Home
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2009, 12:58 AM   #441
Rookie
 
OVR: 2
Join Date: Jul 2009
Re: Ratings and The Easter Bunny

Ratings may not be perfect, but I have seen them make a difference. I am playing with Detroit against the Redskins. I have seen the Redskin's RG Mike Williams try to pass block and almost look like he stumbled over his own feet as Sammie Lee Hill blasted past him and almost got a sack. Mind you, Williams has a PB footwork rating of 57. Now, on the next play Williams pulled to block for Portis and opened a nice hole on the left side and then ran over Phillip Buchanon who was coming up to make the tackle. Williams' RB strength is in the mid 90's. I know that this is just two plays, but I'm telling ya that I have seen the ratings come into play quite often. Just my opinion though.
TheRealGooch is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-21-2009, 02:55 AM   #442
Banned
 
arichzona's Arena
 
OVR: 12
Join Date: Nov 2003
Re: Ratings and The Easter Bunny

I know what you are talking about and I was the same way - I wanted to see the success and to believe a difference in ratings and physics. Then, on a whim I tried what the OP spoke of and I realized that blocking ability and size and strength simply do not come into play (in regards to blocking at least). Suddenly, knowing I could have signed ANY free agent to play OL (even a kicker) instead of the top RT didnt feel satisfying at all and the perceived, and fun challenge of building a successful franchise was gone. Just like the Easter bunny - you can imagine he is real but deep down you know the truth and it isnt the same.
arichzona is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 08:42 AM   #443
Pro
 
OVR: 7
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Michigan
Re: Ratings and The Easter Bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by arichzona
I know what you are talking about and I was the same way - I wanted to see the success and to believe a difference in ratings and physics. Then, on a whim I tried what the OP spoke of and I realized that blocking ability and size and strength simply do not come into play (in regards to blocking at least). Suddenly, knowing I could have signed ANY free agent to play OL (even a kicker) instead of the top RT didnt feel satisfying at all and the perceived, and fun challenge of building a successful franchise was gone. Just like the Easter bunny - you can imagine he is real but deep down you know the truth and it isnt the same.
Exactly.
michigan21 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:34 AM   #444
Rookie
 
OVR: 10
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Cape Cod, Mass
Re: Ratings and The Easter Bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmacho
It proves that ratings don't mean anything ; it proves that it's a waste of time scouting players in franchise or paying highly rated free agents a lot of money, because ratings don't mean anything. It proves that there's no point to franchise mode, which the devs put very little effort into franchise mode anyway.

I didn't buy the game to find what was wrong with it. I didn't notice any difference when going from team to team with the exception of the QB. When I played against the Patriots, I didn't fear Moss ; when I played with the Cardinals I didn't fear Fitz or Boldin. When playing against Vikings, the difference between Peterson and Taylor were minimal if not non-existent ; Jared Allen was like any other DE in the game and for some reason, no matter who the LDE was, they'd get more sacks that the RDE which is the teams best pass rusher. I played a franchise with the Eagles were by week 5 Juqua Parker(LDE) had 10 sacks, Cole(RDE) at the time had 3 and the CPU still didn't slide protection over to Parker.

That's why I tried to see if all the people that claimed the ratings were meaningless were telling the truth. As it turns out, they were.

This statement is just wrong.. WR I may not see a big differnce in say from Moss to Kevin Curtis, but there is a differnce peroid.
Now as far as the RBs go there is a HUGE differnce when playing against MBIII or AP, compared to playing a M.Lynch or Thomas Jones.. I think you need to check your sliders..
__________________
"Thank you EA for a Great Football Game"
"Eli you are one tough SOB"
G-Men_in_Mass is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:39 AM   #445
Rookie
 
OVR: 10
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Cape Cod, Mass
Re: Ratings and The Easter Bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by keji
i'm going to become forum warrior here and dissect this piece by piece.



ok, please look at these two videos that i found on the OS highlight thread.

Video #1 http://www.easports.com/media/play/h...t-reel/9527567
&
Video #2 http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/8718480

Now these are just from two separate games posted by two separate posters.

Vid #1

Play 1 - The panthers don't even attempt to tackle the DB, DB can automatically stiff arm the receiver.

Play 2 - Take the Madden colored glasses off and just look at it and tell me you think that nothing is wrong with it.

Play 3 - Pursuit angles, clipping issues (looks like the ball went thorugh the DB)

Play 4 - clipping issues, just issues all around.

Play 5 - Not too bad, still bad pursuit angles.

Vid #2

Pursuit angles and suction blocking.

moving on, .



ok..let's do franchise mode, since not many ratings matter.

Let's say that you're a run first team and there's two receivers, Receiver #1 is a UDF which you can get for cheap, he has better speed ratings then your slot receiver but less blocking, making your slot receiver better for your system, but since blocking ratings don't matter, you'd go for the faster, cheaper receiver for the slot for mismatches.

that's a game breaker for managing a franchise.



god forbid people critique this less than par game and demand more from the only company that can make these games.

how dare they demand more from a game that is entering its 26th year.


I know all about theses myths you speak of young warrior, but It doesn't change the fact that Madden is just plain Fun to play.
__________________
"Thank you EA for a Great Football Game"
"Eli you are one tough SOB"
G-Men_in_Mass is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-21-2009, 09:46 AM   #446
Rookie
 
OVR: 10
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Cape Cod, Mass
Re: Ratings and The Easter Bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadlyCane
LOL at the people who get upset that others actually want a better game. They seem offended that people would actually ask for a game where ratings mattered. It's like they are taking it as a personal insult, almost as if they programmed every aspect of the game themself. It's funny stuff. What's even funnier is that they troll the thread so that they can call other people who are posting on topic trolls. Real classic. Don't you guys actually want improvements in the game?

Methinks these people are also short sighted.

Of course I want the game to be better, but when you scream RATINGS DONT MATTER and you bass this on the fact ypu put Mike Vick or Punter at Center and then scream about him blocking Albert Haynesworth( which I agree shouldn't happen) I bass my thought that RATINGS Do MATTER when I need to cut 85 ovl OLB( for cap reasons) and start my Rookie 69 OVL who gets ran over almost all the time, but he did pick off Romo last night late in the 4th quarter to secure a win, after MBIII ran all over me funny how that happen since the game before Portis who has declined down to 80 ovr couldn't run against me.. Guess ratings dont matter.. oh wait lets think about that MBIII 87 ovrl runs for 22 carries for 134 yards and old Portis 17 carries for 39 yards, your right ratings dont matter..
__________________
"Thank you EA for a Great Football Game"
"Eli you are one tough SOB"
G-Men_in_Mass is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:03 AM   #447
MVP
 
OVR: 8
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Middle of Nowhere
Re: Ratings and The Easter Bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealGooch
Ratings may not be perfect, but I have seen them make a difference. I am playing with Detroit against the Redskins. I have seen the Redskin's RG Mike Williams try to pass block and almost look like he stumbled over his own feet as Sammie Lee Hill blasted past him and almost got a sack. Mind you, Williams has a PB footwork rating of 57. Now, on the next play Williams pulled to block for Portis and opened a nice hole on the left side and then ran over Phillip Buchanon who was coming up to make the tackle. Williams' RB strength is in the mid 90's. I know that this is just two plays, but I'm telling ya that I have seen the ratings come into play quite often. Just my opinion though.
I agree, too. Playing and offline franchise with the Bears and an online one with the Texans, I see big differences in differently rated players. Speedy receivers like Devin Hester are overly effective, but Hester still drops a fair amount of balls in my offline franchise. Andre Johnson on the other hand catches almost everything -- I think he's had two drops in 14 games.

The Texans line is also rated lower than the Bears, and I've found it harder to run between the tackles with Houston than with the Bears, but I have more success running on the outside with Slaton than Forte. Forte is also better at trucking while Slaton is more effective with the juke.

One the d-line in both franchises, my best DLs definitely play better than the others. Tommie Harris has 9 sacks in 10 games for me, while Mario Williams leads the Texans with 7 despite playing RE.

There's no question that putting in super-low rated players should be disastrous, but I agree with the theory that there may be a performance floor for players. I certainly see some differences between players in the 60s and those 85+ -- the 60s players may be serviceable and even do well, but the higher-rated players tend to be more consistent.
Brando70 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:12 AM   #448
Banned
 
mvandor's Arena
 
OVR: 7
Join Date: Jul 2003
Re: Ratings and The Easter Bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Men_in_Mass
This statement is just wrong.. WR I may not see a big differnce in say from Moss to Kevin Curtis, but there is a differnce peroid.
Now as far as the RBs go there is a HUGE differnce when playing against MBIII or AP, compared to playing a M.Lynch or Thomas Jones.. I think you need to check your sliders..

That's the prob, the ratings are meaningless for the less visible trench positions, but yes they matter for some other skill positions. But I agree, franchise management is a joke if you can win a SB with the 5 lowest rated OL starters in the game.
mvandor is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:23 PM.

Top -