Home

3rd/4th Down Awareness

This is a discussion on 3rd/4th Down Awareness within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-13-2009, 07:53 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 21
3rd/4th Down Awareness

My players never extend a route (curls and sidelines) to get to the markers and often times it forces me to throw to them and hope they eek out extra yardage.

I just don't understand the logic of them running just the route, absent minded to the goal. For offline games (with the cpu) this is extremely noticable. I have even seen QB's throw the ball away on 4th down.

Along the same line, but a different reason is the animations carrying guys out of bounds. Its mainly with the animations so long I lose control of the player just enough to not make a cut. Its over head catch is the worst for this because the player loses speed. Its not about finding a more open player or "getting better" at the game. I cant control catch animations no matter how great you think you are, you cant either.

On the flip side, defenders rarely understand this either. Most apparent on the goal line where they still try to wrap up tackle or start a "pro tack" situation. On the goal line, players in the secondary seldom try to wrap a player up in real life. I never see guys going for the strip or trying to knock the ball out in that situation either.

I hate to bring up 2k because it just spawns arguments but in both 2k5 and 2k8 players adapted to the line of scrimmage with routes. Defenders usually go for "no hand tackles" on the goal line. QB's seem far more often to force passes on 4th down, I know this because I pick them all the time to "seal" games.

This goes for the cpu players on offense and defense too, which is critical because I can only play as one person. Likewise I rely on the game to switch to the "best" player, which isnt instant.

Last edited by RyanMoody21; 10-13-2009 at 07:55 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-13-2009, 08:20 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: 3rd/4th Down Awareness

Try smart routing before the snap. Hot route, select your receiver, and then push in the right (I think) stick.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:23 PM   #3
Pro

carnalnirvana's Arena

awareness in general is lacking...

the cpu dont even know who their #1 wr is. if they cant get that right there is no way they will get 3/4 down awareness plays right.

the cpu hits the fb and rb on 3rd downs way too much. they also depend on the slot guys all game...

defenders as well dont know whats going on, the programming is basic at best these guys run and tackle on every down with the same urgency....

countless times i have seen rb's run out of bounds with inches to go for the 1st down against db's

after playing nba live 10 i know for a fact me and 10 other guys could have made madden 10 in 3 months, this game is more basic than vanilla,if this game had been released as an xbl arcade game it would have been over priced...

#18 greatest EVA....
Old 10-13-2009, 08:23 PM   #4
Pro

OVR: 12

I believe that you can use the "smart route" hot route (press in on the right thumbstick) and it should extend the WR's route to go past the first down marker. I've never actually tried it but I've heard that that's what the smart route does.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:26 PM   #5
Pro

carnalnirvana's Arena

i think we both are aware that WE can use hot routes but i dont think the cpu got that memo( maybe the cpu didn't read the booklet)

#18 greatest EVA....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-13-2009, 08:48 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 1

Supposedly if you hold down left trigger you can direct a receiver with the right analog don't quote me on this just something I read on here haven't tried it though

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »