Home

When you absolutely know the screen is coming, what defensive play do you call?

This is a discussion on When you absolutely know the screen is coming, what defensive play do you call? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-18-2009, 02:30 PM   #9
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: When you absolutely know the screen is coming, what defensive play do you call?

Zone perhaps.

The screen tries to invite the blitz so that's out. Man coverage might get rubbed/run off by the dummy WR routes.

I would try some kind of short zone. Something with the flats covered and maybe a mid hook zone behind it from an LB or two as well.

Also, shift the DL to the direction you think the screen is going and have them crash in that direction as well. Hopefully, that would keep them from being baited down by the gap created by the flowing OL and get the DL to flow in the same direction and maybe get penetration.
Old 10-18-2009, 03:57 PM   #10
Pro

wisdom less13's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: When you absolutely know the screen is coming, what defensive play do you call?

I tend to use a cover 2 blitz up the middle. When the linemen pull you can sometimes blast the qb. And you have the guy covering the flat.

Franchise Mode Enthusiast.
Watch Me Suck at video games...
Old 10-18-2009, 04:44 PM   #11
Banned

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
Zone perhaps.

The screen tries to invite the blitz so that's out. Man coverage might get rubbed/run off by the dummy WR routes.

I would try some kind of short zone. Something with the flats covered and maybe a mid hook zone behind it from an LB or two as well.

Also, shift the DL to the direction you think the screen is going and have them crash in that direction as well. Hopefully, that would keep them from being baited down by the gap created by the flowing OL and get the DL to flow in the same direction and maybe get penetration.
This, always.

a Nickel Zone owns any type of screen.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-18-2009, 05:14 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 5

How do you tell when the screen is coming?
Old 10-18-2009, 05:15 PM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 4

Thanks to Madden 09, which the screen passes were always abused, it helps me recognize when the play is called today. The 46 linebacker contain is a good play to stop screens. But now I just use whatever play and user control my defensive ends for the hb screens, and user control my olbs for wr screens. When they sub a speedy hb for 3rd down plays in a shotgun formation, thats usually a dead giveaway to cover the hb for the potential screen. If you see a 3 or 5 receiver set on 3rd and long, I play it safe and assign one of my olb's to cover the flats.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »