Home

What aspect do you think should make a Football challenging?

This is a discussion on What aspect do you think should make a Football challenging? within the Madden NFL Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen
FIFA 21 Review
Tennis World Tour 2 Review
Doug Flutie's Maximum Football 2020 Review
Poll: Which next-gen console are you going to purchase? (Click to vote)

Old 10-17-2009, 12:56 AM   #25
Banned

OVR: 13
Re: What aspect do you think should make a Football challenging?

Not to be a buzz kill, but your play call really is your guess as to what is coming as far as the play the opponent is gonna run!!!

Now I do miss the pass vs run commit on the right stick deal, but I think a better system would be a gameplan feature - a spinoff of NCAA's gameplan deal.

You ought to be able to set your teams general stuff like in NCAA and then get more specific with certain personnel groupings - ie you could force the CBs and FS to be highly focused on pass defense which would alter the effects of the play-action on them, but would also make draw plays/ delay runs more effective.

You should be able to tell the Dline to play a one gap penetrating style or a 2-gap eat up blockers and shed to tackle style.

One big thing I miss from legacy gen is the the Defensive playmaker system where you selected a player and just moved the R-stick to make whatever adjustment and the coverage audibles where you could shade specific recievers left or right and you could play bumb and run on one reciever versus your blanket press or play off crap that we have now. You actually see this quite a bit IRL if you watch, one CB in man will be playing off coverage and the slot guy is playing normal and the one CB is playing BNR.
This also allowed you to really disguise what you were doing cuz you could make a CB look like he is playing man coverage and giving a cushion, but he would actually be in a flat zone coverage so if the QB just stood up and threw it you had a real chance of a pick or a quick tackle for no gain.
The other thing the old system did was made it easier to manually double team specific reciever's without having to guess where you opponent was gonna line him up at the playcall screen!

And lastly I wish they would create sumthin where when you play a human opponent, on or off line, the game would record his playing style and tendencies. The timing of jukes, spins, pass vs run, situational and so forth and then you could choose after the game to save that as a "Ghost Opponent" and you could load it into play now games or "attach" that Ghost Opponent to a franchise team or Coach within franchise mode!

If you played enough people, then you could get like ten different "Ghost Opponents" and have them randomnly tossed into your offline franchise or have the option to have the CPU draw from the "pool" of then every time you play a computer controlled team!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-17-2009, 02:55 AM   #26
MVP

KillRoy's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Not to be a buzz kill, but your play call really is your guess as to what is coming as far as the play the opponent is gonna run!!!
I'll have to disagree... typically, in a videogame the success of your play is determined by 'hot routes' and then you just guessing correctly on who the QB is going to throw the ball to and not exactly good play calling. Especially when you have the ability to "flip" the play at the line of scrimmage. That makes it a real bitch when trying to contain the run and pass.

The ability to adjust 'hot routes' and flip the play at the line of scrimmage should be taken out of the game really, calling an audible is okay because, essentially you're just changing the play. But it all boils down to just calling hot routes and making an "easy" pass to your hot receiver. Thats all Madden is and 2k5 for that matter. Your play call doesn't really matter.

Another thing is how ridiculously easy it is to throw 60+ yard passes in the game. They don't always work but QB's seem to be able to throw them with amazing accuracy.
Old 10-17-2009, 04:01 AM   #27
Banned

Nintari's Arena

OVR: 11

What I've always wanted in an NFL sim is stellar AI. I want the CPU to think like a human player as much as possible. I want the CPU to destroy me when I call the same play two times in a row. I want them to properly disguise blitzes and coverages like real NFL defenses.

Just overall a "smarter" engine. The NFL is one big brutal chess match. Madden has a LONG way to go before we can say that about it.
Old 10-17-2009, 10:43 AM   #28
MVP

Tyrant8RDFL's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nintari
What I've always wanted in an NFL sim is stellar AI. I want the CPU to think like a human player as much as possible. I want the CPU to destroy me when I call the same play two times in a row. I want them to properly disguise blitzes and coverages like real NFL defenses.

Just overall a "smarter" engine. The NFL is one big brutal chess match. Madden has a LONG way to go before we can say that about it.
I hear what your saying about disguising defenses. They always line up in a standard formation for what ever you called.

It would be nice to see them moving around and going from 1 gap to another, or faking a blitz.
Old 10-17-2009, 12:49 PM   #29
Rookie

OVR: 3

I agree with Boregard. You already get a bonus for picking the right play call: your players are in the right places to make plays.
Old 10-17-2009, 01:52 PM   #30
Pro

carnalnirvana's Arena

OVR: 21

what i think should make a football game challenging !!!

stopping the other teams best player from doing what they do....

you could have the best scheme or gameplan BUT if you dont stop guys you will lose....

ex. its hard to beat the steelers because on most 3 downs thier QB will do everything he can to get that conversion LETS conpare this to madden on countless 3rd and 5-7 i have seen the cpu dump it off or run short curls......

this is where the game fails when compared to reality and there goes the challenge, i know if i bump and run the qb will throw to the first guy who breaks off who is most times the Rb

the game needs AI that thinks best player first then yds necessary, with out this all improvments are pointless because thats the first thing you discuss in the huddle

as it stands the cpu calls plays to satisfy a requirement for realistic stats for the user, they dont care about winning

#18 greatest EVA....
Old 10-17-2009, 04:06 PM   #31
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnkorean
I agree with you wholeheartedly, but ultimately I think this is unlikely to happen. My intuition is that the majority of people who play Madden want it to be realistic but easy (e.g., they should be able to win every Super Bowl for 30 years with the Lions, but with realistic stats somehow; otherwise, the game is broken). They don't want to have to work to achieve the results they want because they're lazy (what do you mean Darrelle Revis jumped a curl route and intercepted JaMarcus Russell for a TD? Broken!!!).

The other issue is we don't want to make the game so hard that only a professional NFL coordinator would have a chance at being effective. People want to feel like they'd be good enough to work in the NFL without having to put the work in.
This!!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-17-2009, 04:57 PM   #32
MVP

KillRoy's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nintari
I want them to properly disguise blitzes and coverages like real NFL defenses.

Yeah, totally agree!

This is a big problem in Madden. The defense is always giving away the coverage before the ball is snapped. They always show blitz and you know right away that its going to be a blitz. And when you call 'double team' on the wide receiver the stupid saftey runs over and lines up where the reciever and corner back are totally giving away the play. There should be an option to 'show coverage' or 'show blitz'. Like when you pull up the 'before the snap options' you have the choice to either show blits or not show blitz or show coverage or not show coverage. That would improve the game a lot.

One other thing that would help the game is increasing the player momentum. I know some people will disagree with me on this but I think they should increase it. What I mean by player momentum is when you're running at full speed its hard to stop and change direction. Player momentum seriously needs to be increased fto make it harder to change direction when you're running af full speed. Right now I can almost turn on a dime and tackle people. This would help the slow QBs in the game and give them a better chance of dodging incomming blitzers. Right now, everyone plays with fast QBs. I think increase player momentum for defensive players and decrease it for the man with the ball would help the game a lot!! Running east and west doesn't really work that well but if you decreased the player momentum for the ball-carrier it would help the east and west running!

Last edited by KillRoy; 10-17-2009 at 05:34 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »