Home

Pretty sure this is the last Madden I'll be playing for a while...

This is a discussion on Pretty sure this is the last Madden I'll be playing for a while... within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 11:32 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 14
Pretty sure this is the last Madden I'll be playing for a while...

Okay, so I'm pretty much at the point where I'm just done with Madden football. Not only am I tired of playing the same game the past 3 years on next gen, but the developers just don't seem to "get" how to make a football game.

(Where are the dev's anyway...they were here when they were trying to sell the game but now that it's out they are gone..nice)

If you walked up to a PS3 and started playing a next-gen Madden it might be hard to tell if you're playing 08, 09, or 10. It's really sad but true. The game is virtually the same, broken or unbroken, but they really all feel the same.

I always seem to get excited for Madden's release only to be dissapointed. My what lack of competition has done.

They talk about a "short development cycle". Well why not release a fresh game every 2 years and just do roster updates, which are now possible via online?? Oh wait, it's because the game is a cash cow every year and they aren't going to pass up really fixing it for the load of cash they make off the game.

I'm glad to see sales have struggled this year. I feel like Ian fell short on a lot of promises, as well as Ryan Ferwerda who really dropped the ball on online franchise. I would be embarrassed at the effort put forth this year, especially Online Franchise.

I am a commish of a 32 team league, and I will say I like the website feature. But on the other hand, there are loads of features that didn't make it/got skimmed down/were supposed to be added later that didn't...etc...

Well it's 3 months later, where are the updates other than roster updates!?

The gameplay in Madden just drives me insane. There are some glaring issues that leak over every year because they just recycle the same engine over and over...

- CB's with eyes in the back of their head

- Lack of a deep ball

- Too many pick 6's because pursuit angles are broken

- CPU AI that is ******** (esp blocking)

- Inability to thread the needle or put ball where you want

- Running feels stiff, should be smooth

- Speed backs dominate, terrible pursuit

- Impossible to get sacks (D-line moves ineffective)

Things are terribly explained in Madden. There are no walk through tutorials like d-line, WR etc, mainly because there isn't much depth to the specific areas themselves.

As a user you feel like you have very little control over what's going on. I want to air the ball to T.O and I know where I want it, but when the pass comes off it's a terrible ball or the CB just turns around and grabs it.

I'm sure someone will take offense to something in the above but that's just my opinion. With the lack of a competitor Madden has definitely taken it nice and slow, leaving out features in 10 so they have stuff for 11 and so on and so forth.

I usually buy my football and hockey each year, but I'll be honest, next year I'm thinking I'll have to pass..it's just not fun anymore.

I can't play online with my friends like hockey. Madden's idea was to allow 2...wow...2 ppl to play on the same team...AGAINST THE CPU!!! Are you kidding me!? Where's the 4v4, the 6v6, the 11v11..sure it'll be chaos playing with strangers but playing with friends and board mates....AWESOME! But no let's put that in M12....

People say this Madden team is "headed in the right direction"..I couldn't disagree more. We need a fresh look at virtual football. The way it is now you will be playing Madden 2018 and it will feel the same with a bunch of add ons to purchase to squeeze even more money out of the consumer who has no alternative.

So the moral of my post is just to say that I've really had it with the garbage EA keeps putting out with it's football games, and they really need to change if they want to keep my purchase..a new engine and gameplay philosophy would be a good start....

-Sway
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-08-2009, 12:39 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 4
Re: Pretty sure this is the last Madden I'll be playing for a while...

Couldnt agree more. My main problem is i can destroy the cpu on all madden or higher difficulty and cant even play a close game. madden is the only sports game where I cant get a close game no matter what.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:57 AM   #3
MVP

Bgamer90's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwayGod53

If you walked up to a PS3 and started playing a next-gen Madden it might be hard to tell if you're playing 08, 09, or 10. It's really sad but true. The game is virtually the same, broken or unbroken, but they really all feel the same.
Definitely disagree there.
Old 10-08-2009, 01:10 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 5

Couldn't disagree more.

The number of threads that say this same thing is ridiculous. You can't honestly say you don't see the other 43805684 threads that have no other purpose than to complain about the game.

For God's sake there's 3 STICKIED threads where you can complain. WHY MAKE A NEW THREAD?

I literally JUST looked at the first page in this forum and some of the titles are:
"When will Madden get REAL???"
"Pretty sure this is the last Madden I'll be playing for a while..." "Madden 07 did so many things right"
"Madden 08 looks a lot better than 10!"
I mean seriously, the last two? Why even make a separate thread, whining about something so similar. It's like they want attention, like they are "cool" if they make a thread.

Just stop.

I love/hate Madden just as much as the rest of us. Hell, the only times I even consider playing it is usually saturdays and sundays, after watching the games, while I'm in a football mood. But you gotta realize nobody else in this forum cares about your problems.

Nobody cares if you don't like the game anymore. How about you do something else? Go get some air/exercise, or chill wit a girl, smoke, study, whatever else you do in REAL life. And if you don't HAVE a life, then just play another video game.

Don't come on the internet and vent to a bunch of people you don't know. That solves nothing, and just irritates people like me, who come on here to look for ways to improve the game, and not whine about it.

"With the lack of a competitor Madden has definitely taken it nice and slow, leaving out features in 10 so they have stuff for 11 and so on and so forth."
"Well why not release a fresh game every 2 years and just do roster updates, which are now possible via online?? Oh wait, it's because the game is a cash cow every year and they aren't going to pass up really fixing it for the load of cash they make off the game."

Wtf, you clearly answered the question to this whole situation yourself. If Madden makes a perfect game like everyone wants, then it will be the LAST successful Madden, because people won't need to buy another Madden, just roster updates. So WHY would EA do that?

If you're intelligent enough to realize WHY the game is like it is, then you should be intelligent enough to know that it's going to continue to be like this year after year and not have your hopes up.

You seem like the type of person to take it personal, go on the web and whine about it, then CONTINUE playing anyways, then rinse and repeat the next year. And not just you, whoever makes threads like this.

Whatever, I guess my point in all this is making threads like these are pointless. Go do something else if you don't like the game, and don't buy the game the next year.
Old 10-08-2009, 01:38 AM   #5
Rookie

jgarcia's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by coop9889
Couldn't disagree more.

The number of threads that say this same thing is ridiculous. You can't honestly say you don't see the other 43805684 threads that have no other purpose than to complain about the game.

For God's sake there's 3 STICKIED threads where you can complain. WHY MAKE A NEW THREAD?

I literally JUST looked at the first page in this forum and some of the titles are:
"When will Madden get REAL???"
"Pretty sure this is the last Madden I'll be playing for a while..." "Madden 07 did so many things right"
"Madden 08 looks a lot better than 10!"
I mean seriously, the last two? Why even make a separate thread, whining about something so similar. It's like they want attention, like they are "cool" if they make a thread.

Just stop.

I love/hate Madden just as much as the rest of us. Hell, the only times I even consider playing it is usually saturdays and sundays, after watching the games, while I'm in a football mood. But you gotta realize nobody else in this forum cares about your problems.

Nobody cares if you don't like the game anymore. How about you do something else? Go get some air/exercise, or chill wit a girl, smoke, study, whatever else you do in REAL life. And if you don't HAVE a life, then just play another video game.

Don't come on the internet and vent to a bunch of people you don't know. That solves nothing, and just irritates people like me, who come on here to look for ways to improve the game, and not whine about it.

"With the lack of a competitor Madden has definitely taken it nice and slow, leaving out features in 10 so they have stuff for 11 and so on and so forth."
"Well why not release a fresh game every 2 years and just do roster updates, which are now possible via online?? Oh wait, it's because the game is a cash cow every year and they aren't going to pass up really fixing it for the load of cash they make off the game."

Wtf, you clearly answered the question to this whole situation yourself. If Madden makes a perfect game like everyone wants, then it will be the LAST successful Madden, because people won't need to buy another Madden, just roster updates. So WHY would EA do that?

If you're intelligent enough to realize WHY the game is like it is, then you should be intelligent enough to know that it's going to continue to be like this year after year and not have your hopes up.

You seem like the type of person to take it personal, go on the web and whine about it, then CONTINUE playing anyways, then rinse and repeat the next year. And not just you, whoever makes threads like this.

Whatever, I guess my point in all this is making threads like these are pointless. Go do something else if you don't like the game, and don't buy the game the next year.
why dont you take your own advice instead of coming on here & flaming someone for stating there opinion. maybe you dont like reading about the issues that madden has but its true. Chill out bro go smoke a cig, excercise, or go outside
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-08-2009, 01:45 AM   #6
Rookie

You clearly didn't even get my post.
Old 10-08-2009, 01:47 AM   #7
Banned

OVR: 4

I do find it really annoying that so many people feel necessary to write long rants about the game.

As for your points I really think it's up to the user:

DB play: I really think this is the first game in a while that you have to be really smart with your throws, if you force it in a spot you will throw INTs... there is a reason why Brett Favre has thrown more INTs than any other QB in NFL history.

Again, the deep ball is there you just have to know when to throw it... tell me how many completions of 25+ yards before the YAC that QBs have in a game normally... hardly ever more than 1 or 2. If you get the right coverage and throw it to the correct side you can complete it.

Can't disagree with the pick 6's even though I haven't noticed as many since the Patch for some reason.

So you can't get sacks, but the CPU AI blocking is ********? Blocking as a whole needs work (especially against a 3/4 because they rarely block the OLB and it totally screws the running game.

Running is stiff... the animations need more tweeking, but they are better than before.

I haven't noticed the speed backs problem, I have actually had more success with guys that have the ability to break tackles (ie Jacobs, Wells etc.) But if you look at the top backs in the NFL how many of them are not fast?

As for sacks... I guess I have just never had a problem with them. I currently have 24 in my season after 7 games which is 3.4 per game and slightly above the NFL average (which is just over 2 per game after 4 weeks).... all of that without Patrick Kerney recording a sack until my 7th game. Controlling Lawrence Jackson myself I have recorded 5 sacks with him... Guys just expect to get a sack every time they go to hit the QB... they wanted realism and a team getting 5 or 6 sacks per game is not even close to real. Minnesota just had a monster game from Allen and they lead the NFL with 16 sacks... over half of them came vs. Green Bay! Cinci had a guy record 5 sacks in ONE game... and they have 12 on the season. People just have this weird misconception that teams are playing the David Carr Houston Texans every week and should get way more sacks than is normal.

What needs to be changed are those stupid lame duck throws... instead have a guy throw it into the ground or into the stands instead of a little floater that should be grounding.

Last edited by Biodawg03; 10-08-2009 at 01:56 AM.
Old 10-08-2009, 01:51 AM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by coop9889
Look who's venting now...

And it doesn't matter if we try to come up with ways to solve the game because EA will never listen to the consumer and actually put our suggestions into the game.

So, the OP is correct. Madden will be virtually the same 5 years from now except it will have new rosters.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »