Home

3-4 Personnel Importantance

This is a discussion on 3-4 Personnel Importantance within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-14-2010, 05:04 PM   #73
Banned

dfos81's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: 3-4 Personnel Importantance

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chef
Well what slider might I alter that would effect this then? Im using Steeler99's sliders and having a decent time but it would be nice to play a bad QB/OL and actually get pressure without always coming up just short as they throw the ball right as Im about to sack them.
Player Skill

Pass reat +5
Pass rush +5

This will force the cpu qb to hold the ball a lil longer and also let the player a.i. break blks a lil faster.
Old 01-14-2010, 05:44 PM   #74
MVP

OVR: 55

So I checked out the 3-3-5 and found some good purpose for it. If nothing else, it's another way to give an unfamiliar look to your opponent. I like being the fourth rusher at OLB from base defenses. It makes it look like a blitz and people rush throws. I also like the overload blitz in it.... very traditional.

It's a nice changeup, but I wouldn't spend most the game in it.

My goal is to eventually to be able to stay longer in the base 3-4 and just blitz so well that I don't have to leave whenever a 3rd WR takes the field.

One thing that's really helped recently is just more disguise on defense. To hit the A gap and fake a nano can really jar people loose because you know that's where their eyes are. Once you actually come they can be caught with their pants down.

M - I - N - N - E - S - O - T - A
Old 01-14-2010, 06:12 PM   #75

The Chef's Arena

OVR: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfos81
Player Skill

Pass reat +5
Pass rush +5

This will force the cpu qb to hold the ball a lil longer and also let the player a.i. break blks a lil faster.
Well to be accurate you would probably need to know what I have those at already...

Pass Reaction- 24
Pass Rush- 64

Do either of those look way too low? Ive got CPU Pass Blocking at 28 if that helps in your answer.

EDIT- ****, Im so sick and damn tired of the quick snap by the CPU which makes it next to impossible to make any type of adjustments at the line. Whoever thought this was a good idea is a fool, its terrible and limits the users ability to even attempt to use the defensive playmaker controls pre-snap like they are intended to be used.

Ok, so after thats out of the way, I played another game against Carolina with my same sliders and only had 1 sack again, by Justin Smith. It didnt matter how many people I blitzed as Delhomme was somehow able to avoid them all and get rid of the ball just as he was getting hit, every single damn time. Hell, there was one time when he was literally falling to the ground and he slung it incomplete, unbelievable. I dont know how to fix this problem with them unloading it just as I get to them. I could go in and lower their awareness and see if that works but I really dont want to be making any player edits to attempt to fix a problem within the game itself. Im sorry but when youve got Shawne Merriman and Patrick Willis blitzing and all they do is run directly into blockers, Ive got a real problem with that. I try and line them up correctly but then they quick snap and leave me sitting there with my pants down so to speak.

Last edited by The Chef; 01-14-2010 at 07:54 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-14-2010, 08:08 PM   #76
Banned

dfos81's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Well to be accurate you would probably need to know what I have those at already...

Pass Reaction- 24
Pass Rush- 64
Pass reaction 24, thats too low imo. If you want your secondary playing to their ratings, I always will suggest something higher or closer to default. Once you get 25 or lower on the sliders, ratings seem to not matter anymore. 25 on player skill(sub-sliders), is just the same as All-Madden.

Now of course I'm biased towards these, but these are not just made up in few game test. http://www.operationsports.com/forum...pdate-2-a.html.
I know everyones skill is different, but it doesn't take much to get what you want w/ these as a base. Let me know if you try them.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:53 PM   #77
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
EDIT- ****, Im so sick and damn tired of the quick snap by the CPU which makes it next to impossible to make any type of adjustments at the line. Whoever thought this was a good idea is a fool, its terrible and limits the users ability to even attempt to use the defensive playmaker controls pre-snap like they are intended to be used.
Yeah, I have to be quick to change the coverage or the player I want to control.

Then again, I've had the AI take Delay of Game penalties where they could have snapped it easily, but don't for whatever reason.

I do use 25 sec accel clock, but I've seen the AI sit there for 5 sec and take a delay penalty while the next snap is in a second or two - strange.

Quote:
I dont know how to fix this problem with them unloading it just as I get to them. I could go in and lower their awareness and see if that works but I really dont want to be making any player edits to attempt to fix a problem within the game itself. Im sorry but when youve got Shawne Merriman and Patrick Willis blitzing and all they do is run directly into blockers, Ive got a real problem with that. I try and line them up correctly but then they quick snap and leave me sitting there with my pants down so to speak.

That's usually an AWR it seems. The higher the AWR, the more likely they'll start throwing right when they sense they get hit (which makes sense - they want to get the pass off). I don't remember what Delhomme's AWR is, but I know for anyone over about 80-85 AWR - it can be annoying.

As far as the blocking goes, it might be suction pass blocking. I have CPU pass blocking at 10 and I see them get around blocking and when they do get engaged, it's a straight up contact it seems. I.e. they moved in position to pick up the defender, and I see free runners when I bring more guys.

I agree with dfos81 with the pass reaction. I used to play with it that low and hated it. I have it at 40 right now.

I do have my pass rushing at 30 and get about 2 sacks per game on average (which is about the NFL average), though the lower AWR guys and OL can cause me to rack up more. The most I had last season was like 9 on Matt Stafford (7 where CPU). It was insane. Of course stupid Calvin Johnson was equally annoying, but anyway...

If you're playing Normal, I'm a bit surprised you can't get more pressure with 64 pass rushing. I had it at that and it was like OMGWTFLOL pass rushing for both sides.

Slow - I could see it moreso. I would up it a little in that case along with increasing pass reaction time for human. I'm at 80 Pass rushing for slow, but that's probably too high (haven't played Slow in a while), but I think 70 would be good, especially if you lower CPU pass blocking some as well.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:25 PM   #78
MVP

Palo20's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: 3-4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRaider
I converted the Raiders to a 3-4 principally because I had cap problems and good LB are far cheaper than even sucky DT/DE.

Sending different numbers of players does affect sack totals some, but as has been mentioned, because there are no double teams, you don't get as many sacks as you would think.

But you do get favorable results depending on the quarterbacks. If I send 5 against Tom Brady, I pay. If I send 5 against a bad QB, there are a lot of bad throws. And more sacks.

But mixing it up appears to lead to more misreading of coverage from what I can tell. I tend to mix the number of men rushing rather than switch between zone and man. (When you have Nnamdi Asomugha and Quan Henry, press man is the default coverage)

Also, moderate your expectations! The fact is that DT/NT do not get many sacks.

This year there was one DT/NT with 7 sacks, and another with 6, three with 5, and 3 with 4. (all these stats from www.profootballfocus.com)

The 4-3 DE with more than 10 sacks this year had 15, 14, 14, 13 and 12 sacks. 3-4 DE was capped at 9.

Brian Orakpo was the only 4-3 OLB with more than 6 sacks (he had 12). And 3-4 DE with more than 10 sacks had 17 14 and 12. That is 9 players with over 10 sacks in the NFL. So if your team does not have one, then it could just not be your player's year to get the really high total.
That website looks amazing, thanks for the link. I just took a quick glance and they have a participation breakdown for every play for every game of the season. Awesome stuff.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:42 PM   #79

The Chef's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfos81
Pass reaction 24, thats too low imo. If you want your secondary playing to their ratings, I always will suggest something higher or closer to default. Once you get 25 or lower on the sliders, ratings seem to not matter anymore. 25 on player skill(sub-sliders), is just the same as All-Madden.

Now of course I'm biased towards these, but these are not just made up in few game test. http://www.operationsports.com/forum...pdate-2-a.html.
I know everyones skill is different, but it doesn't take much to get what you want w/ these as a base. Let me know if you try them.
I may give those a shot but the most likely scenerio would be to borrow from them to add to what Im currently using. I mean, youve got QB Accuracy at 50 for the human and Im at 10 there, 50 seems way too high considering Im already in the top 10 passing with it at its current setting. Having said that, I may just try 'em all one game and see what happens as Im losing my mind here. Im 7-1 so the record isnt whats bothering me, its the complete lack of sacks from anyone outside of my line. Last game was against Seattle and I had 2 sacks but both were by Wilfork, somehow blitzing Willis and Merriman at a 76 rated RT doesnt produce any sacks and very little pressure, who knew? I mean, I blitzed them from the same side at the same time and this 76 rated RT just stone walled them or Hasselbeck threw nothing but quick passes over and over. So, 8 games played and a total of 11 sacks for my team, dead last in the NFL. Here is my breakdown...

Vince Wilfork (3)
Parys Harelson (2)
Justin Smith (2)
Shawne Merriman (2)
Fabian Washington (1)
Manny Lawson (1)

Thats it, Merriman had both in one game and hasnt dont **** since. Lawson might as well not be on the field and Takeo Spikes is invisible out there. I upped my Pass Reaction and Pass Rush slider 5 clicks and while it seemed to help a little it just led to quicker throws from Hasselbeck as he threw 2 picks and it could have been a lot worse if my guys didnt drop potential picks one after the other. He went 17/29 for 180 so its not as if my defense is unable to stop them, they just arent able to actually sack him either.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:47 PM   #80

The Chef's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
Slow - I could see it moreso. I would up it a little in that case along with increasing pass reaction time for human. I'm at 80 Pass rushing for slow, but that's probably too high (haven't played Slow in a while), but I think 70 would be good, especially if you lower CPU pass blocking some as well.
I am actually playing on slow, is that my problem then? I didnt think it would make a difference but maybe it does. Ive had 2 different people mention lowering CPU Pass Block to 10 so I may try that while leaving everything else the same and see what happens. If that doesnt work then maybe I will raise my pass rush slider some as well. Pass reaction seems like it would only help to raise my int's and not my sacks but Im sure others here have messed around with sliders far more then I have and therefore have a better understanding of what each slider does.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »