Home

Why is there a lag in Online Madden?

This is a discussion on Why is there a lag in Online Madden? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-27-2009, 03:33 AM   #9
Banned

OVR: 4
Re: Why is there a lag in Online Madden?

You're right, Im using the wrong word, I don't know correct term for it but it can be described as a delay in response to the controller. You notice the difference when the opponent quits the game, scrolling through the plays and menus is smooth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bang911
Lag isn't the right word, because the connection to the opponent is usually perfect.

The issue is that online has a built in delay with every action. It is one of the worst parts of online Madden, the controller delay makes online and offline have much different timing.
Old 10-27-2009, 03:38 AM   #10
Pro

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLateralLine
You're right, Im using the wrong word, I don't know correct term for it but it can be described as a delay in response to the controller. You notice the difference when the opponent quits the game, scrolling through the plays and menus is smooth.
That is the perfect example of the issue you brought up.

I would love to test it and see how much of a delay there truly is. I know that in games like Guitar Hero/Rock Band even 20 milliseconds can really throw you off.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:08 AM   #11
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exonerated
Madden does not have dedicated servers.

And anyways, the latency of each game depends on the ping of the two players, and their respective connections.

Its simple. THe closer you live to your opponent, and the better each of your connections, the less "laggy" your game will be.
Exactly. Dedicated servers would allow for better connections, and, most importantly, when connecting to the dedicated servers, this is where EA should be doing the majority of their online advertising, much like Blizzard does with their Battle.net. EA seems to be focusing more on how to get more $$$ than how to do it right, utilizing industry best practices. I don't for a minute believe that overlay Ad that I so much dislike was an idea of the development team.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-27-2009, 09:37 AM   #12
All Star

OVR: 33

FIFA and NHL have dedicated servers. Why not madden?

The number of users on FIFA dwarfs the players on Madden. Pony up the cash boys.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:12 PM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLateralLine
No one gets lag in playing other games such as Halo, GoW, etc but in ONline Madden since it came on the next gen, the menus and general movement is slightly slower online. Why is that? It's annoying as hell

As somebody who has competed in Halo tournaments for nearly 4 years now, all I can say is LOLOLOLOLOLOL.

Every game you play on XBL is full of lag... nothing anybody can do about it except buy the best internet possible.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »