Home
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2009, 02:43 AM   #121
Pro
 
OVR: 11
Join Date: Aug 2008
Re: Ratings and The Easter Bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmccormi
I'm sorry, but your argument does not hold any weight.

You are saying that every linemen in the NFL is capable to some extent of pass protection and run blocking. This is true, but would you mind telling me what position the punter made it to the NFL as? He should not even be capable of blocking in the way you present your argument of scrub linemen's ability to do so.

Us sim ballers do not find a problem with this Punter scenario because Maddens claim as a football simulation should solve problems like these. It should simulate the end result of the most likely outcome of a real NFL game.

It also is just a benchmark scenario to question the point for drafting/scouting/developing signing quality O-Linemen when it is proven any player from any position will do. If a punter can block sufficiently, why would I not cut corners on acquiring top-tier talent when I can allocate the money elsewhere.

So please don't put the onus on us "brain-dead morons" who prove that Madden is no simulation, nor anything close to resembling one. A properly functioning game would account for a punter's deficiencies as a lineman, Madden does not. So maybe it is time you blamed the "brain-dead" developers who should be making sure players putting Punters at left tackle are punished for it through the game engine, and not a mere conscious feeling of "cheating" a game.

a punter would never be on the OL in a real nfl game.

i think his arguement is a good one. the game is supposed to be sim, so find some "sim" ways to show that things dont work. i do agree that the OL ratings should matter more, but sticking a punter in there to show your point is not a good idea.
Guggy107 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-30-2009, 03:04 AM   #122
Banned
 
OVR: 7
Join Date: Jan 2008
Re: Ratings and The Easter Bunny

That is absurd. When you say this game is sim, you not in fact saying that Madden is a simulation of NFL football. If this were indeed the case, a simulation would not have these flaws in logic or design.

A simulation by definition should take all variables into account to emulate its desired entity. In this case, the game should he trying to replicate what 'would' happen in said scenario, not dismiss it because it is not a typical instance that occurs in the NFL.

What logic is it that a punter should be able to block an NFL defensive end because he shouldn't be in there in the first place? So if Jeff Feagles comes into a real game for Diehl at LT, that Demarcus Ware isn't going to blow past him because he shouldn't be out there.

With your logic than that would be the case. If not, then maybe you should accept that Madden is no sim and has serious flaws in logic, programming, and execution.
tmccormi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 03:18 AM   #123
MVP
 
RaiderKtulu's Arena
 
OVR: 13
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Ohio
Re: Ratings and The Easter Bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmccormi
That is absurd. When you say this game is sim, you not in fact saying that Madden is a simulation of NFL football. If this were indeed the case, a simulation would not have these flaws in logic or design.

A simulation by definition should take all variables into account to emulate its desired entity. In this case, the game should he trying to replicate what 'would' happen in said scenario, not dismiss it because it is not a typical instance that occurs in the NFL.

What logic is it that a punter should be able to block an NFL defensive end because he shouldn't be in there in the first place? So if Jeff Feagles comes into a real game for Diehl at LT, that Demarcus Ware isn't going to blow past him because he shouldn't be out there.

With your logic than that would be the case. If not, then maybe you should accept that Madden is no sim and has serious flaws in logic, programming, and execution.
What do you want them to do, have a motion capture session and capture the animations for the 5'7 punter diving out of the way and curling up on the ground before the D-Lineman hits him?

Trying to break the game's logic by doing stupid things doesn't mean the game is broken.

If Jeff Feagles lines up on the offensive line in real game, he'll be spending a few years in one of those nice padded white rooms, probably wearing a tutu and claiming to be Batman.
RaiderKtulu is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 08:17 AM   #124
Rookie
 
OVR: 6
Join Date: Jul 2004
i see your point but madden opens itself up to these criticisms by having poor AI depth chart logic.
PhillyJim76 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 09:14 AM   #125
MVP
 
RaiderKtulu's Arena
 
OVR: 13
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Ohio
Re: Ratings and The Easter Bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyJim76
i see your point but madden opens itself up to these criticisms by having poor AI depth chart logic.
...and that's the issue that needs fixed.

For the record, while you can't put a punter on the O-line in 2k8 - you CAN create an O-lineman at 5'6 150lbs, bronze with an ability like speed burner or something else unrelated to blocking.... and... guess what, he can block too.

I guess that game is broken now too.
RaiderKtulu is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-30-2009, 09:25 AM   #126
Rookie
 
OVR: 5
Join Date: Jul 2004
Re: Ratings and The Easter Bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderKtulu
What do you want them to do, have a motion capture session and capture the animations for the 5'7 punter diving out of the way and curling up on the ground before the D-Lineman hits him?

Trying to break the game's logic by doing stupid things doesn't mean the game is broken.
How about a "the OL sucks and gets beat nearly immediately" animation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderKtulu
For the record, while you can't put a punter on the O-line in 2k8 - you CAN create an O-lineman at 5'6 150lbs, bronze with an ability like speed burner or something else unrelated to blocking.... and... guess what, he can block too.

I guess that game is broken now too.
You can put a punter on the OL and he will get destroyed by even a generic DL. The punter will be quickly pushed down or tossed aside.

Weight and height needed to be ignored in APF. Most of the older OL and DL players, despite being great players in their era, are far too small compared to modern players.

Last edited by Cobra84; 09-30-2009 at 09:30 AM.
Cobra84 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 09:28 AM   #127
Rookie
 
OVR: 6
Join Date: Jul 2004
false.

2K8 has a totally different ratings system. simply by creating a tiny bronze lineman, he has lineman type skills.

good try though.
PhillyJim76 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 09:33 AM   #128
Banned
 
OVR: 7
Join Date: Jan 2008
Re: Ratings and The Easter Bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderKtulu
What do you want them to do, have a motion capture session and capture the animations for the 5'7 punter diving out of the way and curling up on the ground before the D-Lineman hits him?

Trying to break the game's logic by doing stupid things doesn't mean the game is broken.

If Jeff Feagles lines up on the offensive line in real game, he'll be spending a few years in one of those nice padded white rooms, probably wearing a tutu and claiming to be Batman.
Are you honestly expecting me to believe that Madden doesn't have enough animations for the game engine to say, "hey, this guy is only a 12 in blocking, let's let him get manhandled by Justin Tuck." I've seen enough animations where Olinemen spin in a circle or look away from a pass rusher, so why not just have these animations play for a punter.

The fact that a punter was used in this scenario is irrelevant. The point was to show any player with a 12 in a block rating can hold their own at a level comprable to that of a 99 rated Olinemen. Madden not having a specific animation for a punter at oline isn't the problem, it's that they don't have any animations or logic for an awful player at that line. It isn't that we are doing something to break the logic of the game, it is that there is no logic to begin with.

Time to take off the fanboy glasses dude. There is no way you can defend a company with the resources of EA to allow such ridiculous and unrealistic things to happen in madden.
tmccormi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:42 PM.

Top -