Home

The Run Game!!!

This is a discussion on The Run Game!!! within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-12-2009, 03:26 PM   #1
Rookie

z ROCKnROLLA z's Arena

OVR: 13
The Run Game!!!

I love the running game, I feel more accomplished when I've had a great game rushing. Now I'm not saying I'm the best, I've just been using the run game since 92 madden to the present day, so thats 17 years of playing madden and using the run!!
I may have some help full tips for people that may struggle with the run!!

Let's Begin.

A good running game can open up the pass, it can open the middle of the field and also lead to some big plays down field.
You have two types of runner's, fast and agile, or truckers.
Both can do a job for you if used the right way. If you have a combination of the 2 Rb's then your set for a good running game, Look at the Cowboys Rb's, very good set for the run. Also the Giants.
These 2 teams have good combo runner's.

Building my running game franchise.

I build a team around the rush so trade for some good run blockers and fast receivers. I dont really need a top QB, as long as he is accurate then I'm good.

Fast receivers to create more space as they speed down the field creating space for my runner, I'm not scared to get rid of a 90 overall for a 80+ overall with speed and A potential.
For example I'm the Bucc's, I would trade Antonio Bryant 86 overall with B potential and wanting 11mil a year with 86 Speed and 91 Acceleration, for Eddie Royal 80 overall with A potential and 630K a year, Speed 93, Acceleration 94.

My Game plan.

I'm not gonna go straight into the run, I'm gonna build up to it and try a few throw's down field, trying to get the corners and safety's to back off. I'll try a few runs inside bringing the LB's inside to create space outside.
It's all just a set up to make that big break.
I know so many people who get frustrated with the run and they give up all together and then start forcing the pass!!
You have to stick with it because the hole will eventually open and lead to that big run.

My tips.

1. Practice, Practice, Practice.
There is a mode for you to practice and learn how to use your blockers and skill moves. So use it!!!

2. Use your BLOCKER's, let them run ahead and stay behind them. So NO sprinting!!!

3. No turbo and No right stick.
You will be amazed at how you can dodge a defender by just going left and right on the left stick. You can also break tackles without using the truck stick.
You wont see me use turbo button until I've broken the hole or I've pitched the ball outside.

4. Keep with it, try a whole game just running, exploring and trying all different types of run plays.

5. Good Luck

I hope this help's and that you've enjoyed the read!!!

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-13-2009, 07:22 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: The Run Game!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by z ROCKnROLLA z
My tips.

2. Use your BLOCKER's, let them run ahead and stay behind them. So NO sprinting!!!

3. No turbo and No right stick.
You will be amazed at how you can dodge a defender by just going left and right on the left stick. You can also break tackles without using the truck stick.
You wont see me use turbo button until I've broken the hole or I've pitched the ball outside.

4. Keep with it, try a whole game just running, exploring and trying all different types of run plays.

I hope this help's and that you've enjoyed the read!!!
Nice re-direction from the sliders thread, solid read. just a few points id like to make.

2. You use use your blockers does that mean avoid formations like singleback, do you prefer having another FB or HB along side the RB to follow as you say or can this even be via a singleback but a WR who has been moved in motion across the line of scrimmage.

Either way, I find that my main blocker in front say...using the I-Formation simply attracts soo many other defenders i.e LB and Safety's etc are soo close that if i am lucky to break the line its for a 1-2 yard gain at best.

It's almost as though i can only semi run (and i mean this loosely) when im in say Singleback-4 Wide receiver set as it more often than not leaves me with the safeties back and generally just 1 MLB so if i get through the line (unassisted as ive no lead blocker) a quick flick of the right stick and i can almost get 6 odd yards which for me is HUGE!

3. No Turbo & No Right stick

I CAN lay off the right stick, but TURBO is soo hard to do.

I'll tell you why, i really like the outside runs often to the weak side, or say a weak counter with perhaps 1 or max 2 lead blockers and i have read that if you are running say left...slide protect right. I don't really know WHY this is but that's what ive always done.

However i find as soon as i get the ball i dont have much time before the CB or the ROLB is in my face, my LT and Guard just get creamed and next thing i know im around a yard behind the line of scrimmage and i MUST then juke with the right stick HOPING I BEAT the defender if i beat him its soo quick that the next guy is on me. long story stort its often 2-9 or 2-11

So often as soon as i see a TINY gap i want to TURBO through it but as soon as i do the CPU breaks my O-Line or Blocker and BANG they get me, i think i prefer jackson to grant because jackson is faster. I have NO idea about stats as ive not looked but with jackson as soon as i turbo im able to at least get past 1 guy and IF i can beat the next one its a nice gain. Maybe i dnt know how to use Grant effectively?

4. Different run plays is another problem, i like to use the same formation a lot such as Singleback and mainly out of the shotgun, I-Form i use to run initially but as i see soo many defenders up in my face at the line i quickly audible to PA pass. And i get big gains as the CPU sends the house and ive always got an easy flat pass to the RB which i dislike as almost all my passing yards come from this typical play where ive audbiled and caught the CPU sending too many blitzers.

Do you have any running plays that are almost your BASE, and if you dont like the matchup audible out of. For me its very much I-Form tight and Singleback. But i get frustrated by I-Form because the CPU always brings more heat and i find with my blocking the defender always gets through.

Ive noticed that as soon as the ball is snapped ALL I PRESS is COVER BALL....and Up on my left stick to straight away initiate a forward movement (if say its a run straight up the gut). As im almost at the line i release COVER ball and TURBBO but as soon as that turbo's hit BANG the Tackle has me and it's over.

I sometimes see him make a move on me and i flick the right stick and hope to break free or truck but it basically ends with me bouncing off the tackler and into another tackle.

Is my technique wrong here? should i WAIT then move forward to let blocks develop or is this bad as im 3-4 yards behind the line and ive not got any momentum heading into my running path.

Finally ive also got into the habit of say im in the IFORM and im rushing weak side, il move the Tight end in motion as an extra blocker on the left. In madden 08 and 9 this worked soo much as the blocking was great. in Madden 10 he does nothing and next thing i know is i have heat in my face.

I hope you can dissect all this terrible rushing by myself and suggest some extra tips.

thanks in advance!!!
Old 10-13-2009, 09:31 PM   #3
Rookie

z ROCKnROLLA z's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnycast27
Nice re-direction from the sliders thread, solid read. just a few points id like to make.

2. You use use your blockers does that mean avoid formations like singleback, do you prefer having another FB or HB along side the RB to follow as you say or can this even be via a singleback but a WR who has been moved in motion across the line of scrimmage.

Either way, I find that my main blocker in front say...using the I-Formation simply attracts soo many other defenders i.e LB and Safety's etc are soo close that if i am lucky to break the line its for a 1-2 yard gain at best.

It's almost as though i can only semi run (and i mean this loosely) when im in say Singleback-4 Wide receiver set as it more often than not leaves me with the safeties back and generally just 1 MLB so if i get through the line (unassisted as ive no lead blocker) a quick flick of the right stick and i can almost get 6 odd yards which for me is HUGE!
I will use any formation for the run, Singleback is great, as who ever your playing CPU or human will be expecting a pass. I don't really like having another HB next to my main runner, but a FB is important as he can actually block unlike some HB's. The FB's job is to lead for you and will always attract blockers as that is his main job.

Single Back Run Plays, with lead blockers
Here's a few plays from singleback formation...

HB Toss Strong - if running to the right, The ball will be tossed to you whilst running right, your aim is to get passed the LOLB, your LWR and RWR will sprint up the field pushing the corners and safety's back, Your RT and TE will push forward whilst your RG runs right to block the LOLB or who ever is there. If play is reversed opposite side players will do what I've just said.

HB Blast - Here you will run through the line on the left in between LG and LT. LG and LT will push whilst RG runs left to give a 5th Blocker on that side. so you will have a Left TE LT, LG, C and RG blocking for you.

HB Stretch - Here you will have 2 WR on the left who will sprint up the field, you will have TE and WR on the right blocking for you. Your aim is to get to the outside. Your TE and WR will block for you. this is not really a big gainer.

HB Power O - This can either be a great play or you get stuffed at the line, it all depends on how well your blockers do.
Here you will have 2 WR on the left sprinting up the field, you will send your Right WR in motion and you can see if they are playing zone or man, he will also block for you along with TE, RT and your left guard will come to support the block. You will run right and your aim is to wait for the LG to lead the way through the hole in between RT and TE, if the hole isn't there the side step right and go around the blockers. I've had some big gainers with this play when it comes off.

HB Toss Crack - Again your WR on the left will run up the field, Your Right WR will motion and block with your TE,the RG and RT will run right to support the TE and WR and your aim is to stay behind these 4 guys and wait for the hole. Again if the hole isn't there, then separate and run around the blocks .

HB Cut Back - You will line up with 3 WR who will sprint up the field creating space for your blocks, you will run right and then cut back to the left, and will run in between LG and LT, your RG will run to the left to add another blocker.

Thats just a few plays I know of I'm sure there are plenty more.

Quote:
3. No Turbo & No Right stick

I CAN lay off the right stick, but TURBO is soo hard to do.

I'll tell you why, i really like the outside runs often to the weak side, or say a weak counter with perhaps 1 or max 2 lead blockers and i have read that if you are running say left...slide protect right. I don't really know WHY this is but that's what ive always done.

However i find as soon as i get the ball i dont have much time before the CB or the ROLB is in my face, my LT and Guard just get creamed and next thing i know im around a yard behind the line of scrimmage and i MUST then juke with the right stick HOPING I BEAT the defender if i beat him its soo quick that the next guy is on me. long story stort its often 2-9 or 2-11

So often as soon as i see a TINY gap i want to TURBO through it but as soon as i do the CPU breaks my O-Line or Blocker and BANG they get me, i think i prefer jackson to grant because jackson is faster. I have NO idea about stats as ive not looked but with jackson as soon as i turbo im able to at least get past 1 guy and IF i can beat the next one its a nice gain. Maybe i dnt know how to use Grant effectively?
The 1st thing I do when I play with a new team is look at the O line and my RB's and FB. If they cant block for the run then I trade them for people who can. I will always have a speed RB and a Trucker RB. I use the Speed RB for pitch play's misdirections, toss plays or any play to the outside. I will use the trucker for inside run plays. [he is very important for 3rd down plays when there's a few yards to go]

Grant is your Power/trucker RB and Jackson is your speed/agile RB. Grant only has a higher rating due to his awareness, I looked at Jackson for a trade to my Buccs team as he is a one of the best power backs in the NFL, but I decided against him because he cant catch!!!

The reason why you get tackled so early is because your using turbo, yeah it sounds wrong but thats the truth, the tackler disengages from the blocker as soon as your past them and you dont have the acceleration to get past because you are already sprinting.

You will always get plays that get stuffed for minus yards or you gain a few yards, but thats the running game, you need to keep with it and keep pushing for the extra yards, because eventually when their D is so warn down you will blow the game open late in the 3rd Q and then the 4th Q is all yours to pound your way down the field.

Quote:
4. Different run plays is another problem, i like to use the same formation a lot such as Singleback and mainly out of the shotgun, I-Form i use to run initially but as i see soo many defenders up in my face at the line i quickly audible to PA pass. And i get big gains as the CPU sends the house and ive always got an easy flat pass to the RB which i dislike as almost all my passing yards come from this typical play where ive audbiled and caught the CPU sending too many blitzers.
Well in this situation you need to pin there Safety's and LB's back, by this you have to start throwing the ball, mixing your plays up, long throw, run, short throw, inside run, outside run, etc...then the CPU will have no idea what is coming next.
You can have a RB who has 50 odd yards in the 1st Q, but it will be harder for him as the game goes on because their D men and LB's will be aiming for him to stop him contributing anymore yards. So you need to mix it up.

Quote:
Do you have any running plays that are almost your BASE, and if you dont like the matchup audible out of. For me its very much I-Form tight and Singleback. But i get frustrated by I-Form because the CPU always brings more heat and i find with my blocking the defender always gets through.

Ive noticed that as soon as the ball is snapped ALL I PRESS is COVER BALL....and Up on my left stick to straight away initiate a forward movement (if say its a run straight up the gut). As im almost at the line i release COVER ball and TURBBO but as soon as that turbo's hit BANG the Tackle has me and it's over.

I sometimes see him make a move on me and i flick the right stick and hope to break free or truck but it basically ends with me bouncing off the tackler and into another tackle.

Is my technique wrong here? should i WAIT then move forward to let blocks develop or is this bad as im 3-4 yards behind the line and ive not got any momentum heading into my running path.
Wait for your blocks if your run play is set up for it, if you are gonna pitch or toss the ball the you will need to sprint to get passed the LB and will run into a CB or Safety thats when you juke, stiff arm.
If your getting tackled straight away, try and truck or use stiff arm to push them off you.
I never cover the ball up, it just slows you down and for me it doesn't make a difference.
You have to be quick with your decisions, like chess you need to think ahead. Anticipate what is going to happen, try side stepping earlier.
I will give you some running plays at the end of this post.

Quote:
Finally ive also got into the habit of say im in the IFORM and im rushing weak side, il move the Tight end in motion as an extra blocker on the left. In madden 08 and 9 this worked soo much as the blocking was great. in Madden 10 he does nothing and next thing i know is i have heat in my face.

I hope you can dissect all this terrible rushing by myself and suggest some extra tips.

thanks in advance!!!
I think that will be all upto your sliders, as I've seen some mad blocks by my TE and WR in this game. But it may also be how consistent the game play is. Sometimes they block sometimes they dont...

Ok some of my best Run plays are...I wont tell you what they do, just check them out and practice them.

Gun form - HB Off Tackle - Power HB
Singleback/I-Form - HB Blast - Power HB
Singleback/I-Form/Weak{no motion in I-Form} - HB Power O - Power HB
Singleback - HB Cut Back - Speed HB
Singleback - HB Misdirection - Speed HB
Singleback - HB Weak Dive - Speed or Power HB
I-Form - HB Counter - Power HB
I-Form - HB Toss - Speed HB
I-Form - HB Counter - Power HB
I-Form - RB Stretch - Speed HB...now this is a great play if the other team doesn't have anyone lined up on the side your running.
Strong - HB Sweep - Speed HB
Strong - Counter Weak - Speed HB
Strong - Strong Stretch - Speed HB
Strong - HB Stretch - Speed HB
Weak - Toss Weak - Speed HB

I could go on and on and on...there are some nice run plays in these following playbooks Falcons, Steelers, Dolphins and Giants.

Well I hope this helps you and that you stick with the run game!!!

Last edited by z ROCKnROLLA z; 10-13-2009 at 09:34 PM.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:39 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by z ROCKnROLLA z
The reason why you get tackled so early is because your using turbo, yeah it sounds wrong but thats the truth, the tackler disengages from the blocker as soon as your past them and you dont have the acceleration to get past because you are already sprinting.
I wish EA would take this out.

There's nothing realistic about this. Chris Johnson sprints through a hole and suddenly the defender jumps off his block from full engaged to tackle him?

Not likely.

I guess it's one of those "anti-cheesing" measures?
Old 10-13-2009, 09:50 PM   #5
MVP

TeamBuilder's Arena

OVR: 15

I love #2 under your tips section. A lot of people don't know how to follow their blockers but that's so huge in this game. Good read.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-13-2009, 10:10 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
I had to do this today in my chise. I only run with 2 QBs and they both got hurt so I had to depend solely on the ground game. I broke a record while I was at it, gaining 352 yards with my boy Kelvin Taylor.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:19 PM   #7
Rookie

z ROCKnROLLA z's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
I wish EA would take this out.

There's nothing realistic about this. Chris Johnson sprints through a hole and suddenly the defender jumps off his block from full engaged to tackle him?

Not likely.

I guess it's one of those "anti-cheesing" measures?
Yeah your not wrong EA just dont know what realistic is, they claim to but they just dont.
When I first got madden and I played my 1st game, i beat the line, found the hole and then bang out of no where I get tackled by this LB who's done a 180 degree turn off a block and tackled me...I replayed the instant replay over and over because I couldn't believe it. I called 3 of my friends to come round to my house and check this out!!!I was totally stunned by it.

Now I'm used to it and accept it, but I still curse the EA game developers over it and I really, really, really want to shoot the game testers...lol joking..but seriously I wanna drag the designers and testers to a game and show them "LOOK, this is what the run game is like, THIS is realism, THAT what you call madden 10 is not realism, I don't give a poop about 8 men gang tackles, I care about the smoothness of the run game, big hits and good skill move's"
In a real game it will take an outstanding tackler to bring down a good HB, and normally its 2-3 players making a tackle on him. Or he's a dumb *** and runs into 9 big 300lbs plus men into a hole thats not there...NOW thats football!!!

Last edited by z ROCKnROLLA z; 10-13-2009 at 10:35 PM.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:24 PM   #8
Rookie

z ROCKnROLLA z's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamBuilder
I love #2 under your tips section. A lot of people don't know how to follow their blockers but that's so huge in this game. Good read.
Thanks for the comment, and yeah a lot of people forget what blockers are for, You can watch the CPU run the ball and he will follow every block he can.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »