Home

Phillip Rivers arm strength??

This is a discussion on Phillip Rivers arm strength?? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-28-2009, 04:19 PM   #17
MVP

OVR: 26
Re: Phillip Rivers arm strength??

Watch film of Rivers and you will notice that he doesnt throw the ball further then 50 yards in most of his throws. Even on overthrown balls he still rarely breaks the 50 yard mark when he throws the ball. I wont deny that he may be able to throw over 50 yards in ideal conditions but if you had Manning throw in ideal conditions I am sure he could throw 70+.

Just because you can throw the deep ball well does not mean you have a strong arm. It means you can throw the ball accurately well. People assumptions that you cant do one without the other is why we have Brady with a stronger arm then Manning.

SIDE NOTE
This does not take into account that Rivers throws side arm and most side arm QBs have weaker arms.

Last edited by Glorious Arc; 09-28-2009 at 04:25 PM.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:02 PM   #18
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorious Arc
Watch film of Rivers and you will notice that he doesnt throw the ball further then 50 yards in most of his throws. Even on overthrown balls he still rarely breaks the 50 yard mark when he throws the ball. I wont deny that he may be able to throw over 50 yards in ideal conditions but if you had Manning throw in ideal conditions I am sure he could throw 70+.

Just because you can throw the deep ball well does not mean you have a strong arm. It means you can throw the ball accurately well. People assumptions that you cant do one without the other is why we have Brady with a stronger arm then Manning.

SIDE NOTE
This does not take into account that Rivers throws side arm and most side arm QBs have weaker arms.
Totally agree. People need to stop confusing arm strength with accuracy deep down the field. Joe Montana had average arm strength at best but many consider him the greatest QB of all time and he could throw any route.

The same concept really goes for speed and the ability to catch the deep ball as a WR. Oronde Gadsden was slow for Miami but he was a deep threat with his size and jumping ability.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:04 PM   #19
Rookie

permanent1's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
Totally agree. People need to stop confusing arm strength with accuracy deep down the field. Joe Montana had average arm strength at best but many consider him the greatest QB of all time and he could throw any route.

The same concept really goes for speed and the ability to catch the deep ball as a WR. Oronde Gadsden was slow for Miami but he was a deep threat with his size and jumping ability.
Yep i remember jason garrett had a really good deep ball yet his arm was not very strong.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:15 PM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 1

yes its true rivers does not have the strongest arm in the world but 81 is horrible thats 4 someone like chad pennington .brees has about 90 arm strength and i know his arm isnt that much stronger than rivers
Old 09-28-2009, 05:36 PM   #21
MVP

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by hale89
yes its true rivers does not have the strongest arm in the world but 81 is horrible thats 4 someone like chad pennington .brees has about 90 arm strength and i know his arm isnt that much stronger than rivers
This gets me into my next argument that the QB arm strength when compared to other players is completely off.

Lets look at Russel. He has a one in a billion arm. Yet he only has 98 TP and he has how many players close to him? IRL he can throw the ball 80 yards standing up, 60 yards on one knee, and 40 yards on his butt. No one in the league is close to Russel's arm yet you wouldnt think it looking at the ratings.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-28-2009, 06:05 PM   #22
MVP

speedkills's Arena

OVR: 8

^ A million dollar arm and a 10 cent head.

Remember, EA adjusted the ratings this year so there's more of a variance. Pennington's arm strength is rated at 70. 70-79 are weak to average arms. 80-90 above average to strong arms. 90+ cannons.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:11 PM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 1

so can expllain y pat willis is faster than all my charger wideouts and coners i know this has nothind to do wit throw power but can u explain that
Old 09-28-2009, 06:23 PM   #24
MVP

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by hale89
so can expllain y pat willis is faster than all my charger wideouts and coners i know this has nothind to do wit throw power but can u explain that
It has to do with willis being overhyped due to basically irrelevant and poorly tracked statistics that really show nothing. I am not saying he is not a great linebacker but he isn't at the level everyone thinks of him as. It seems as though everyone wants to put him in that "greatest to ever play the position" level and really he isn't that good yet.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »