Home

Old 10-02-2009, 04:39 PM   #265
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: Ratings and The Easter Bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
then couldn't we say that ratings have no effect in any sports video game? I mean the outcome has to be either affected by ratings or completely random doesn't it?
No -- Well I dont know about all -- But I am a sports video game junkie - 41 years old and been following this stuff for a while. Even the great Atari 4 on 4! But there is no reason to have any theories here -- just test it takes 10 minutes and you can see.. There is no impact. Others are not like this -- MLB 09 very great statistical correlations to player ratings.

But again -- Just test this for yourself and if you still think ratings matter in OL/DL then great.. There is no man more blind than one who will not see..

www.timeRAZOR.com
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-02-2009, 05:09 PM   #266
Pro

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhite1347
No -- Well I dont know about all -- But I am a sports video game junkie - 41 years old and been following this stuff for a while. Even the great Atari 4 on 4! But there is no reason to have any theories here -- just test it takes 10 minutes and you can see.. There is no impact. Others are not like this -- MLB 09 very great statistical correlations to player ratings.

But again -- Just test this for yourself and if you still think ratings matter in OL/DL then great.. There is no man more blind than one who will not see..
I agree. Ratings really make no difference in this game of ncaa 10.
Old 10-02-2009, 05:24 PM   #267
Ready to chase #12

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhite1347

But thats what I'm getting at. During my time with the game, I have noticed a difference in OL play from one team to the next. I have noticed a difference between my linemen alone.

I miss the old OS

There are two things you can't get back in this world; time and money. Spend both wisely

Louisville|Cardinals
Old 10-02-2009, 05:41 PM   #268
Banned

sois's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
But thats what I'm getting at. During my time with the game, I have noticed a difference in OL play from one team to the next. I have noticed a difference between my linemen alone.
Things will be different from play to play. These things are built on dice rolls. However, the probabilities don't ever select the "strong defensive lineman blows up weak offensive lineman" animation.

I guess this is what you were looking for when you ask how come X happens sometimes and how comes Y happens sometimes if ratings don't matter. It's never 88 strength vs 60 strength, straight up. There is a dice roll involved.
Old 10-02-2009, 06:09 PM   #269
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sois
Things will be different from play to play. These things are built on dice rolls. However, the probabilities don't ever select the "strong defensive lineman blows up weak offensive lineman" animation.

I guess this is what you were looking for when you ask how come X happens sometimes and how comes Y happens sometimes if ratings don't matter. It's never 88 strength vs 60 strength, straight up. There is a dice roll involved.
But with an 88 strength, won't that give you more of a chance to beat the person with a 60 strength?

It seems like determining whether or not a player wins a one on one situation based on a dice roll it completely flawed. Because I believe that how good a person is at football comes down to 3 important things, athleticism, position skill, and putting yourself in the best position to win. A skillful player will put himself in the right position to win a battle then using his skill and athleticism will help him win that battle.

How many times have we seen a very athletic player not be very good at football. But in Madden it doesn't matter, because if he has those athletic skills like speed, acceleration, agility then he will be good no matter what.

How many times have we seen a not so athletic person but extremely skilled player be a great football player. He leverages his skills to beat more athletic less skilled players. I think this is what Madden is lacking. Not some random roll of the dice, that just seems silly to me.
Old 10-02-2009, 06:14 PM   #270
Banned

sois's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerwr38
But with an 88 strength, won't that give you more of a chance to beat the person with a 60 strength?

It seems like determining whether or not a player wins a one on one situation based on a dice roll it completely flawed. Because I believe that how good a person is at football comes down to 3 important things, athleticism, position skill, and putting yourself in the best position to win. A skillful player will put himself in the right position to win a battle then using his skill and athleticism will help him win that battle.

How many times have we seen a very athletic player not be very good at football. But in Madden it doesn't matter, because if he has those athletic skills like speed, acceleration, agility then he will be good no matter what.

How many times have we seen a not so athletic person but extremely skilled player be a great football player. He leverages his skills to beat more athletic less skilled players. I think this is what Madden is lacking. Not some random roll of the dice, that just seems silly to me.
You're right, but you are forgeting the computer element. In real life, there are no ratings. On some plays Peppers will push harder, have better leverage, eat his Wheaties ... etc better than Andrew Whitworth. On some plays, Whit will smash Peppers.

The computer doesn't know this. Otherwise a better rated player would ALWAYS defeat the weaker. That doesn't translate well to a game.

You have to have the dice roll. You even mentioned the key word: chance.

The outcome shouldn't be a straight up coin flip, but rather a weighted dice roll using the attributes. It just seems that the calculations aren't working at an optimal level for personnel to even matter.
Old 10-02-2009, 06:21 PM   #271
Rookie

OVR: 6
why are we debating this? shouldnt someone who knows explain a simple question to loyal customers?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-02-2009, 06:28 PM   #272
Banned

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyJim76
why are we debating this? shouldnt someone who knows explain a simple question to loyal customers?
This is EA we're talking about -- we should just be lucky they make a game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »