Home

Old 10-14-2009, 04:01 AM   #25
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: Scripting plays

Just to give an update. I beat the Bears and the Colts.

The Colts game played as true to the NFL as I have experienced with this game. Obviously the Hum user has a some advantage not having to rely on Artificial Intelligence.

Prior to the game I tweaked the sliders to favor the CPU more. The only pass that Manning missed was a long pass in which he had Dallas Clark with a linebacker on him. Clark had a step, maybe two, but Manning over-threw him. I am going to up the CPU QB Accuracy. I guess this first season will be more about finding a slider set I like. I actually got the CPU Rush D a whole lot better. Stewart averaged about 4.1 a carry. Now, I am trying to get the CPU to run better.

Back to the game. I won 24-17. Indy had two chances in the last 9:10. I had to punt, it went out at the 8 yard line. They couldn't do anything with the ball. I got caught in a 3rd and long way on my side of the field. I went with a pass with 2:25 left because they had stuffed two straight run plays. I threw an INT. So they had the ball on my 48 with 2:25 to go.

They completed a pass to clark (30+ yards if I remember correctly). Manning completely threaded the needle beautifully on the play. It was one of those where he fell sideways on the goaline, but his ball was in the wrong hand. So they were 1st and goal at my half yard line. Two passes, and a sack and it was 4th and about 4. I held and ran out the clock.

I have been using Josh McDaniels playbook. This game I wanted to really try and run the ball against Indy. I went with Mora's playbook. I scripted 40 plays (22run and 18 pass). I had to go off script a play here and there as the situation dictated. They were way better vs the run than I thought they would be. Scripting has been awesome.

I found a site that lets you download and print all of the playbooks. I downloaded it and can view it online. I will print it in the next few days. That helped speed up things a lot.

Well, not many people are paying attention to this thread, so this one is two long to preview. Sorry if their are errors. Good night!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-14-2009, 12:02 PM   #26
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

OVR: 18

Hey, do you have that link to the site with the playbooks.

Sounds like you're having fun with your season. Have you encountered any weather being up in Seatlle yet, like rain or wind. If so, how did that change up the gameplan? (Boy I wish Madden would give a potential weather report for upcoming games in franchise mode)

I remember going into the Bears you expected them to blitz like crazy and you planned accordingly. Was this the case?

And that Colts game sounded crazy. I'd really like to know your strategy going into that one for handling Peyton. Did you blitz a lot, stay in coverage, spotlight a receiver? How did you get pressure on him.

And that goalline stand, you've got to give me your defensive calls for that one. That just seems like an impossible situation to defend against such a complete offense.
Old 10-14-2009, 03:52 PM   #27
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Palmer
Hey, do you have that link to the site with the playbooks.

Sounds like you're having fun with your season. Have you encountered any weather being up in Seattle yet, like rain or wind. If so, how did that change up the gameplan?

I remember going into the Bears you expected them to blitz like crazy and you planned accordingly. Was this the case?

And that Colts game sounded crazy. I'd really like to know your strategy going into that one for handling Peyton. Did you blitz a lot, stay in coverage, spotlight a receiver? How did you get pressure on him.

And that goal line stand, you've got to give me your defensive calls for that one. That just seems like an impossible situation to defend against such a complete offense.
The site I found was maddentips.com. If you go to the Blog tab in the side area there is a link to a Game Script that I am going to print up and start using. I actually like the way its laid out. It Scripts the first 20 normal situation plays and has an area to put in situational plays.

As far as weather, I had one weather game in one of my old franchises. It rained. It is so crazy to play in the rain. Guys literally slip all over. I remember one play in particular where the CPU was on offense and they had a guy running free in the middle of the field. He fell down in the middle of his route, got up, and made the catch. So weather is interesting. I agree they need to flesh out the Weather report for the game.

The Bears did blitz like crazy. I was up by 21 mid-way through the 3rd, but they came back and I held on by a TD. I actually beat them by taking advantage of their blitz. I hit Carlson for two deep touchdowns because of their aggressive blitzing.

For the Colts, I highlighted Clark and Wayne depending on the situation. I really didn't get much pressure on Manning. What I learned about the Colts was that I could handle their running game even with a pass D, probably because Clark runs so many routes and they don't use a FB very often. I played that 2-4-5 D and the 1-5-5 D.

On the goal line stand, I believe that I played a 2-4-5 and blitzed from various places. Remember I use Aaron Curry exclusively. In the 2-4-5 he is the LE. Since the Colts were passing on the goal line, I would blitz from other places and I dropped back manually (audibled Curry to a spy) and covered the middle of the field. I only let Curry blitz on that one play I got the sack with him. Now, I had used Curry throughout the game blitzing sometimes and coverage mostly, but that was the only time I got Manning. On that particular play, I got routed to the middle by the blockers and finally dove toward Manning. Pressure must have gotten to him, because he stepped up as I was diving and I nailed him.

Switching up playbooks is the way to go. I am going to go to Kinko's and print all the playbooks (may even have them bound), then I will be able to script plays on the run. I can scout their team in about 45 minutes. I am getting better as it goes. Its a matter of figuring out if you are going to try running inside or out, and what kind of passing attack you are going to use. For example, against the Bears I used the Gun a ton, against the Colts I used various two back formations and the TE. I felt I could run against Mathis and Freeney, and use their aggression to get PA passes and a couple of screens. They don't have the dominant LB's like the Bears, so I wasn't as afraid of their blitzing. BTW, the Colts were a lot better vs. the run than I expected.
Old 10-15-2009, 05:26 PM   #28
Rookie

I am going to play my first game using maddentips call sheet. It is going to take some getting used to the way that they organize it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »