Home

3-4 vs 4-3...Differences and Explanation of Positions!!!

This is a discussion on 3-4 vs 4-3...Differences and Explanation of Positions!!! within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-17-2009, 08:58 PM   #1
Rookie

z ROCKnROLLA z's Arena

OVR: 13
3-4 vs 4-3...Differences and Explanation of Positions!!!

Hey Guy's its me again...This thread is based on the question posed by DevilRayn, some people may know me for posting helpful and informative threads as I try share my knowledge of football to those who don't know much about the sport, all in aid of helping to spread the love of the game!!!

The question by DevilRayn...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilRayn
I'm relatively new to football and madden. I've played since madden 08 and love to play madden 10 currently. But im still very knowledgeable. I have some questions like what does a 3-4 and a 4-3 Defense mean? is it 3 linemen 4 linebackers? cause thats what i currently believe it to be. and if so what are the advantages of them and are there other styles of defense?

-Thanks, Rayn
The difference's between the 2 defenses!!!

Lets start with the 4-3 D!!!

The 4-3 has 4 defensive line men and 3 linebackers, 2 big boy DT's[Defensive Tackles] and 2 DE's[Defensive Ends]. Their job is to try and get as much pressure on the QB as possible, especially if the linebackers don't blitz!!!

Defensive Ends!!

DE's play from a 3 point stance so must always have 1 hand on the ground.
Apposing teams normally rush the TE's side known as "The Strong side"
so the LDE[Left Defensive End] known as the "Base End", needs to be Strong and solid against the rush.
The RDE[Right Defensive End] should be the faster of the 2 DE's and normally the Better of the 2 players, He is referred to as the "Rush End" he can create enormous pressure from the "Weak side" using his speed.

Linebackers

ROLB is also known as the WLB "Weak side Linebacker" this player must be versatile, he has freedom to follow the ball and has a lot of space to cover, so must have a good range of skills!!

MLB is known as the MLB "Middle Linebacker" this guy plays in the middle of the field, his job is to cover the run and also also watch what the QB is doing, they are the most skilled players out of all Linebackers!!

LOLB is also known as the SLB "Strong side Linebacker" he lines up against the TE, often covering the TE and providing the LE with support if the apposing team decides to run the ball!!

LOLB-SLB, are normally the biggest out of all Linebackers!!

The 3-4 D!!!

The 3-4 will have 3 defensive lineman 2 DE's and 1 DT, normally their main job is to protect their LB's[Linebackers] from the run!!
All 3 defensive lineman have 2 gaps to fill and watch for the run!!
LE has to watch the gaps between TE and RT, RT and RG.
DT also know as the "Nose Tackle" will cover the gaps between RG and C, C and LG
RE watches the gap between LG and LT and will also cover the "weak side"

OLB's are the main pass rush threat for the D, and on almost every play you will get at least 1 OLB to rush the QB!!!
OLB must be good in coverage and have very good pass rush skills. They need to apply pressure against the pass if they don't then the D will have no pressure against the pass!!

DT/NT is probably the hardest position to play on D. He needs to be durable have good stamina, physical and mental toughness, and probably most important, size!!!Not only is he gonna be double and triple teamed, he needs to watch his gaps for the run, so he needs to hold his own in a lot of areas.

ILB's[Inside Linebackers] need to be strong in run support and need to back up the DL who need to cover 5 guys in the offensive line.
So they need to hold their own and shed their blockers if the Offense decide to run the ball.

Summary.

There are huge differences in both D scheme's and for me I don't really have a favourite.
I will play a certain D playbook depending out what personal my team has!!
3-4 D will have to have bigger players at LB positions, bigger than 4-3 LB's as, 3-4 LB's need to deal with big boy offensive line players!!

4-3 has the advantage of creating pressure on the QB from the line, freeing up the LB's in certain area's!!!

3-4 has the advantage of the fact that the apposing OL do not know who to block prior to the snap, as the pass rush can come form any area.
For me its harder to read a 3-4 D than it is a 4-3 D, I am not saying 3-4 D is better, I can use both D's so I don't really have a favourite!!

If you have anything to add feel free, I intend for this post to help people understand the differences between the 2 D's and help them decide what scheme to play.

I hope this help's!!!

Cheers guys!!!

Last edited by z ROCKnROLLA z; 10-18-2009 at 08:16 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-17-2009, 09:20 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: 3-4 vs 4-3...Differences and Explanation of Positions!!!

Other names for the LBs in the 4-3 scheme:

Will = Weak side linebacker
Mike = Middle linebacker
Sam = Strong side linebacker.

A few of the plays in Madden are named with this terminology. So if you see a play called "Mike Blitz" you know that's the MLB coming with pressure even before looking at the play art.

For me, I'm a 3-4 lover because I love linebackers. I love the flexibility they have to create angles either on blitz pressure, zone coverage (easier to get to the flats sometimes) and pursuit.

You need really good LBs, though. Active, smart, and durable. They have a LOT of responsibilities, including taking on OL head on if need be. In the 4-3, the LBs are more for gap control instead of all out attacking. 3-4 is nothing but attacking except in the most zone coverage schemes.

A pair of good DEs helps in both schemes, but in the 3-4, it can still give your line sting. They can be fast guys to get around the edge or DT-like guys that can rip and bull rush like a DT or act as a "2nd NT".

The Ravens in the game have a good example of this - Ngata is the DT-like guy while Pryce is best used with an outside rush to try to beat his one man (the OT) and get to the QB.
Old 10-17-2009, 09:22 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 5

Pretty useless info in Madden terms... you should actually send this to EA because they've still failed to properly implement the 3-4 into Madden.

The lack of double/triple teaming is precisely why the 3-4 scheme is consistently more problematic to implement than the 4-3.
Old 10-17-2009, 09:26 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poetique
Pretty useless info in Madden terms... you should actually send this to EA because they've still failed to properly implement the 3-4 into Madden.

The lack of double/triple teaming is precisely why the 3-4 scheme is consistently more problematic to implement than the 4-3.
*sigh*

Sad but true.

Even tried getting a 99 OVR DT and he still can't get 2-3 guys having to contain him. Or guys like Peko and his insane BSH rating. At best, it's one guy then he's passed off to another OL, leaving the first OL free (when both should be engaged or the first guy beat out right requiring help behind the LOS.

Of course, using the 3-4 in Madden means you need REALLY good LBs. I wouldn't even try it unless you have OLBs like Sims, Merriman, Woodley, Curry, high speed very active guys that can flow while having the quickness to be deadly on blitzes. Even if the NT doesn't work right, hard to stop 2 LBs and a good DE on an overload blitz with just 2 OL.

Last edited by KBLover; 10-17-2009 at 09:29 PM.
Old 10-17-2009, 09:35 PM   #5
Rookie

z ROCKnROLLA z's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
*sigh*

Sad but true.

Even tried getting a 99 OVR DT and he still can't get 2-3 guys having to contain him. Or guys like Peko and his insane BSH rating. At best, it's one guy then he's passed off to another OL, leaving the first OL free (when both should be engaged or the first guy beat out right requiring help behind the LOS.

Of course, using the 3-4 in Madden means you need REALLY good LBs. I wouldn't even try it unless you have OLBs like Sims, Merriman, Woodley, Curry, high speed very active guys that can flow while having the quickness to be deadly on blitzes. Even if the NT doesn't work right, hard to stop 2 LBs and a good DE on an overload blitz with just 2 OL.
Very true!!! MY new Jets franchise is stacked with speed in all positions on offense and D!!!

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-17-2009, 09:48 PM   #6
Rookie

z ROCKnROLLA z's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poetique

Yeah well I'm past complaining about this game and I'm making the most of it and working on sliders that actually make a decent game.

I can understand your frustrations as most people are.

I really hope madden in its final year of it NFL contract give us a decent game with no issues.

This post was intended to help people that don't know anything about the D schemes and positions, I don't want it to turn into another thread about how bad madden is!!!

Old 10-17-2009, 10:06 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 5

I feel ya... too bad it almost seems like some of the sliders don't even do anything... the set I'm using now is the best I've managed to concoct, and I still occasionally (more like frequently... probably 1/3 games) have a ridiculously insane game (winning by 50+ points insane...)

Also, here's a thread I made a long time ago about the 3-4... on the off chance EA ever reads it, you might want to add your information there

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...-4-scheme.html
Old 10-17-2009, 10:26 PM   #8
Rookie

Landonio's Arena

OVR: 2

Why are you so excited!!!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »