Home

Yahoo speaks the truth about EA

This is a discussion on Yahoo speaks the truth about EA within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-30-2009, 03:14 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 4
Yahoo speaks the truth about EA

http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/p...th-it-/1358619

Quote:
Microtransactions

Remember when you could just walk into a store, buy a game, and that was the end of it? With the growth of purchasable downloadable updates and game tweaks, modern video games can be expanded well beyond their original capabilities (like, say, with Burnout Paradise's series of outstanding content downloads)...or exploited to nickel-and-dime gamers for features that really should have been in the game to start with.

Several publishers have been tempted by the extra revenues this strategy can offer, but easily the worst (and most recent) offender is EA Sports. Take Madden 10: some of its purchasable downloads give your team boosts like immediate injury recovery, temporary stat boosts, and perhaps most egregiously, the $5 "Elite Status" -- which unlocks the game's toughest difficulty level for online ranked play, among other things. Nice, but didn't we already pay for this game once?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-30-2009, 03:16 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 12
Re: Yahoo speaks the truth about EA

yahoo must be watching the forum cause we been sayin this for months.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:32 AM   #3
My Head Hurts

jnofx's Arena

OVR: 11

Everyone on this board has been on top of this, I'm glad there are articles exposing this practice for what it is.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:32 AM   #4
Pro

OVR: 11

do people actually buy that stuff??? if anyone has bad enough taste to want to cheat by allowing instant injury recovery or something ridiculous like that, let them pay for it. dont ruin the game i bought by putting that crap in there, even if it would be something you could turn off. im not a big fan of EA, but i dont blame them for trying to make money in this case. if people really want them to stop pulling that, then stop buying the stuff. its useless anyway, in my opinion.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:40 AM   #5
MVP

rckabillyRaider's Arena

OVR: 36

Its a business and EA knows there are people that buy that little petty stuff. I enjoy Madden 10 but sure as heck aint gonna buy none of those "boosts". Its silly, IMO
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-30-2009, 04:42 AM   #6
Banned

OVR: 4

I know, and I heard all the excuses. They could afford it is the biggest. Sure why not, but in the end, more people are not buying into this gimmick and it's going to disappear like a fart in the wind soon. People are silly for buying into these really. "Make the online game harder"? I mean really? "One year retirement prevention" lol
Old 09-30-2009, 05:03 AM   #7
Nza
MVP

OVR: 16

Welcome to the free market I guess. If people don't buy something, companies won't sell it.

I wouldn't want 99% of this stuff in the game anyway because I'd never use it. The exception is the AFL pack.
Old 09-30-2009, 05:09 AM   #8
Hall Of Fame

LingeringRegime's Arena

OVR: 47

@ Best Buy Charging $130 for plugging in the PS3. Crazy.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »