Home

Hardcore Playcall=Better Gameplay?

This is a discussion on Hardcore Playcall=Better Gameplay? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-26-2009, 11:45 PM   #25
Fear Me

Kramer5150's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: Hardcore Playcall=Better Gameplay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
Hahaha - you might be right - I have to be reminded the Ravens aren't 6-0 because it sure looks like they should have been, or at least 5-1. *sigh*
I know what you mean there,I could easily see Pitt being 6-0 right now...oh well

Quote:
I think you didn't switch because the Steelers LOVE to blitz so maybe the Steeler part of you liked the constant blitzing
I would buy that 100%...IF I was able to generate the same pressure the cpu does when they "send the house"...lol

Quote:
I'm starting to think it might be a slider thing.
It very well could be....I wouldn't be a bit surprised.
The sliders I'm using may seem to be a bit unorthodox,but I'm getting some really good games,and don't see the need to switch them up.

I was intrigued by a post of yours in the sliders section though,you had mentioned that with pass block @ 0 for the cpu,they were still holding their blocks better that normal....I've noticed this as well,and am currently testing this slider alone,because I have witnessed the same thing.
“I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest – If you can’t take it, you shouldn’t play!” Jack Lambert
Quote:
“Quarterbacks should wear dresses.” Jack Lambert
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-27-2009, 12:08 AM   #26
Hall Of Fame

BlueNGold's Arena

OVR: 41

Ok, I got a game in using Hardcore playcalling. It was my Season 3 opening game in Franchise using the (defending champion ) Chargers against the Lions. Just finished it and I'm pretty surprised. It was different. I ended up winning 24-17 and it was one of the more competitive games I've played. For the first time I didn't feel like I had the win in hand and I actually felt the CPU could legitimately beat me.

Like you said CP, there was many times where the CPU showed blitz only to drop back into zone coverage. I didn't end up throwing an INT because of this but at first it threw me for a loop and it was a nice change of pace. The blitzing overall was much, much better. In the second season of my Franchise I made a killing off those CPU blitzes always leaving the TE open and I ended up putting up 18 TDs on 99 catches with Antonio Gates but this time there were so many plays where the CPU would blitz me and there was actually someone covering the TE. The CPU still did blitz alot but it was at a bit of a reduced rate and the blitzing in general was much smarter. Even though the CPU blitzed they still had a defender on the majority of my receiving options.

There was only 2 things that I didn't like. The first is that there were still those times where you would line up in a 3 or 4 wide set and the defense would come out in a base 4-3. I don't know if this still happens on Hardcore but on Advanced when that would happen I was usually able to Formation Audible into a pass and hit one of those uncovered receivers with an easy pass. I didn't try that in this game though so I don't know if thats still the case.

The other thing was with about 1:40 left in the game the Lions had 4th and about 3 at around midfield. They didn't go for it and punted to me. They did have all 3 timeouts left which maybe factored into the decision but that decision to punt ended up costing them the game because on 1st and 2nd I ran it with Sproles making them use those first 2 timeouts and then on 3rd and 5 I completed a pass for the first down which sealed the game. On the positive side though there was something I hadn't seen before going into halftime. The score was 14-10 for me and the Lions had the ball at their own 10 yard line. There was about 30 seconds left and they had all their timeouts. They ran a run up the middle and let the clock run out without running another play. Before on Advanced there were times in that situation where the CPU would run it, call TO, run it again, call TO and on 3rd down pass it. This didn't happen. Also, I noticed the CPU using the fake snap more and at really smart times as well.

One last thing: I'm ****ing devastated. Early in the 3rd quarter I was backed up in my own end and I ran a run with LT. He got hurt as he has alot in my Franchise but most of the time it was usually a stinger. Well, it was a hell of alot more than a stinger this time. This time it was Broken Vertebrae, Career Ending injury . I'm so pissed right now. I was inching closer and closer to Emmit's records with LT and now that goes out the window and I have to start life after LT about 2 or 3 years earlier than I wanted/expected to. After this game I looked at the record books and these were his stats:

Rushing Yards:
1) Emmitt Smith - 18, 355

4) LaDainian Tomlinson - 14, 278

Rushing TD's:
1) Emmitt Smith - 164

2) LaDainian Tomlinson - 149

I'm debating whether or not I should just turn the game off and restart so the injury never happens but at the same time its not like you can turn off the Xbox in real life and get rid of injuries so I don't know.

Anyways, good find on the Hardcore setting everyone that brought it up.

Last edited by BlueNGold; 10-27-2009 at 12:12 AM.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:32 AM   #27
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowherPower
It very well could be....I wouldn't be a bit surprised.
The sliders I'm using may seem to be a bit unorthodox,but I'm getting some really good games,and don't see the need to switch them up.

I was intrigued by a post of yours in the sliders section though,you had mentioned that with pass block @ 0 for the cpu,they were still holding their blocks better that normal....I've noticed this as well,and am currently testing this slider alone,because I have witnessed the same thing.
Do you have yours posted in the sliders section? I'd like to take a look. Unorthodox is cool and probably what the game needs.

Yeah, I'm starting to think the pass block slider might be reversed for the AI or maybe all the suctioning or whatever happens on high sliders actually hurts the AI. Not sure how...or why...

I'm betting on EA getting it backwards. When you hear hoof beats - think horses, not zebras (Though, I guess if its Giraffes, then I'm screwed LOL)
Old 10-27-2009, 12:58 AM   #28
Fear Me

Kramer5150's Arena

Quote:
Do you have yours posted in the sliders section? I'd like to take a look. Unorthodox is cool and probably what the game needs.

Yeah, I'm starting to think the pass block slider might be reversed for the AI or maybe all the suctioning or whatever happens on high sliders actually hurts the AI. Not sure how...or why...

I'm betting on EA getting it backwards. When you hear hoof beats - think horses, not zebras (Though, I guess if its Giraffes, then I'm screwed LOL)
I haven't posted em' up yet, but I will probably tomorrow night.
What I did was take a mixture of about 3-4 peoples sliders....jumbled em' all up,input the data into the ol' Madden cpu,and took what it spit out to give me my base....I HOPE that made sense

I believe I used ideas from Steeler99 (I think that was his name),DrewBledsoe and Wazzzzzzzup....all had really great ideas,that I used and twisted to come up with what I'm currently using....along with my own tweaks and such,to give it the ol' cowherpower touch,on what I would like to see in the games.

Be warned however...I don't mess with the individual sub sliders or anything,only the fatigue slider,and I do NOT control all 32 teams...but most importantly....under no circumstance do I switch to "make the play"

I either use Harrison or Woodley,and if I'm taken out of the play?...so be it.
Football is the ultimate team sport,and I like for that to be the case (as best as I can) when I play Madden.
“I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest – If you can’t take it, you shouldn’t play!” Jack Lambert
Quote:
Old 10-27-2009, 01:06 AM   #29
Fear Me

Kramer5150's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueNGold
Ok, I got a game in using Hardcore playcalling. It was my Season 3 opening game in Franchise using the (defending champion ) Chargers against the Lions. Just finished it and I'm pretty surprised. It was different. I ended up winning 24-17 and it was one of the more competitive games I've played. For the first time I didn't feel like I had the win in hand and I actually felt the CPU could legitimately beat me.

Like you said CP, there was many times where the CPU showed blitz only to drop back into zone coverage. I didn't end up throwing an INT because of this but at first it threw me for a loop and it was a nice change of pace. The blitzing overall was much, much better. In the second season of my Franchise I made a killing off those CPU blitzes always leaving the TE open and I ended up putting up 18 TDs on 99 catches with Antonio Gates but this time there were so many plays where the CPU would blitz me and there was actually someone covering the TE. The CPU still did blitz alot but it was at a bit of a reduced rate and the blitzing in general was much smarter. Even though the CPU blitzed they still had a defender on the majority of my receiving options.
I'm glad you witnessed pretty much the same things I did when I first switched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueNGold
The other thing was with about 1:40 left in the game the Lions had 4th and about 3 at around midfield. They didn't go for it and punted to me. They did have all 3 timeouts left which maybe factored into the decision but that decision to punt ended up costing them the game because on 1st and 2nd I ran it with Sproles making them use those first 2 timeouts and then on 3rd and 5 I completed a pass for the first down which sealed the game.
I wouldn't worry to much about that to be honest.
I could really see them doing either or in that situation...especially having all 3 to's available.
Had they stopped you on 3rd down and used their last time out forcing the punt...anything could've happened at that point. I don't see anything wrong with relying on your defense....which it sounds like they were doing,and it backfired...that's the Lions for ya
Quote:
Old 10-27-2009, 02:15 AM   #30
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowherPower
I haven't posted em' up yet, but I will probably tomorrow night.
What I did was take a mixture of about 3-4 peoples sliders....jumbled em' all up,input the data into the ol' Madden cpu,and took what it spit out to give me my base....I HOPE that made sense

I believe I used ideas from Steeler99 (I think that was his name),DrewBledsoe and Wazzzzzzzup....all had really great ideas,that I used and twisted to come up with what I'm currently using....along with my own tweaks and such,to give it the ol' cowherpower touch,on what I would like to see in the games.

Be warned however...I don't mess with the individual sub sliders or anything,only the fatigue slider,and I do NOT control all 32 teams...but most importantly....under no circumstance do I switch to "make the play"

I either use Harrison or Woodley,and if I'm taken out of the play?...so be it.
Football is the ultimate team sport,and I like for that to be the case (as best as I can) when I play Madden.

Heh that made sense I've tried/looked at many sliders (even have a spreadsheet of them all as well as what my profiles' sliders currently are).

Sounds like we play similar. I don't switch on defense (though I usually control either the NT or one of the DTs.

I don't control all the teams (another thing people say works like a charm that seems to make no difference for me). I think I have subs sliders I like (based on jukeman's with tweaks to make it potentially tougher on defenses if they have to stay on the field), though I jack my fatigue up to 100 as I want that to be an important part of the game.
Old 10-28-2009, 03:37 PM   #31
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51

The Play Call Style is for your play call style, not the comps. I'm playing on it and see absolutely no difference at all in how the AI plays. It doesn't change the game at all. Here's the quote from the in menu explanation (since there's none at the launch screen).

This is quoted verbatim.

Quote:
Play Call Style
Select the way you want to call plays. Beginner selects the plays for you. Intermediate gives you the choice of run, pass, and kick. Advanced allows you to select from all formations and all plays in the playbook. Hardcore is a specially tuned mode that is reserved for gamers that know everyting about football and need no help.
Hardcore is the best choice. You don't have to cycle through those other useless menus. Now, if only it didn't go to a Madden selection on every 4th down. Then Hardcore would be nigh perfect.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-28-2009, 03:54 PM   #32
Banned

dfos81's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
The Play Call Style is for your play call style, not the comps. I'm playing on it and see absolutely no difference at all in how the AI plays. It doesn't change the game at all. Here's the quote from the in menu explanation (since there's none at the launch screen).

This is quoted verbatim.

Hardcore is the best choice. You don't have to cycle through those other useless menus. Now, if only it didn't go to a Madden selection on every 4th down. Then Hardcore would be nigh perfect.
I wasn't sure if it helped the cpu calls or not. Thanks for clarifying.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »