Home

What teams are running a 3-4 this year?

This is a discussion on What teams are running a 3-4 this year? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-02-2009, 06:40 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 4
What teams are running a 3-4 this year?

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-02-2009, 07:31 PM   #2
Rookie

Megatron2k7's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: What teams are running a 3-4 this year?

Notable teams that use the 3-4 defense are the Cleveland Browns, San Diego Chargers, Kansas City Chiefs, Dallas Cowboys, New York Jets, Green Bay Packers, Miami Dolphins, Baltimore Ravens, and Pittsburgh Steelers. The San Francisco 49ers use a combination of 3-4 and 4-3 defense. The Arizona Cardinals are also considering a change to the 3-4 defense in the future because their head coach, Ken Whisenhunt, was a coaching assistant for the Steelers. The Cardinals already incorporate the 5-2 defense, an older variation of the 3-4, in some of their defensive schemes. The Miami Dolphins have also incorporated elements of the 3-4 defense into their scheme, under defensive coordinator Paul Pasqualoni, the Dolphins are said to run what is called a 'Hybrid 3-4' which incorporates elements of both the 3-4 and the 4-3 defense depending on the situation and personnel on the field. With the hiring of defensive coordinator Dom Capers, the Green Bay Packers have switched to a hybrid 3-4 defense (2009). This switch will result in the Packers moving Aaron Kampman to outside linebacker. With the acquisition of Mike Nolan by the Denver Broncos as defensive coordinator, the Broncos have also made a switch to the 3-4 defense (2009).

This list has 12 teams using the 3-4 for the 09-10 season, but I believe there is actually 13 teams using at least some 3-4 this year. I can't think of who is missing from this list though.....???.....
Old 10-02-2009, 07:38 PM   #3
Rookie

jagsfan82's Arena

OVR: 7

the jags use the 3-4 on the first two downs and usually the 4-3 on third down
Old 10-02-2009, 07:46 PM   #4
Rookie

Megatron2k7's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagsfan82

Thank you..... It was bothering me that I couldn't think of the last one.

It's been exciting seeing the Packers using the 3-4 this year so far..... definitely a lot better than the previous scheme of vanilla man to man bump coverage all game long, with little of no saftey help for the CB's. This switch has added a few years to the careers of Al Harris and Charles Woodson..... not so much running man on man every play.

The Packers are playing a lot of 2-4-5 nickel defense this year so far when teams come out in 3 wide or any passing situation. They actually have it in the Madden play book for the Packers, and I use it a lot myself with decent success. In most of my games played it's the only nickel formation I use.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:14 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagsfan82
Eeeeeeh, except for the fact we normally have 1 or 2 DEs, who would be classified as OLBs I guess, acting like DEs. And I believe we are also using two DTs. But I haven't really been that close of attention to who is on the field.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-03-2009, 01:46 AM   #6
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

The Saints actually used it sparingly last week but mostly ran 335 Nickel vs the Bills. The Ravens also are a 3-4/4-3 combo.
Old 10-03-2009, 02:28 AM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rws591
Eeeeeeh, except for the fact we normally have 1 or 2 DEs, who would be classified as OLBs I guess, acting like DEs. And I believe we are also using two DTs. But I haven't really been that close of attention to who is on the field.
They moved to 34 due to injuries. Quentin Groves was reclassified as a OLB from DE in the last roster update I believe.
Old 10-03-2009, 02:34 AM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
I can't think of who is missing from this list though
Pats still play some 34, despite playing alot of hybrid 43. When they do run 34 its usually been on 1st down.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »