Home

My pet peeve with the challenge system.

This is a discussion on My pet peeve with the challenge system. within the Madden NFL Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen
FIFA 21 Review
Tennis World Tour 2 Review
Doug Flutie's Maximum Football 2020 Review
Poll: Which next-gen console are you going to purchase? (Click to vote)

Old 10-17-2009, 02:22 PM   #1
MVP

nuckles2k2's Arena

OVR: 13
My pet peeve with the challenge system.

I see a lot of people asking for Madden to give us options when it comes to challenging plays (nothing wrong with options right?) and then they always add in "like in 2K5." But I think their efforts are kind of misguided.

While giving us the option to challenge different aspects of one play wouldn't hurt...that's not the problem with Madden's challenge system. The system in the game is just broken all together.

If you're playing a game of Madden...and your opponent's receiver catches the ball on the sidelines and he's ruled inbounds when he was clearly out, you're going to challenge, correct? And when you challenge the play the refs for some odd reason are going to review the spot where the ball was placed only, and not the catch itself...well that's the problem. Refs are responsible for reviewing the entire play and just getting it right:

Quote:
Once a play has been challenged, the entire play is open to review. That means that a coach could challenge one particular aspect of a play but the official may see something else that was missed instead.
http://www.ehow.com/facts_4745182_nf...nge-rules.html

So while it might be nice to actually be able to challenge the catch on the sidelines instead of the ball spot; it'd be even nicer if the refs looked at everything in a given play that's reversible.

I know a lot of the folks on here already knows this, but I'm seeing so many people on here harking back to 2K5 and the ability to review individual aspects of a given play when that's not really what we need. We need the current system to actually follow the challenge rule.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-17-2009, 02:39 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: My pet peeve with the challenge system.

Or a way to let the user call the result the challenge. For those of us who want to play fair who could make the call better then us if its really supposed to be a certain way. Ive had time the receiver was out of bounds and the ref questions ball location rather then out or not, like you said.
Old 10-17-2009, 04:01 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 32

I agree with you. This happened to me once. I fumbled it at a crucial point of the game (it was clearly NOT a fumble), and the other team returns the fumble about 20 yards. I challenge because there should not have been a fumble, but instead to ref's decide to challenge the ball spot, the place where the CPU returned it to. Immediately after that, I was thinking can you please implement something like 2K5's challenge system.
Old 10-17-2009, 04:56 PM   #4
Pro

OVR: 10

The worst for me was when my half back fumbled the ball in the open field (he looked like he was down), and the defense scooped it and starting running, but my WR stripped the ball carrier from behind and he fumbled. I did recover the fumble, but I had just gone back 40 yards of the original line of scrimmage. So I want to challenge if my HB was originally down, and of course, the game looks at whether the defender who intercepted the ball was down.

I'd also like to see a system where we can challenge whether the ball hit the ground or not in catches.
Old 10-17-2009, 05:22 PM   #5
MVP

gr18's Arena

OVR: 11

While the entire play thing would be nice,it probably isn't so easy to do.Being able to pick a certain thing like 2k's challenge system would be easier and certainly a huge upgrade.Let's just go from what now is bad to a level that was acheived 5 years ago first.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-17-2009, 05:58 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 36

The worst thing is when they don't allow me to challenge something that is allowed to be challenged. Sometimes there's a fumble and I can't challenge. I hadn't challenged at all in the game yet so why can't I challenge? It's not in the 2 minute warning either.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »