Home

Old 10-10-2009, 08:03 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: Scripting plays

[quote=Howie75;2040306097]I started scripting plays last year (only on offense). I thought it was cool, as I would use some diverse plays and also would try to establish certain things to set up plays later in the game.QUOTE]

That is what I like about it. It allows you to use what I call "sister plays" which are the PA plays that are based on "sister" running plays, as well as plays that have the same formations and motions.

While I know that you can get by without having to "set-up" plays, it sure seems to feel more authentic when you break off a big play when you have schemed to set it up.
Old 10-10-2009, 08:51 PM   #18
Commitment to Excellence

Howie75's Arena

OVR: 13

[quote=astarr;2040306164]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie75
I started scripting plays last year (only on offense). I thought it was cool, as I would use some diverse plays and also would try to establish certain things to set up plays later in the game.QUOTE]

That is what I like about it. It allows you to use what I call "sister plays" which are the PA plays that are based on "sister" running plays, as well as plays that have the same formations and motions.

While I know that you can get by without having to "set-up" plays, it sure seems to feel more authentic when you break off a big play when you have schemed to set it up.
I agree. It may not be completely necessary, it's fun and like you said makes it more satisfying.

And in reality, part of Bill Walsh's philosophy about scripting plays was not only to establish certain tendencies, looks etc. but that an element of surprise could sometimes be had (by running on 3rd and long etc.)
Old 10-11-2009, 12:07 AM   #19
Rookie

Seattle Seahawks vs San Francisco 49ers.

First of all, the 49ers had Gore as their 3rd running back, I am sure I scouted their depth chart prior to the game. They actually signed a couple DTackles prior to the game which changed their strength inside.

Still, I stuck with my gameplan. I started out the game running inside. I'll tell you what, they stuffed me early. I had to go off my script on a 3rd and 9 (I do allow myself that if the situation dictates especially if I am behind or tied. I called a PA slide play that they bit on and converted it. Still, they forced me to kick a FG.

It was a messy game. I won (SEA) 27 (49ers) 3.

Basically, on offense I executed my game plan. I threw 3 interceptions. One was on a play where Willis blitzed and hurt Hasselbeck, the others were good plays by each of their starting corners.

I forced Hill into 5 Int's, 3 by Trufant. I primarily used a dime D with my LB's playing DE, and my DE's playing DT. When I tried to use a 4-3, their line bulldozed me. They still bulldozed me, but I got a ton of pressure on Hill. I only got 2 sacks, but I pressured him a ton. He was so inaccurate (Hill 9/28 for 59yds 0 TD's, and 5 Int's.

Glen Coffee 24/100 yds 0 TD's. Their passing game was so ineffective that they ran even when they were down by 2 touchdowns in the 3rd quarter.

They hurt Hasselbeck twice. He ended the game 16/25 178yds 2 TD's 3 Int's. I got Carlson twice for TD's. Basically I beat their blitzes on both plays. They brought a lot of pressure.

Here are some Team stats: Seattle had 340 total yards, 154 rushing, 186 passing, and controlled the ball for 27:59. SF had 168 total offense, 120 rushing, and 48 passing. They only had the ball 20:01. Both teams were 40% on 3rd down.

Oh, yeah, another thing, Crabtree wasn't on the depth chart. Now, when I started my franchise, I didn't go through each depth chart, so that may be the cause of that. I certainly am not going back and starting over, so we'll see what happens.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:12 PM   #20
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

OVR: 18

Astarr,

Looks like a pretty solid game. Did it feel like your gameplan came together or did you have to go off script. Thanks for all the info and putting together the thread, you definitely gave me some nuggets to think about, especially grabbing a whole other playbook to install druing a week. I've found that my playcalling was getting a bit stale, but the whole notion of self-scouting and scripting has helped me keep the game fresh.

I've always been facinated how playcallers tweak the playbook week to week, I remember Mike Martz used to put in 300 new plays in any given week. Oh, if only Madden could get back to giving the user total control...

I'm going to bookmark this thread. Let me know how your season turns out. Good luck and thanks again.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:03 PM   #21
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Palmer
Astarr,

Looks like a pretty solid game. Did it feel like your gameplan came together or did you have to go off script.
Well, as I said, they signed a couple of DT's that had 90+ strength ratings right before the game. I was prepared for their back-up DT who I believe was sub-80.

They started out stuffing the inside run (I actually had 7 out of the first 10 play calls be inside runs). I found myself in a quick 3rd and 9, so I had to improvise into a pass play. I converted a PA pass.

Other than 2 play calls in the first half, I stayed on script. I did a little better on the edge in the running game, and also used the juke move to cut some inside runs outside. That helped.

It was a sloppy game, but I didn't feel like it was cheap. I threw three INT's and they threw 5, but none of them felt cheap. For me one was a duck that I threw as I was hit. Thing is, it was totally legit. PWillis creamed Hasselbeck, put him out for a quarter, so the duck was completely warranted. The other two were plays where the cornerbacks jumped the routes. The thing is, they were playing that way all game. I was actually able to go over the top twice, because they were playing that way.

Right now, I am contemplating restarting, though, because the 49ers didn't have Gore #1 on the depth chart. So, since I just completed Game 2 of the season and have the game plans and notes, I am thinking that I may go back and re-adjust all the depth charts in the league and start over.

I will try and keep this thread going, since you are following it. I've had some back problems this year (was bed-ridden for two whole weeks), and with the change in the weather here in ID, I've had some trouble this week-end. I know it sounds crazy but yesterday I couldn't sit in a chair for very long, so I am going to take some ibuprofin and see if it will help. Hopefully, if I restart I can redo the first two games of the season tonight. We'll see.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-12-2009, 08:18 PM   #22
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

OVR: 18

Sorry to hear about your back. Hope you feel better. Oh, and don't kill yourself with a game by game recap. I'm just interested in your progress and in how your season ends winds up in totality and over the course of the ups and downs of a season if you feel it made you better.

And I'm a purist myself so I understand the dilemma over the Gore thing, but hey, he ain't playing in real life either and you should get plenty of chances against him in the next few years of your franchise. Just make sure you turn off the pre-existing injuries option when you start your franchise.
Old 10-12-2009, 08:52 PM   #23
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Palmer
Just make sure you turn off the pre-existing injuries option when you start your franchise.
I did have them off, actually. He was healthy, they just had him as number three on the depth chart. I will just go through and have them adjust their depth charts and go from there.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:07 PM   #24
Rookie

Replayed the Rams and 49ers (also made some slider adjustments). Still having too easy of a time running the ball. The thing that bothers me is breaking the Pro-Tak tackle. I don't mind it if it is either a one time a game thing, or if it was a game or two a year. I do believe that sometimes these guys go into a game and feel good for whatever reason, so they are faster a little stronger, etc, maybe the D is having a bad day tackling. However, I am averaging 8.6 yds a carry with Jonathan Stewart (remember I traded for him, a first rounder, Edge and either a guard or fullback. I went off the list of what they wanted for him.)

As far as the gameplans, they both worked really well. The first game Hasselbeck was kinda atrocious throwing a couple Ints and wasn't accurate (now it wasn't me, he just didn't hit his spots). Stewart and the D carried the day, and the Rams are awful.

Against the 49ers, I had a 21 point lead in the third, but the returned a fumble for a touchdown. I did really well on D, but they had two defensive TD's (int, fumble). They also sacked the holder on a FG attempt.

I keyed on Gore, and they never attempted to get Davis loose down the field. He just ran crossing routes, curls, hitches, etc.

I am enjoying the game planning.

Next come the Bears. Cutler, Forte and Hester. This will be the first speedy receiver that I have faced.

On the defensive side of the ball, they appear susceptible to the run. They will probably blitz like mad, so I have a ton of runs and PA plays off of those runs to see if I can neutralize their speed up front.

We'll see how it goes.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »