Home

Ratings and The Easter Bunny

This is a discussion on Ratings and The Easter Bunny within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-28-2009, 03:46 AM   #49
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: Ratings and The Easter Bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by guaps
As I've stated before in another post, changing DT Haynesworth into a 99 speed, 99 acceleration WR will make him a credible deep threat as he outruns almost everybody, even though he's close to twice the weight of most WRs/DBs in the game.
That's because ratings "compensate" for physics when it comes to physical ratings.

Is STR ratings mattered, the punter playing OL thing wouldn't happen. The "physics" would be 20 STR vs 90 STR D-Lineman which just would be an impossible battle, not to mention making the RBS and such making a bigger difference.

I think the problem is a ratings one (as in, they aren't important enough), not a physics one, given how the game works.

What would make sense, then (at least imo), would be ratings caps based on physical attributes. For example, a 400 lb lineman couldn't go above 50 SPD, either in progression or in the editor. A skinny as a toothpick WR couldn't get above 30 STR.

You could put position on it as well - a CB couldn't get more than 80 RTE (and that would be rare - only for A POT guys, etc)

POT could be the range of the Max a player could get via progression:

A = 80 to 100%
B = 60 to 80%
C = 40 to 60%
D = 20 to 40%
F = 1 to 20%

Of course, they'd have to probably revamp progression.

As far as animations, I don't mind that the game is animation oriented. What I have a problem with is that ratings don't determine the chance of success well enough and that there's no consideration of ratings maximums given physical traits.

Last edited by KBLover; 09-28-2009 at 03:51 AM.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:52 AM   #50
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echopax
Wait, wait, wait, wait, w-wait a second here.

Spoiler

Correct. I'll give you a moment to compose yourself
Old 09-28-2009, 04:41 AM   #51
Observer

guaps's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
That's because ratings "compensate" for physics when it comes to physical ratings.
My point exactly. There is no physics engine in Madden

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
Is STR ratings mattered, the punter playing OL thing wouldn't happen. The "physics" would be 20 STR vs 90 STR D-Lineman which just would be an impossible battle, not to mention making the RBS and such making a bigger difference.
If there was a physics engine in Madden a 170 lbs punter couldn't push off a 350 lbs DT even if he had 99 STR and superior blocking skills, because the 350 lbs DT would simply weigh too much. Which would also have an affect on drafting in Madden's Franchise Mode, as a 6'0" 280-some O-Lineman would be unattractive, despite a high potential.

Furthermore you could incorporate that a 350 lbs DT with 99 ACC shouldn't be able to accelerate as fast as a 175 lbs. WR with 99 ACC. And that the acceleration/movement of the heavy guy should have a higher impact on fatigue. Twice the body mass needs twice the force to obtain the same acceleration (Newton's Second Law of Motion), so they should tire faster.

But since there are no physics in Madden, your idea of making the actual ratings work in the first place and even impose rating caps sound like a brilliant idea

Last edited by guaps; 09-28-2009 at 06:25 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-28-2009, 05:17 AM   #52
Pro

Jump's Arena

OVR: 12

Considering that one of the focuses of this years game was the line play, and the ratings for lineman mean absolutely nothing, I don't have much hope for the future.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:17 AM   #53
Rookie

OVR: 4

Maybe we can get just a bit of insight into what factors are used to determine blocking outcomes.. Then we can at least know it isnt completely random..
Old 09-28-2009, 10:34 AM   #54
Banned

sois's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhite1347
Maybe we can get just a bit of insight into what factors are used to determine blocking outcomes.. Then we can at least know it isnt completely random..
All of the threads about major issues with Madden ... Ian kinda stays away from them.

I'll send you an autographed box if Ian shows up and gives us any legit answers as to why a punter can pancake any defensive end on any level.
Old 09-28-2009, 01:34 PM   #55
Banned

OVR: 25

Madden's ratingsn are really nothing more than a waste of space if you ask me.

SPEED, THROW ACCURACY and Acceleration are the only ones which matter or work, however you look at it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-28-2009, 02:13 PM   #56
Rookie

warriorbear's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by guaps
My point exactly. There is no physics engine in Madden

If there was a physics engine in Madden a 170 lbs punter couldn't push off a 350 lbs DT even if he had 99 STR and superior blocking skills, because the 350 lbs DT would simply weigh too much. Which would also have an affect on drafting in Madden's Franchise Mode, as a 6'0" 280-some O-Lineman would be unattractive, despite a high potential.

Furthermore you could incorporate that a 350 lbs DT with 99 ACC shouldn't be able to accelerate as fast as a 175 lbs. WR with 99 ACC. And that the acceleration/movement of the heavy guy should have a higher impact on fatigue. Twice the body mass needs twice the force to obtain the same acceleration (Newton's Second Law of Motion), so they should tire faster.

But since there are no physics in Madden, your idea of making the actual ratings work in the first place and even impose rating caps sound like a brilliant idea
how would you handle the outliers in this situation, as there have been players who's height and weight would tell you that there is no way they should run sub 4.6 40's and sustain that level of power and speed over the course of a game or hit with the ferocity that some very small corners do for example?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »