Home

Should I download Patch #1 or not?

This is a discussion on Should I download Patch #1 or not? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-29-2009, 06:45 PM   #1
MVP

DarthRambo's Arena

OVR: 20
Should I download Patch #1 or not?

After reading most of the patch #1 Impression thread now...
Alot of mixed results, but from what I can tell, it has some major flaws inside the patch, making the game worse in some areas.
Only major things I see that I would like is the no holding on FGs, and toe dragging catches. Oh ya, pursuit angles as well, which I keep reading isn't really fixed anyway.

Should I DL the patch or not?? I finished first season in my Redskins chise. Finished 10-6, having to win @ SD in my final game to make the playoffs(won by going for 2pts and getting it in final seconds 36-35 Final score!)... Beat the Bears in the wildcard fairly easily, and need to play Giants in divisional, who I lost to twice in the reg season.

My point is... After playing the entire season, tweaking my sliders and coming up with my own set of "house rules" which include:
1.) Never throw RB screen passes
2.) If I intercept a pass, Don't use the turbo button when running so I rarely run them back for TDs.
3.) Never use hot routes. PERIOD.
4.) Don't continue to hold up on Right analog after contacted by two or more tacklers, causing me to break free unrealistically sometimes.

I think there is something else but can't remember... those are the main ones tho. I have great results, and really no complaints... I think I'll just keep going the way I am now, especially since I finally have a good working slider set for myself. My question is tho, can I DL a roster update without getting the patch??? If not, then oh well, I'll do without the roster update, but it would be nice to be able to get it without the patch.

Last edited by DarthRambo; 09-29-2009 at 11:25 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-29-2009, 06:55 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 12
Re: Should I download Patch #1 or not?

i downloaded it and i like it i havent noticed any of the problems that people are talking about, the pursuit angles are suppose to be fixed i think but i see no difference to me. but i think its a download worthy of getting, the catch logic has improved alot so that alone would make me download it but its up to you.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:04 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 25

personally, if what you have now is working for you and your house rules help your game...Then i would say no. I am waiting on patch #2 so my own decision was to just shelve it til then.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:04 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 3

Yea I am about the same. I have my sliders just figured out now so I am not going to touch the patch. I won't download the patch until they fix the franchise sim stats.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:12 PM   #5
MVP

DarthRambo's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiggidy
Yea I am about the same. I have my sliders just figured out now so I am not going to touch the patch. I won't download the patch until they fix the franchise sim stats.

Ya, the chise sim stats are killing me! It just does not track tackles correctly at all! 87 tackles on the year for London Fletcher?!? Ya right!

I want to get it, but in ways I don't. Main thing is that I just dont wanna have to redo sliders again, and try to fix other problems that occur because of the patch. Thanks guys! Will prolly just wait until patch #2..

PS Can I get the roster updates without getting the patch??
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-29-2009, 09:19 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 3

I dont think you can. Im pretty sure the first thing its going to do is prompt you to download the patch. I think Im gonna go back to the PS2 version until they fix these stats. Big Ben in my league threw for 49 tds in 2009. Then threw for 42 before week 17 in 2010, only to bomb the Jaguars with 8td passes to tie Tom Brady's record.

Ok QBs are always having pre Randy Moss Brady seasons, where they throw around 25-30tds and 10ints... It really bothers me.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:26 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 14

Two things I would say patch #1 accomplished for the better:

1. eliminated holding penalty glitch on FG's

2. improved run blocking for a more realistic run game

Three things patch #1 accomplished for the worse:

1. created some sort of frame-rate glitch, so when RB's are in a sprint they have a weird hesitation in their step, essentially slowing them down? VERY annoying!

2. defensive pursuit angles have actually been made worse as far as I can tell.

3. weird glitch where pop-up banners will come up during your games, but discuss Bengal's history rather than the team that is playing???
Old 09-29-2009, 11:22 PM   #8
MVP

DarthRambo's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeler99
Two things I would say patch #1 accomplished for the better:

1. eliminated holding penalty glitch on FG's

2. improved run blocking for a more realistic run game

Three things patch #1 accomplished for the worse:

1. created some sort of frame-rate glitch, so when RB's are in a sprint they have a weird hesitation in their step, essentially slowing them down? VERY annoying!

2. defensive pursuit angles have actually been made worse as far as I can tell.

3. weird glitch where pop-up banners will come up during your games, but discuss Bengal's history rather than the team that is playing???

Well going by this, I will def not worry about downloading it. The pros of it I can handle not having, as I just turned holding slider down, and it seems to help alot. Maybe it's just my luck tho cuz I don't see it happening alot anyway. When it happens against the CPU I always decline the penalty just to make it realistic. Next time I get one on me, I'll try pausing it and controller select cpu team and see if I can decline it lol... Doubt it will work, but worth a shot!

As far as running goes, I honestly have a good consistent running game. One rule I came up with for myself, is once I get "ganged up" on by tacklers, not to hold up on the right stick, cuz it seems to allow me to break free unrealistically alot of times and run for a TD. So as soon as I am contacted by two or more tacklers I let go of the right stick.

CPU is up and down for their run game. I set sliders as worse as I could do. Jacobs for NYG tears me up every game! And am pretty happy with results I get. Could be better, but could be worse too, so I'll take what I got.

The cons you're speaking of I could not handle, except the banner thing, I can deal with that, it'd just be annoying. But the fram-rate thing with the RB I couldn't handle cuz it wasn't a problem before. And if it really is worse pursuit angles, that would be a game killer for me. I really just wish I could get the roster update without the patch.. Needs to be an option

Maybe I can save my roster file on a USB, then delete game data on my ps3... restart game again, and copy roster file onto ps3 for game. Would that work? Or does the roster update only work if the itself is updated as well?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »