Home

Realistic or not? Need some opinions.

This is a discussion on Realistic or not? Need some opinions. within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-21-2009, 12:50 AM   #17
MVP

Tyrant8RDFL's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Realistic or not? Need some opinions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
Doing things outside the norm is also "sim". Wildcat anyone, or should Goddell ban it because it's "cheese"? Running with Vick so much he gets 1000 yds back when Vick was the Falcons?

Some coaches blitz more than most "normal" coaches. LeBeau and Jim Johnson (RIP) come to mind.

Belichek played Troy Brown at CB one year. If that happened in Madden, even if someone got freak injury luck and lost their starting CBs, I bet it would be cries of "Cheese!" heard all over.

You play to win the game. While exploiting AI glitches is one thing, confusing and surprising your opponent is part of being a "sim" style coach. It's more than "don't call this unless XYZ".

To me, being a "sim" coach is weighing the options of the situation and if you take a risk, have sufficient reward for doing so while also having a logical decision for doing so in case it fails.

That's just smart coaching, which is "sim".
what your saying is fine for the real world, but when your on a online league with other humans emotions get involved and if you want to use what your saying to play in a league . Trust me you will run into problems cause players are sore losers. Whether your right, its just a whole other ball game with online leagues.

How things go in the NFL doesn't always translate well in online leagues. Anyone that has ran a online league knows exactly what I'm talking about.

The kid was not in the wrong totally for what he did , but as you can see the results of his decision has caused a problem to the point where he needs us to tell him if he was right or wrong for doing it. Now if you know you are right then you do not need anyone to tell you anything.

Keep in mind we are talking about a ONLINE LEAGUE, not a real life NFL game.

You keep mentioning real life scenarios. Its not the same.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:42 AM   #18
Rookie

harriman8's Arena

OVR: 1
Talking Re: Realistic or not? Need some opinions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrant8RDFL
what your saying is fine for the real world, but when your on a online league with other humans emotions get involved and if you want to use what your saying to play in a league . Trust me you will run into problems cause players are sore losers. Whether your right, its just a whole other ball game with online leagues.

How things go in the NFL doesn't always translate well in online leagues. Anyone that has ran a online league knows exactly what I'm talking about.

The kid was not in the wrong totally for what he did , but as you can see the results of his decision has caused a problem to the point where he needs us to tell him if he was right or wrong for doing it. Now if you know you are right then you do not need anyone to tell you anything.

Keep in mind we are talking about a ONLINE LEAGUE, not a real life NFL game.

You keep mentioning real life scenarios. Its not the same.
While it may not be the same aren't we all looking for as real a simulation as we can find in an online league? I didn't run some play that is successful 99% of the time on 4th and 3. I called a fake punt based on his coaching tendency to leave my gunners uncovered. I agree that taking advantage of things we as the player can't control such as programming bugs and AI deficiencies should be against the rules in SIM leagues but I don't see this as that.

If we are going to outlaw everything that might hurt someone's feeling in a game then maybe EA should make youth league football where no score is kept and everyone just plays to have fun and everyone feels good about themselves.

FYI the Titans owner admitted that he was wrong and has come back to the league. Sometimes the heat of the moment clouds decisions. I'm sure given his season long success he expected to be able to move the ball much better that he was able to and that added to the frustration. The fake punt call was just an excuse to quit rather than saying he was quitting because he couldn't move the ball.

Thanks for the opinions.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:33 AM   #19
MVP

Tyrant8RDFL's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Realistic or not? Need some opinions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harriman8
While it may not be the same aren't we all looking for as real a simulation as we can find in an online league? I didn't run some play that is successful 99% of the time on 4th and 3. I called a fake punt based on his coaching tendency to leave my gunners uncovered. I agree that taking advantage of things we as the player can't control such as programming bugs and AI deficiencies should be against the rules in SIM leagues but I don't see this as that.

If we are going to outlaw everything that might hurt someone's feeling in a game then maybe EA should make youth league football where no score is kept and everyone just plays to have fun and everyone feels good about themselves.

FYI the Titans owner admitted that he was wrong and has come back to the league. Sometimes the heat of the moment clouds decisions. I'm sure given his season long success he expected to be able to move the ball much better that he was able to and that added to the frustration. The fake punt call was just an excuse to quit rather than saying he was quitting because he couldn't move the ball.

Thanks for the opinions.
Your right we are looking for a sim experience in a online league, and like I stated you did nothing wrong. I'm saying that I would not have done it simply because how things turn out when you do something in that manner.

Some players take this way to serious and lose site on certain things. Like the obvious reason why they are losing. Which happened in your case.

I'm sure from this experience you are going to approach it a little differently next time.
Especially when you play him again.

You are in a 3 man league and a problem rose from this. Just a small 3 man league. Now Imagine a league with just 10 players or more. It's a headache on how players claim someone cheese them.

I'm just speaking from experience when playing in a online league. Have a small hand full of simple rules, nothing crazy, and don't do anything outside of the norm.

When I ran a league here is a simple set of rules I had for 4th down and I never received any problems on this scenario because of it.

4TH DOWN RULES
If You have the ball at your opponets 40 yrd line you can go for it at anytime during the game.

Now between the 50 yrd line and your opponents 41 yrd line. You can go for it if it is 1yrd or less anytime during the game.

Now if you are down by 17pts in the game within the 1st 3 qtrs you can go for it anywhere on the field.

At the start of the 4th qtr if you are down by 10pts or more you can go for it on 4th down anywhere on the field.

Now at the 5minute mark of the 4th qtr and only if your losing by any margin you can go for it on 4th down anywhere on the field.

With this layout it pretty much told both players when they can go on 4th down , and when to be aware on defense,so if someone ran a fake punt it wasn't a issue because they did when it was ok to do so and that eliminated all arguments.

Anyway Congrats on your win . You definitely sound like a sim player, and good luck in your next season.

Take care

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »