Home

Over the Shoulder Catches(At the worst times)

This is a discussion on Over the Shoulder Catches(At the worst times) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-18-2009, 11:12 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Over the Shoulder Catches(At the worst times)

These over the shoulder catch animations are happening way too often. I play as the Pats and throw to Welker on swing routes a lot and instead of facing Brady in the flat to catch the ball, he does this obsurd over the shoulder catch animation that is totally unrealistic. Also on fades receivers never turn and face the qb when the ball is in the air but instead try to jump and catch it over their shoulder. People flamed the rocket catch but it was a far more realistic animation for receivers like Moss and Fitzgerald who rely on jumping a lot. Just curious if anyone has see this problem as well.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-18-2009, 11:24 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 10
Re: Over the Shoulder Catches(At the worst times)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidMarine
These over the shoulder catch animations are happening way too often. I play as the Pats and throw to Welker on swing routes a lot and instead of facing Brady in the flat to catch the ball, he does this obsurd over the shoulder catch animation that is totally unrealistic. Also on fades receivers never turn and face the qb when the ball is in the air but instead try to jump and catch it over their shoulder. People flamed the rocket catch but it was a far more realistic animation for receivers like Moss and Fitzgerald who rely on jumping a lot. Just curious if anyone has see this problem as well.
The dreaded spin catch is to madden 09 as the over used over the shoulder catch is to madden 10. Typical of EA, they take out a stupid animation which is great, but then they flubb it all up by replacing it with another stupid animation.
Old 10-18-2009, 12:36 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 24

I dunno, I kinda like them. The spin catch was the worst,(esp. the jump and spin catch!!!!) but this one at least LOOKS realistic. I may not see it on every pass play on Sundays, but I do see them.

Guess I'm in the minority on this one......
Old 10-18-2009, 12:39 PM   #4
Pro

OVR: 11

This dumb animation looks nice sometimes but usually, it results in a pick because it means they didn't fight for the ball, and the DB just jumps up and snags it.
Old 10-18-2009, 02:09 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Segagendude
I dunno, I kinda like them. The spin catch was the worst,(esp. the jump and spin catch!!!!) but this one at least LOOKS realistic. I may not see it on every pass play on Sundays, but I do see them.

Guess I'm in the minority on this one......
That's the problem I have with the animation. It happens all the damn time. If it only happened when the receiver was catching a pass that was thrown over his shoulder, it'd be fine. For some reason, Ian thought it was a brillant idea to trigger that animation during bullet passes down the middle of the field and on passes to the RB out of the flats.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-18-2009, 02:58 PM   #6
MVP

MelMan1486's Arena

OVR: 12

I don't think it's the fact that it happens to much I think it's that that's the ONLY animation they have (or is triggered) for an over the shoulder catch. they need more variety, the more over the shoulder catch animations they have the more realistic they could make it, because that ONE catch animation looks good in certain situations and horrible in others.
Old 10-18-2009, 05:12 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 9

ea should make the catch animation based on the player position like in a fade route the over the shoulder catch should not be used in that situation and the player should go up for the catch animation so the catch animation should be based on the passing play and the positioning of the player.
Old 10-18-2009, 05:48 PM   #8
Rookie

Imaking332's Arena

OVR: 5

What happened to the catch animations they had on the PS2? They were not perfect but better and less repetitive than the catches they have now.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »