Home

Better Sim Stats In Patch #2

This is a discussion on Better Sim Stats In Patch #2 within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-16-2009, 05:24 AM   #25
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Better Sim Stats In Patch #2

To the OP

There are a number of sim stats that are incorrect at the moment, and Josh Looman has already advised in a previous thread that he has been able to correct some of them in time for patch 2, but others have proved too difficult.

I'll list the problems and whether or not each has been fixed by Josh:

1. Too few OLB Sacks - this has apparantly been fixed.
2. Too few rush TD's - again fixed.
3. Too high passing yardage by QB's - apparantly fixed
3. Too low average RB YPC - not fixed
4. High end RB's getting too high YPC (e.g. Jacobs, AP, Barber) - not fixed
5. Average team scoring too low - not fixed.
6. Too many sacks overall - not fixed.
7. Too many punts - not fixed.

Josh effectively admitted that the sim engine is broken (although he did not say this outright). For example he acknowledged to me that too many sacks were occuring (50% too many - I counted!), but said if he tried to fix it then passing went through the roof as a result.

Instead of getting the basics right like average yard per play + average number of plays per game and building up from there, EA seem to have created a sim engine monster that not even the developer can properly control.

Perhaps Josh (who from his postings appears to care about getting it right) will have the chance to rebuild a better engine for 2011.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-16-2009, 10:06 AM   #26
Banned

kpkpkp's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by British Bronco
To the OP

There are a number of sim stats that are incorrect at the moment, and Josh Looman has already advised in a previous thread that he has been able to correct some of them in time for patch 2, but others have proved too difficult.

Josh effectively admitted that the sim engine is broken (although he did not say this outright). For example he acknowledged to me that too many sacks were occuring (50% too many - I counted!), but said if he tried to fix it then passing went through the roof as a result.

Instead of getting the basics right like average yard per play + average number of plays per game and building up from there, EA seem to have created a sim engine monster that not even the developer can properly control.

Perhaps Josh (who from his postings appears to care about getting it right) will have the chance to rebuild a better engine for 2011.
Hey British, great post thanks.

In my chise I have playes 6 weeks. I have played every down of every game for the my team (the Pats). I have 4 rushing TD's w/ F. Taylor. Some CPU teams have 5-6 rushing TD's. I thought that was pretty normal. (Also I use DB's custom sliders)

But I guess its good they're fixing some of this stuff.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:49 PM   #27
Rookie

OVR: 3

I would like for them also to fix pancake blocks.

Either Lessen the computer pankcake blocks or increase our ingame blocks. No matter what team I use I never get as many pancakes as the computer does.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:58 PM   #28
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by British Bronco
To the OP

My impression was this is the plan. I saw what Josh was working with in terms of tuning the sim engine, and I think considering the circumstances he did a phenomenal job.

When you look back over the history of football games, sim stats have always been an issue in virtually every one (honestly, I can think of one that didn't have some problems) and Madden 10's issues, for the most part, are less glaring than past Madden's at least. Even 2k has a crap sim engine.

At least backups get playing time now.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »