Home

Linemen Ratings Explained

This is a discussion on Linemen Ratings Explained within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-27-2009, 09:38 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 4
Linemen Ratings Explained

Could anyone shed a bit of light how the different ratings pertaining to an offensive lineman's overall rating effect their performance? As far as I can tell the following skills play the biggest impact in a lineman's in game performance: SPD, STR, AGI, ACC, AWR, PBK, RBK, IBL, RBS, RBF, PBS, PBF.

Now I am mainly rushing offense, but my entire offensive has two players vying for the starting position. Since I primarily run and many of their overalls are nearly the same I figured I should look at particular stats to decide which guys should start and which I should cut, to give the (Franchise) league some more talent.

I was hoping yall could help me figure out what stats I should be looking at for each position; which stats should I weigh the most for a team that primarily rushes. Also, how big of a role does awareness play in an offensive lineman's performance.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-27-2009, 09:52 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: Linemen Ratings Explained

Quote:
Originally Posted by rws591
Could anyone shed a bit of light how the different ratings pertaining to an offensive lineman's overall rating effect their performance? As far as I can tell the following skills play the biggest impact in a lineman's in game performance: SPD, STR, AGI, ACC, AWR, PBK, RBK, IBL, RBS, RBF, PBS, PBF.
My view:

SPD - useful for getting downfield, especially for pulling plays or sweeps/tosses/screens

STR - not sure - maybe impacts blocking along with the impact blocking rating?

AGI - making changes in direction without losing much speed.

ACC - how fast they get back up to top speed when making a change in direction. Too low and it seems the OL makes a "cut" and gets beat. Also helps them get to top speed off the snap.

AWR - ability to read the play as it unfolds. Probably impact picking up blitzers and picking the right guys to attack on run blocking.

PBK - ability to engage a defender in blocking animation on pass plays

RBK - like PBK but for run plays

IBL - Ability to just destroy the defender on first contact (i.e. pancake blocks, or pushing them off the line immediately)

RBS - Ability to sustain the run block once the run block animation has been engaged.

RBF - Ability to handle the defender's attempts to shed the block? May also impact holding penalties?

PBS/PBF - same as RBS/RBF except for pass plays.

Again, just my guesses on the ratings.

What I look for on the O-Line ratings-wise:

C - AWR, RBL/RBS, ACC, STR
G - AWR, RBL/RBS, PBL/PBS, IBL
T - AWR, SPD, PBL/PBS/PBF, RBS

So basically the interior line, I look for run blocking since I like to run up the middle most of the time with different zone and iso blocking. I also want them to at least hold up against DT and MLBs as well as read the 3-4 blitzes (mostly 3-4 because that formation has the most variety on how to disguise the LBs and their angles. I want the interior guys to sniff it out.)

For the Ts, I worry about those DEs and blitzing OLBs so I want them to have good AWR to read the blitz and be able to engage their blocks against them. Also would like good RBS to be able to hold the edge/seal the back side on outside and off-tackle runs.

Last edited by KBLover; 09-27-2009 at 09:59 PM.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:26 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 26

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...ttributes.html

The official explanations are in this thread
Old 09-27-2009, 10:28 PM   #4
Banned

arichzona's Arena

OVR: 12

From what others have tested it appears that you can place any guy, any size in the line and it will not make a major difference as lineman ratings are meaningless except for speed.
Old 09-27-2009, 11:25 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 9

you have the Christmas tree (The Player) and the Decorations (the attributes) - all placebo, do not mean a thing. a guy with all 99s in that category does the same as a dude with all 12s
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-27-2009, 11:30 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 4

Come on man, I know that isn't true. I have played with ****ty linemen and I have played with good linemen. One set makes sure my running back can get out of the back field, while the other invites the defensive line in to make sure my back doesn't have a chance.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »