Home

Madden NFL 10 Blog: 2nd Title Update Preliminary Details

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 10 Blog: 2nd Title Update Preliminary Details within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 06:58 PM   #193
MVP

bgeno's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Madden NFL 10 Blog: 2nd Title Update Preliminary Details

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectSRT
You should have caught hell because that type of thinking is stupid. The gameplay can be absolutely flawless but if the atmosphere isnt there, the game fails. Period.
Absolutely baffling.

I don't agree with this at all.

How can you think that? Who plays for cut scenes and overlays? Don't you people play the game to play football?

If the game doesn't play like football, then what good is atmosphere?

Quote:
They can upgrade both at the same time. No need to completely scrap one in favor of the other. Thats just damn idiotic.
That's not true either.

There's only so much time, money and other resources... especially with patches. You can't do everything at once. Something has to have a higher priority than something else.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:57 PM   #194
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgeno
Absolutely baffling.

How can you think that? Who plays for cut scenes and overlays? Don't you people play the game to play football?

That's not true either.

There's only so much time, money and other resources... especially with patches. You can't do everything at once. Something has to have a higher priority than something else.
They have different departments just like every other company. It's not unusual to have the game play department work on game play, the art department work on art, the presentation dept work on presentation, the franchise dept work on franchise, etc.......

Game play as well as presentation needed updating. The last 2 versions have been boring to play.

If you don't like the cut scenes or they become repetitious, at least you have an option to skip them. I saw one just today where the home team was beating the vs team by a few scores and with less than 2 minutes left in the game, the camera panned to the vs. team fans exiting.

That adds to atmosphere. Presentation enhances game play.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:27 PM   #195
Banned

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
They have different departments just like every other company. It's not unusual to have the game play department work on game play, the art department work on art, the presentation dept work on presentation, the franchise dept work on franchise, etc.......

Game play as well as presentation needed updating. The last 2 versions have been boring to play.

If you don't like the cut scenes or they become repetitious, at least you have an option to skip them. I saw one just today where the home team was beating the vs team by a few scores and with less than 2 minutes left in the game, the camera panned to the vs. team fans exiting.

That adds to atmosphere. Presentation enhances game play.
The above type of cut-scene does add to the game ... Extra Point imo adds ZERO value. "Pretend" half-time shows just don't work imo, never will. In-game cut-scenes on the other hand are definitely worth retaining.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-19-2009, 08:37 PM   #196
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeler99
The above type of cut-scene does add to the game ... Extra Point imo adds ZERO value. "Pretend" half-time shows just don't work imo, never will. In-game cut-scenes on the other hand are definitely worth retaining.
I agree with that 100%, but I will say that because 08 and 09 were so boring, I do look at EP. It's not 100% what it could be, but in my case, I'll take it, to me, it's better than just end of the game highlights and not having anything at all.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:21 PM   #197
MVP

OVR: 24

Quote:
Really rings true, especially when one takes a good look at what the Live 10 team accomplished this year. While they didn't completely scrap presentation, they didn't completely ignore it, either. But, it's obvious they focused alot more on revamping the gameplay, and making it higher priority. Now, the base is good, and presentation can be more focused on. It shouldn't be the other way around.

Madden has never truly revamped the gameplay this gen. They keep adding gimmicks, better graphics, but not enough attention given to the core gameplay. Live 10 may not have guys sweeping the court, but the gameplay is much improved. Take a look at the reviews for Live this year, and see the genuine appreciation for focusing on gameplay over presentation.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:06 PM   #198
Banned

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
I agree with that 100%, but I will say that because 08 and 09 were so boring, I do look at EP. It's not 100% what it could be, but in my case, I'll take it, to me, it's better than just end of the game highlights and not having anything at all.
i dont agree with you. i think the cut scenes are not very god at all in madden 10. i dont even notice half the cut scenes bec im picking my play so i dont see it anyway. But i think the cut scenes are perfect for two player games. gives you something to watch while the other player is picking the play. i hope madden dev finds a better way to make the cut scenes more better and more visible during the game next game.
Old 10-19-2009, 11:29 PM   #199
Banned

OVR: 2
Please add FLACK JACKETS, RUNNING BACK PLATES, & DIFFERENT STYLES OF NECK BRACES. These are the most worn accessories in the NFL but yet there not in the game? Come on EA!
Old 10-20-2009, 12:07 AM   #200
Rookie

OVR: 7

Quote:
Absolutely baffling.

That's not true either.

Honestly, I don't care how great gameplay is. If the atmosphere is bad, who wants to play it? 20 years ago on NES and Genesis this stuff didn't matter. As technology has grown over 20 years, how can we not have high expectations for it to mirror the real NFL? The thorough recap shows and fluent commentary happens on Sunday. Similar to what EA advertised as the tagline for this game right? There's no excuse for why any of this can't happen. Atmosphere and Gameplay should be a marriage in all sports games. Commentary in Madden is horrible, but NBA 2K10 and MLB The Show 09 commentary is SICK? Am I missing something here? I'm not directing this at you BGeno, but some gamers need to stop settling for less and raise your expectations.

IMO, there is something seriously wrong if a person plays the masterpieces of presentation and gameplay like NFL 2K5 and Madden 04 & 05 on last gen systems and comes over to next-gen and NOT ask for even better.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »