Home

A Ratings/Progression System We Can All Be Happy With!

This is a discussion on A Ratings/Progression System We Can All Be Happy With! within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-09-2009, 01:06 AM   #1
MVP

mmorg's Arena

OVR: 18
A Ratings/Progression System We Can All Be Happy With!

When it comes to Progression there seem to be two different camps. The first group has guys who want performance based progression. The second group has guys who want a more realistic progression system based upon multiple factors. The system I have come up with combines both of those to produce realistic situations involving players, player movement, and how franchises are run.

Basically, my system involves adding a GM to your staff. As it is right now in Madden 10 you have 5 staff members in the game. You have your Head Coach, Offensive Coordinator, Defensive Coordinate, Trainers, and Scouting Agency. Now let's say they add another staff member, that member being a GM. The GM's jobs in real life usually involves evaluating talent and this should be his job in the game. He will continually re-evaluate player ratings based upon performance and consistency.

Did Matt Stafford have 3 monster games in a row? Well he gets a few bumps on his ratings in the eye's of the GM. He played above the ratings that the GM scouted him at and the GM rewards him with a higher rating, increasing his value to the franchise.

Now the beauty of that is those bumps are just cosmetic for the time being. Under the hood his actual real ratings are still the same as they were when the season started. But the impression the GM gets is performance based for the most part. This way he still plays according to his real ratings, but the GM scouting him overvalues him for the time being.

So let's say you draft Sam Bradford and he comes into the NFL as a rookie with the following ratings.

92 THP
90 SAC
87 MAC
72 DAC
60 AWR
73 PA

A Potential.

Wow, Bradford is looking good. After he develops for a few years he is going to be a stud according to your GM. Uh-oh what's that? Your scout was wrong? But you have no idea because those are the ratings you see at first glance. You can then take him into pre-season and see how he plays on the field and see that his real ratings are actually:

82 THP
70 SAC
67 MAC
52 DAC
20 AWR
53 PA

C Potential

Now it will take a lot of playing time for your GM to actually re-evaluate this player down to this level possibly even a few seasons. This allows those true busts and true gems to happen.

Let's say you draft a Marques Colston and your GM thinks he is only a 60 OVR WR with D porential. So you play him in a few pre-season games and see that he is actually pretty effective and you move him onto your depth chart as the #3 receiver and after a few games your GM bumps his ratings up to a 70 OVR and B potential.

What this system allows is for a real Kurt Warner and Tom Brady situation to happen. Kurt Warner went from Super Bowl MVP with the Rams, got cut, went to the Giants and sucked it up, then backed up Leinart for the Cardinals, won the starting job, and he is now one of the top QB's in the league again. Tom Brady is self-explanatory.

Since GM's will be constantly re-evaluating your talent and the talent around the league players will be rated to the stats they are putting up, but their performance will be based upon the actual physical ratings that are under the hood and can't be seen by us.

Now this will help make the game more realistic and actually force us to evaluate talent. It will also make it a challenge to draft well and put together a solid roster of productive players. This is definitely the way to go and will make having a good GM important, much like it is in real life. The evaluation of talent is just as important as good coaching and should be in this game.

Now actual ratings progression can happen every few weeks during the season and should be based upon a couple of things. Such as coaching, work ethic, potential, and intelligence. But a new progression system is a whole different topic.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-09-2009, 01:17 AM   #2
Pro

OVR: 11
Re: A Ratings/Progression System We Can All Be Happy With!

love the idea
Old 09-09-2009, 01:17 AM   #3
MVP

OVR: 38

Amazing idea...Only if they had some of the staff that worked on HC......O wait they do, I don't think it will be long till we see something like this.
Old 09-09-2009, 02:06 AM   #4
MVP

RaiderKtulu's Arena

OVR: 13

That would be quite nice, I think.

Throw in the wrinkle from Head Coach where different players got different ratings due to the team's strategy, and I think we have a winner.
Old 09-09-2009, 02:19 AM   #5
MVP

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderKtulu
That would be quite nice, I think.

Throw in the wrinkle from Head Coach where different players got different ratings due to the team's strategy, and I think we have a winner.
This would also help with the 3-4 issue...Besides the game play stuff involved with it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-09-2009, 02:29 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 6

Definitly sounds interesting. Not a bad idea at all.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:31 AM   #7
Pro

masterkembo's Arena

OVR: 9

Very good idea - I like it.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:08 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 9

I understand what you are getting at and the concept isn't unrealistic, but I just wonder how different this is from just hiding ratings all together.

People that are interested in taking the time to actually watch players make plays in games, practice, preseason, etc. and make determinations about player levels based on what they see might enjoy this, but I have a feeling that there is a large base of Madden fans out there who wouldn't want to spend time "evalutating talent" so to speak.

Having said that, I suppose that having your GMs rated and having the better GMs assessed ratings come closer to the actual ratings might be something to add. But it still feels like hidden ratings with a misrepresentation of talent/skill over the top of it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »