Home

Assistance with 'Created Team' franchise

This is a discussion on Assistance with 'Created Team' franchise within the Madden NFL Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen
FIFA 21 Review
Tennis World Tour 2 Review
Doug Flutie's Maximum Football 2020 Review
Poll: Which next-gen console are you going to purchase? (Click to vote)

Old 10-24-2009, 04:37 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Assistance with 'Created Team' franchise

Greetings All,

I have a couple of questions regarding a solo franchise I am playing using a created team (The Brownsville Bonecrushers - lol). It's a team made up entirely of rookies (using the 'cupcake' team setting), so they players are generally pretty awful. I think the overall rating of the team has recently increased to 67. The intent was to begin a team terribly and then slowly build them into a decent club.

1) I've noticed that, using 5 minute quarters my stats are way below others in the league. My QB rating is good, but all cumulative stats (yards, receptions, tackles, sacks, etc) are quite low. I read that progression is based on performance, which I take to mean stats and I am worried about screwing up my team's progression by playing 5 minute quarters? Is this something I should be worried about, or will the game take 5 minute quarters into account?

2) Until my players progress, I need a bend-but-don't-break defense –preferably zone as my CBs cannot contain a decent WR– to hold offenses to small gains and occasionally pick a pass or force a fumble. I am using the PIT playbook for defense simply because I am familiar with it and have found one play that will do what I really want to: It's a 3-4 (under) with 2 deep safeties, a blanket of five zones about 10 yards deep, and a single blitzing LB. I can literally run this play the whole game against the defense and do very well: Short gains, decent pressure, and a pick/game. But... Yawn. Can anyone provide some advice for a little more variety without giving up the tight zone coverage?

Thanks!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-24-2009, 05:58 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 15
Re: Assistance with 'Created Team' franchise

It sounds like the first problem is you're playing with five minute quarters. If you want to get a realistic number of plays in 12 minutes with 15 seconds Accelerated Clock run off or no 9 minutes with no accelerated clock works best. Don't quote me on this, but I hear progression is very minimally performance based. The biggest factors are youth and the potential rating itself.

Pittsburgh's nickel 2-4-5 nickel package has a lot of conservative cover 2 zone plays. The 1-5-5 formation tends to confuse the crap out of the CPU. I believe there's a play in the 3-4 normal formation called 2 Deep MLB Spy. What I like to do is to choose that play and hot route blitz the spy.

I have a question for you, though. I've been considering rebuilding a cupcake squad but would like to know what the potential ratings for your starters are. I tried rebuilding a balanced created team but it seemed sort of pointless since every starter had A potential.
Old 10-24-2009, 09:21 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0

Thanks for the tips, Mcgraw. I'll set my quarters to 9 and see how that works. I want to stick close to one hour gaming time, though, so I can squeeze in a midday game! Maybe I'll do a hurry up offense with no runoff at 7 minutes and see how that works. I'll check out those defensive plays, too. I think I have the 1-5-5 in the Pit book.

I was pretty impressed with the team, really. Most players were predictably awful, but it came with a great O-Line (70+ rating starters, 65+ backups), and a couple of decent halfbacks. The best player on the team was a 78 rated TE (6'7" too, doing great with high bullet passes). Potentials were mixed pretty evenly. The A-rated players were almost universally rated lower than those with lesser potential. I've done well using short passes mixed with end-arounds and the odd inside FB run (Run n Gun).

Last edited by Freep; 10-24-2009 at 09:26 PM.
Old 10-25-2009, 02:05 AM   #4
Rookie

mngophers21's Arena

OVR: 3

15 minute quarters with 25 second runoff gets pretty realistic stats with about an hour gametime.

I love doing cupcake teams, and I suggest you just use the base 4-3 defensive playbook.
Old 10-25-2009, 02:14 AM   #5
All Star

Deuce2223's Arena

OVR: 22

I started with the upcake team, replacing the Rams and starting my franchise in Las Vegas. I do really like the fact that my O-line is young and has good potential. But I traded my young QB to Minnesota for T. Jackson and a 3rd round pick. Figure this gives the Vikings a future QB to replace Farve and gives me a guy with some mobility to work with my young line. I also traded the highly rated TE to Texas for J. Casey who is only a 71 but has A potential and alot better speed picking up a 3rd round pick there as well. I then loaded up with 1yr contracts on high priced FA like J. Garcia(QB) Deuce McAllister(RB) traded some other players to KC for Jamal Charles(like his speed alot), signed M. Harrison,R. Curry and DJack for vetern WR. and D. Brooks,Boss Bailey Z. Thomas to upgrade my LB and C. McAllister and R. Hood for my shutdown corners.

I play 8 min quarters. I don't get quit the RB stats I would like from the CPU, but I havn't really messed with adjusting sliders yet..

1st year I went 1-15. Jackson threw for 2400 yards 20 TD/18 INT. Deuce ran for 950 yrds, Casey led my team in receptions, yards(800) and TDs(7) My defense was horrid, so like you I am looking to make some major changes.

I do very well finding LB's and FS/SS in the draft late who come in very highly rated and great potential (use EA made up drafts) also find WR and RB late as well, so I spent my #1 Overall pick on a Franchise QB who is 6'5 77 Overall with 85 Speed 98 Throwing Power and 88 Accuracy.

I am looking forward to season 2.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-25-2009, 08:44 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 1

i used made a cupcake team to replace the rams also. However before i started i went through and released the players from the rams that i would want. then when i started i signed them as free agents. it gave me some decent players and a couple pieces of trade bait. i still ended up with a young and pretty weak team. which will be fun to build up.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »