Home

Do you play the first season of your franchise realistically?

This is a discussion on Do you play the first season of your franchise realistically? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-18-2009, 06:21 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: Do you play the first season of your franchise realistically?

I try my best to mimic the 1st season as far as it happens IRL (trades, suspensions, etc.). After that I treat the team as if I'm the owner...I look for the weaknesses and strengths. I tend to go for teams that I can rebuild like St. Louis, KC, Tampa Bay, you get the idea.
Old 10-18-2009, 06:29 PM   #10
MVP

InspectahDeck's Arena

OVR: 18

I played my first season as realistic as possible. I took the Jets and I didn't make any trades. I didn't sign any high priced free agents. I went 15-2 on the season. All my games were really close my only loss during the regular season was a game that I got pounded by the Saints. I lost Sanchez for about 4-5 games. He got back the game before the playoffs started. I almost lost a couple other times won a game in OT against Oakland. I lost my playoff game to the Titans on a FG as time ran out. Sheppard and Leonard dropped INTS on the final drive that would have won me the game.

I went into the draft wanting more play makers for Sanchez. I was lucky and Dez Bryant fell to me with my first pick. My second pick I took Dennis Pitta to pair with Keller who had a great first season. The rest of the draft went as follows. OLB Keenan Clayton, DE George Selvie, CB Anthony Wiseman, OG Andy Kuempel and QB Colt McCoy.

In free agency I didn't go crazy making any big signings. These are the players I added.

QB Josh Johnson
LT Barry Sims
C Edwin Williams
RT Jon Jansen
LE Henry Melton
RE Mark Anderson
DT Tank Tyler
CB Tye Hill
FS Dwight Smith
SS Pat Watkins
K Matt Prater
P Jon Ryan

Early scouting for next years draft looks like a 1st round HB is in order to replace Thomas Jones. Roy Helu, Cody Johnson, Joe McKnight, DJ Harper, Darren Evans, Kendall Hunter, Demarco Murray, Noel Devine, Jacquizz Rodgers and Graig Cooper all in the draft.

Old 10-18-2009, 07:46 PM   #11
Rookie

cmcghs's Arena

OVR: 6

Henry Melton went to my high school
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-18-2009, 07:49 PM   #12
Pro

billyboy316's Arena

OVR: 7

I usually simulate the first season and build through the draft. I don't really pick up any players in the Free Agency because they cost way too much.

Depending on where my team finished and who is in the draft, I will more than likely trade out of the 1st round for more picks. The reason I do that is because 1st rounders demand way too much money and I can find some really talented players in the later rounds.
Old 10-18-2009, 07:58 PM   #13
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoncold32
Do you play the first year like the current real NFL season, or do you immediately start revamping, especially if your using a team that needs alot of help?
As Oakland, I start the rebuilding ASAP, as that's what they need to do imo.

I try to get rid of Warren and his contract. I mean, really, they actually gave him that contract?

I don't trade Russell, as much I as want to be so rid of him.

I also try to trade Fargas (though the AI usually doesn't want him).

I usually trade for picks more than anything else, though I'll look for guys who are weak but have A or B potential. There's a DT that's got 65 OVR but A pot. Gooden on the Ravens is like that as well at MLB.

I don't trade for guys like Harvin, Curry, or my favorite LB in the game, Ernie Sims - even though I'd love to have them on Oakland.

I keep Seymour and Ellis. Asmougha of course and Chris Johnson.

The guys I deal for picks, or just outright cut, I replace from the FA pool. I sort by POT (yeah, I know, not "sim" but I know most of them anyway at this point) and take the young ones to 2-4 year contracts.

I haven't gotten to year two because I keep restarting with the roster updates, though I might just go ahead after this week unless there's major player additions (I don't care too much about the ratings changes)

With the Ravens, I don't do a lot. The biggest things they need are DBs that have a clue (that means you Mr. 41 rated OVR CB that got burnt up and down the field all day this week) and WR that aren't slow as LBs (yah, you Mr. Washington), and those guys are kinda hard to find in "sim" kind of trades.

So I cut Mr. Burnt and probably one other guy. I picked up a rookie CB (Mickens, I think...) and some WR.

Last edited by KBLover; 10-18-2009 at 08:02 PM.
Old 10-18-2009, 08:09 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 6

I got rid of Javon Walker and signed up Marvin Harrison. And I traded a someone((forgot who)) and 3rd rounder for Adam Synder RT and 4th and 5th rounder.
Old 10-18-2009, 08:12 PM   #15
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaRYder226
I got rid of Javon Walker and signed up Marvin Harrison. And I traded a someone((forgot who)) and 3rd rounder for Adam Synder RT and 4th and 5th rounder.

Oh yeah, him too.

Geez. These contracts...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-18-2009, 10:12 PM   #16
MVP

Hova57's Arena

OVR: 31

i used to but got bored quick. i did stumble into a really quick running back monkeyin around, anton smith from fsu is a beast he is my return guy and fourth running back. when i put him in he gets good yardage. debating to trade westbrook and keep him and shady. i created to linebackers but they get no love in pass rush for madden

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »