Home

Can't Hit the deep ball? Try this.

This is a discussion on Can't Hit the deep ball? Try this. within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-24-2009, 11:02 AM   #25
MVP

jr86's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: Can't Hit the deep ball? Try this.

Well what has helped for me anyway is using CD Webbs sliders. There is definite seperation there (at last) and it is actually possible to hit the streak down the sideline and actually have a few steps on the db.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-24-2009, 01:11 PM   #26
Rookie

OVR: 4

Some of the comments people leave makes me think of the show tool academy. And how is throwing to Moss considered cheese. I guess any time some one finds a play that works is considered cheese these days. User catching is a must on all pass plays. And user plays on d is a must as well. You will be much happier with the games outcome if you can master both. Playing your own d, instead of counting on your a.i, will win you a lot of games.
Old 10-24-2009, 03:40 PM   #27
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLFanSince1979
Some of the comments people leave makes me think of the show tool academy. And how is throwing to Moss considered cheese. I guess any time some one finds a play that works is considered cheese these days. User catching is a must on all pass plays. And user plays on d is a must as well. You will be much happier with the games outcome if you can master both. Playing your own d, instead of counting on your a.i, will win you a lot of games.
So what your saying is we have to actually play the game and not let the CPU play the game for us. Yeah I like that.
Old 10-24-2009, 06:07 PM   #28
MVP

OVR: 55

I threw a gorgeous skinny post 30 yard TD in a game today against cover 1 that went right over a zoned LB... it was awesome! I need to check out usering deep balls against zone D......

M - I - N - N - E - S - O - T - A
Old 10-24-2009, 09:21 PM   #29
Banned

OVR: 13

The big thing about the deep ball that bothers me is that if you have Moss, or Fitzgerald you should not have to "user catch". Those guys are elite WRs and they should really go after the ball! ON THEIR OWN!!! Otherwise any WR with speed and a good stick skill player is just as dangerous as Moss!

I thought EA was touting that the guys would play like their real-life counterparts! I can complete the deep ball with some regularity because I read defenses fairly quickly and I know where the holes are and I spent a lot of time practicing the timing! I drafted some kid in the 7th rd (M10 generated class) with 97 spd, 97 SPC and 99 AGI 99 ACC and I can get the ball to him deep but the input you give the controller never gives you the same results (I mean based on Tap/Press/Hold the button) - which is just stupid.

See people complained about the deep ball being too easy, so EA destroyed it - rather than making the DBs play the ball or WRs better they just made it impossible to reproduce any jump catch animations with any consistency! Take more control away from the gamer rather than fix the way the AI handles situations. And the speed thing kills me cuz that WR I drafted could be matched with a 81 spd CB or a 93 Spd CB and the defender is almost always in the same position - which makes no sense what so ever. The thing it really kills is the usefullness of playing off coverage - no one does cuz there is no need to even if your CB is giving up 10 pts of Spd to the WR!!! So you basically nullify part of the chess match!!!!
Old 10-24-2009, 09:35 PM   #30
MVP

OVR: 36

Thanks for the idea man. I was starting to get kinda mad that I could never get a deep ball other than in the slot. Now I can get almost one a game. Infact I just lit up Tampa Bay with two straight deep balls with T.O. Now against the Pats it was a different story. They shut me down, but least it is possible.

Btw Go Huskies!! Can't wait for Kemba, Dyson, and Styx to light it up this year.
Old 10-24-2009, 10:43 PM   #31
Rookie

OVR: 0

A lot of people don't realize that the deep ball isn't and isn't supposed to be constantly used. It has to be set up. If I'm playing the cpu than I try to establish the run and if I do there are a few times where a safety will be put in the box leaving that sideline deep ball vulnerable in man to man coverage and I can hit a 40+ yard pass that way. Against a human, I believe I can get the running game going if they don't completely stack the box and if they do, I pass out of a 2 WR set when they are predicting a run.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-25-2009, 05:18 AM   #32
Rookie

OVR: 1

After a game I played a couple days ago I realized I really need to practice my deep ball user catching.

I was playing as the Cowboys against a dude that had the Packers. He wasn't really going deep at all throughout the game, but on one play I was running a cover 3 and I was manually controlling Hamlin patrolling the deep middle. There was no one deep in the middle of the field so I was playing kind of shallow. This left Jordy Nelson one on one with Terrance Newman deep into the end zone. I'm very very good at userpicking but somehow this dude got in the perfect position in front of Newman to make the usercatch making it impossible for me to pick it off which 9/10 times would've been my ball. He had the perfect angle/height combination to block out Newman for the ball. I really need to practice that type of play so I can use it myself. I usually only go for usercatches maybe 25% of the time depending on what the route and DB position is looking like.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »