Home

Phillip Rivers arm strength??

This is a discussion on Phillip Rivers arm strength?? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-29-2009, 12:12 AM   #33
Rookie

OVR: 22
Re: Phillip Rivers arm strength??

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpotatohead5
Just curious instead of complaining or suggesting a change about a number, have you had issues in game with Rivers not being able to throw the ball far enough?

I have yet to see enough of a difference or any issue with any throw power in the game, it seems to me and i'm not trying to start this battle here as well that just Speed, Accel, and Throwing Accuracy is all that really matters, all quarter backs seem to have the same arm strength when playing to me.
My point exactly. I think many people just want peoples's stats to be increased just for the sake of it. I really think EA actually captured players really well this year.

And I play with Rivers and the bolts ALL THE TIME! and to me I can throw it deep as well as he can in real life. I don't understand. Do people find that when they play with Rivers they can't throw the ball deep? I like his Throw Power and DAC. They look underrated, but I think they may be the most misleading ratings in Madden. I try to play as similarly to the teams in IRL when I play madden and so I throw it deep quite a bit during each game... and man am I satisfied with Rivers and Jackson... well I make due with Jackson but I'm fine with Rivers.

I really think Jackson's overall should be between an 88-90 but that may just be me. And his speed should be around an 85 (i can't remember what it is right now) He's really not that fast. He just has great moves and great size and strength to get open and passed defenders and get position. And then he hands that size and strength not only in his body, but his hands as well to bring the ball down. And I think Madden actually captures this very well. Because for whatever reason (I think his release and beat press ratings are in the 90s) he can get behind DBs and I can just lob it and place it perfectly for him to get it! And this is with my QB Acc and WR Catch sliders at 10 and 30-35 respectively (and the cpu DB reaction time at around 75) and the speed threshold at 60.

They're ratings really seem fine I just wish Jackson's overall would be higher and his speed a nudge higher just for aesthetic or superficial satisfaction but they actually seem fine where they are.

PSN: Gorilla-bob-Mac
Old 09-29-2009, 08:16 AM   #34
Rookie

OVR: 5

Madden explained the ratings for speed when they were called out about tj houshmandzadeh's speed, TJ was on espn talking to some guys from EA and they were saying they based it off a combination of 40 times and yards per catch. They were saying how TJ averaged under 10 yards a catch and had very few catches over 20+. He was saying it was the system, but look at him this year lol.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:22 PM   #35
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

OVR: 18

Does anyone know the thought process on throwing power. I'm watching the Titans/Colts game right now and it got me to thinking. Kerry Collins had 90 thp when the game came out. The roster update bumped him up to 91 thp, then after the losing streak it went down to 88thp....

Stop me if I'm wrong but that's totally ridiculous. A physcial skill like that doesn't diminish in a few weeks. Awareness, carrying, maybe a few other, but arm strength? I don't get it. Say what you will about Collins, but he can fire the ball.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-11-2009, 11:34 PM   #36
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Palmer
Does anyone know the thought process on throwing power. I'm watching the Titans/Colts game right now and it got me to thinking. Kerry Collins had 90 thp when the game came out. The roster update bumped him up to 91 thp, then after the losing streak it went down to 88thp....

Stop me if I'm wrong but that's totally ridiculous. A physcial skill like that doesn't diminish in a few weeks. Awareness, carrying, maybe a few other, but arm strength? I don't get it. Say what you will about Collins, but he can fire the ball.
well maybe they overestimated his thp in the first place or this season he hasn't show he can bomb it out there, 88 isn't really that low considering jason campbell, who possesses a fairly strong arm, has the same. i take it as they scouted his physical ability wrongly.
Old 10-12-2009, 12:31 AM   #37
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBlievN5
i take it as they scouted his physical ability wrongly.
That actually would make sense, except they bumped him up to 91 thp just after the season started and just decided to lower him after the losing streak. It seems the physical abilities or lackthereof are based on team success. Kinda like how they had Brady rated at 92 thp for as long as I can remember then all of a sudden decide to give him the strongest arm in the league 99thp after he has a 50 touchdown season.
Old 10-12-2009, 12:39 AM   #38
Rookie

OVR: 6

ahhh. well brady did throw a massive amount of great deep balls. i do agree that 97-99 is entirely too high for him. i understand what you're saying and agree, mayhaps they should've lowered his accuracy or something. idk, but he isn't an effective qb right now and something had to go.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »