue here is that you can have a punter on the O-line, not that the game uses his ratings to let him be capable of blocking once he's there. Yes, in reality a punter would get killed if you put him on the O-line, but only a braindead moron would do that.

You guys are making a big issue out of a stupid glitch/loophole that no one should use anyway.

EA needs to fix the CPU depth chart management... and you need to not put your damn punter on the O-Line. Play the game properly. You people all want to be "sim" yet you go out and look for stupid ish that can be exploited.

This is almost as stupid as the video last year with "lets hot route 11 guys to cover one receiver" crap.

I'm not saying the O-line play doesn't need work... but putting your punter there is a freaking stupid way to try to show it.
The game does it automatically very often.
Old 09-30-2009, 12:36 AM   #119
MVP

RaiderKtulu's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sois
The game does it automatically very often.
Like I said, they need to fix the CPU roster/depth chart management. I'm not saying that part isn't broken.
Old 09-30-2009, 12:59 AM   #120
Banned

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderKtulu

I'm sorry, but your argument does not hold any weight.

You are saying that every linemen in the NFL is capable to some extent of pass protection and run blocking. This is true, but would you mind telling me what position the punter made it to the NFL as? He should not even be capable of blocking in the way you present your argument of scrub linemen's ability to do so.

Us sim ballers do not find a problem with this Punter scenario because Maddens claim as a football simulation should solve problems like these. It should simulate the end result of the most likely outcome of a real NFL game.

It also is just a benchmark scenario to question the point for drafting/scouting/developing signing quality O-Linemen when it is proven any player from any position will do. If a punter can block sufficiently, why would I not cut corners on acquiring top-tier talent when I can allocate the money elsewhere.

So please don't put the onus on us "brain-dead morons" who prove that Madden is no simulation, nor anything close to resembling one. A properly functioning game would account for a punter's deficiencies as a lineman, Madden does not. So maybe it is time you blamed the "brain-dead" developers who should be making sure players putting Punters at left tackle are punished for it through the game engine, and not a mere conscious feeling of "cheating" a game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »