Home
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2009, 02:08 PM   #345
Banned
 
sois's Arena
 
OVR: 24
Join Date: Nov 2007
Blog Entries: 2
Re: Ratings and The Easter Bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by roots3003
I really hope the devs. do take the time to read this post. This is one of the most important aspects of the game.
Seems like a really fixable issue too.
sois is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-05-2009, 03:18 PM   #346
Banned
 
OVR: 4
Join Date: Sep 2009
Re: Ratings and The Easter Bunny

Where there is a will, there is a way. That seems to be the problem with EA.
Unless of course that will is to play Online Franchise It seems there is more than enough info/ideas on this thread alone to get the ratings working right.

Last edited by roots3003; 10-05-2009 at 03:26 PM.
roots3003 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 03:32 PM   #347
Proctor, MN. Go Rails!
 
Vikes1's Arena
 
OVR: 23
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,115
Re: Ratings and The Easter Bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheetbone

I believe EA test the hell out of their games, and are
aware of every single problem but what it comes down to is what they think they can let slip through the cracks.
I've always felt the same.

I kinda feel bad for the game testers. Because imo...their just an easy target. I would imagine [because I don't know] they've done their jobs, and reported nearly every issue we've seen through the years. But of course their job is to report...not fix.

But anyway...yeah, this game is the devs profession. I'm quite sure their aware of all the issues, and then some. But due to priorities and time restraints, certain things are let to pass. And the trouble comes imo...from their priorities, and ours, not matching up very well.
Vikes1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 03:37 PM   #348
Banned
 
OVR: 4
Join Date: Sep 2009
Re: Ratings and The Easter Bunny

Not too stir things up, but when reffering to EA Sports, could we just replace the words time restraints and priorities to greed? Becasue that's what it boils down to..if you knowingly rush out a bugged, glitched product every year, and are aware of the problems, what else could it be besides greed? They want that money every year. They want it soooo bad they won't even take off 1 extra year to fix the game(hell, they could even spin it into them just taking the extra time to make the best football game ever). Even after over 20 years of making this game.
roots3003 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 05:35 PM   #349
*ll St*r
 
roadman's Arena
 
OVR: 34
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Midwest
Posts: 25,527
Re: Ratings and The Easter Bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by roots3003
Not too stir things up, but when reffering to EA Sports, could we just replace the words time restraints and priorities to greed? Becasue that's what it boils down to..if you knowingly rush out a bugged, glitched product every year, and are aware of the problems, what else could it be besides greed? They want that money every year. They want it soooo bad they won't even take off 1 extra year to fix the game(hell, they could even spin it into them just taking the extra time to make the best football game ever). Even after over 20 years of making this game.
Your idea, even though it's a good idea has been brought up several times in the forum. The bottomline, though, is they have a contract with the NFL.
roadman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 04:20 AM   #350
Banned
 
OVR: 4
Join Date: Sep 2009
Re: Ratings and The Easter Bunny

What a great day it will be when that contract expires and we get some competition back.
roots3003 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 07:10 AM   #351
MVP
 
deadlyCane's Arena
 
OVR: 17
Join Date: Aug 2002
Re: Ratings and The Easter Bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by roots3003
Not too stir things up, but when reffering to EA Sports, could we just replace the words time restraints and priorities to greed? ....what else could it be besides greed? They want that money every year. They want it soooo bad they won't even take off 1 extra year to fix the game...
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Your idea, even though it's a good idea has been brought up several times in the forum. The bottomline, though, is they have a contract with the NFL.
Yea, and you have to figure that the EA is paying the NFL to have the rights to the game. This then brings up the next big issue, which is that EA is a public traded company on the NYSE. If you or I were the CEO there is no way we could tell our investors that we are taking a year off selling the company's cash cow. It's not greed, it would be career suicide. The majority of the shareholders don't play video games, so they don't care about the quality of the product. The only thing that matters is the greenback. And investors (shareholders) want to see increasing revenues year over year. They are not satisfied that they made $80 per share this year and $80 per share last year. If they made $80 per share this year they better make $82+ per share next year. The more the better. Why do you think EA is looking for additional ways to make cash such as DLC in these slumping times of video game sales?

Now think about this: you have a public traded company that already have an annual expense of paying the NFL for a license. Whether the money paid to the NFL is in a lump sum or is paid annually is irrelevant. They can only get a return on that investment in annual installments of the game, so for accounting purposes you might as well think the payment as being annual. So if they pay the NFL $2,000,000 in 2009 (just pulling figure out my ***), they better make that $2,000,000 back in 2009 otherwise their balance sheet will show a deficit of $2,000,000. A deficit means shareholders lose money. When this happens, shareholders sell their shares and look for a better investment. A max exodous of shareholders could very mean the end of EA as we know it. Not a definite but a great possibility. No CEO in his right mind would want to bring down a company and, therefore, commit career suicide.

I hope this is clear to everyone who keep saying EA should take a year off and those who keep saying EA is greedy. I'm not an EA apologist but I think I'm a reasonable person with realistic wishes. I would love for them to take a year off but it is just not realistic or would take a lot of balls for EA's CEO. I don't see that happening in the near future, unless of course sales plummet to the point they can justify to the shareholders that taking a year off to improve quality would be in their best interest. I don't see that happening any time soon. This game sells regardless of what's inside the box.

By the way, I still think this is an improvement over previous Maddens. I just think there are still glaring flaws that need to be corrected. Improvement doesn't mean I should still settle for less. And I understand Ian's intention wasn't to make the perfect game in one year. That would be unreasonable. Still, there are things in this game that do not work as advertised. I would like to see them addressed before I invest again in Madden.
__________________
----------
PSN: RuFF_NeXX

MLB: Toronto Blue Jays
NBA: Toronto Raptors
CFL: Toronto Argonauts
NFL: Miami Dolphins
NCAA Football: Miami Hurricanes
NCAA Basketball: Miami Hurricanes
NCAA Baseball: Miami Hurricanes

Last edited by deadlyCane; 10-06-2009 at 07:20 AM.
deadlyCane is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-06-2009, 08:46 AM   #352
*ll St*r
 
roadman's Arena
 
OVR: 34
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Midwest
Posts: 25,527
Re: Ratings and The Easter Bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadlyCane
Yea, and you have to figure that the EA is paying the NFL to have the rights to the game. This then brings up the next big issue, which is that EA is a public traded company on the NYSE. If you or I were the CEO there is no way we could tell our investors that we are taking a year off selling the company's cash cow. It's not greed, it would be career suicide. The majority of the shareholders don't play video games, so they don't care about the quality of the product. The only thing that matters is the greenback. And investors (shareholders) want to see increasing revenues year over year. They are not satisfied that they made $80 per share this year and $80 per share last year. If they made $80 per share this year they better make $82+ per share next year. The more the better. Why do you think EA is looking for additional ways to make cash such as DLC in these slumping times of video game sales?

Now think about this: you have a public traded company that already have an annual expense of paying the NFL for a license. Whether the money paid to the NFL is in a lump sum or is paid annually is irrelevant. They can only get a return on that investment in annual installments of the game, so for accounting purposes you might as well think the payment as being annual. So if they pay the NFL $2,000,000 in 2009 (just pulling figure out my ***), they better make that $2,000,000 back in 2009 otherwise their balance sheet will show a deficit of $2,000,000. A deficit means shareholders lose money. When this happens, shareholders sell their shares and look for a better investment. A max exodous of shareholders could very mean the end of EA as we know it. Not a definite but a great possibility. No CEO in his right mind would want to bring down a company and, therefore, commit career suicide.

I hope this is clear to everyone who keep saying EA should take a year off and those who keep saying EA is greedy. I'm not an EA apologist but I think I'm a reasonable person with realistic wishes. I would love for them to take a year off but it is just not realistic or would take a lot of balls for EA's CEO. I don't see that happening in the near future, unless of course sales plummet to the point they can justify to the shareholders that taking a year off to improve quality would be in their best interest. I don't see that happening any time soon. This game sells regardless of what's inside the box.

By the way, I still think this is an improvement over previous Maddens. I just think there are still glaring flaws that need to be corrected. Improvement doesn't mean I should still settle for less. And I understand Ian's intention wasn't to make the perfect game in one year. That would be unreasonable. Still, there are things in this game that do not work as advertised. I would like to see them addressed before I invest again in Madden.
Very well put.
roadman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:38 PM.

Top -