Home

Having Trouble Putting Touch on the Ball When Passing

This is a discussion on Having Trouble Putting Touch on the Ball When Passing within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-26-2009, 02:13 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Having Trouble Putting Touch on the Ball When Passing

Its really all about how hard you hit the button
Old 10-26-2009, 02:32 PM   #10
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by TombSong
Not being able to throw the ball the way you want is pure crap. Its also not realistic. Having a QB throw a ball one way then throw it a total different way the next time despite you putting the same amount of lead and pressure on the stick is not the ideal way to emulate how good or bad a QB throws.

They should have given each QB a skill set that reflects their real life skill set and you the user would have to adjust to that QB's skill set.

Some QBs release should be faster than others, the speeds at which the balls would get down field when throwing deep should have been different depending on QB skill. The placement of the ball should have been such where depending on how accurate they are would determine if the ball is thrown behind a WR or more out in front of the WR(how well they lead a WR) etc

You would have to learn how to play with that QB. Thats the ideal way to distinguish good QB's from bad ones. Having Dree Brees just throw a bad pass with NO pressure on him to a wide open WR just for the sake of "trying to emulate mistakes" is just stupid. Let me make the mistake based on the QB's skills, not some random uncontrolled cpu generated event.
Agreed. Well said.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:43 PM   #11
So long to a Legend.

ANDROMADA 1's Arena

OVR: 65

I've found the directional passing to be really helpful too.It depends on what route you are trying to complete.As a general rule I throw away from the suspected defender and to a spot where I think I can squeeze a pass in there.Especially if you have a big target.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-26-2009, 05:24 PM   #12
MVP

OVR: 55

My quick tips for the APFer to get used to madden quick:

1 - put far less effort into setting your feet, put more effort into just buying time if needed and really have a handle on other aspects of passing

2 - lead pass often with the L stick, and oftentimes you don't need to finesse the stick, you'll get good results pushing it all the way one direction. This game is user friendly in that sense.

3 - passes over the middle DO need some touch and finesse in terms of directional passing. Think - hard passes and hard L stick, touch passes (even harder touch passes) use more finesse L stick. I've dropped some pretty nice balls over cover 2 or 3 linebacker hook zones.

4 - pre-snap reads are harder. I'd suggest using formations that give away man zone early in a game to get a feel for what your opponent likes to call then go balanced from there. Just a suggestion.

5 - for the most part, be calculated with the deep ball. M10 will make you pay for risky throws downfield.

6 - it is better to take a sack or look to scramble than throw a pass on time that you are unsure of. This game's INT return system really makes you count your chickens and make solid choices. The passing game is not for the blind gunslinger. In APF we'd get those guys who'd throw any ball on time and just stick ridiculous throws in coverge.. not in M10 on a consistent basis. You have to finesse a nice ball into thick coverage with talent if you want any needle threading to happen.

7 - to shed tacklers with your QB, you need to activate scramble mode with your R trigger THEN use the R stick to evade. Using the R stick alone seems to have a quite low percentage of success.

8 - take slide protections into account and use the flats against blitzers. Unlike APF - defenses take pretty good angles to the QB and get there in a jiffy, but if you slide protect you can beat it no problem. I'd suggest slide protecting to a side and keeping your RB in to block on the opposite side, not pinching or fanning against blitzes that try to get inside your tackles (A/B gap).

That's all I got off the top of my head. Hopefully something good came out

M - I - N - N - E - S - O - T - A
Old 10-26-2009, 05:30 PM   #13
MVP

Tengo Juego's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Autumn Wind
Yup, it's left stick, and it registers varying degrees of pressure and extension. The throw button also registers varying degrees of pressure.

Figuring this out opens up your offense big time. I think lots of the "passing is broken" stuff comes from a lack of knowledge about how to manipulate throw height, direction, and speed.
I think you confused everyone when you said this. Its not a clicking of the left thumbstick to activate it prior to the start of the game, in the team select screen. You're talking about "Precision Passing." Correct? Moving the left stick up, left/right, down to "aim" your passes. And tapping opposed to holding the intended receiver's button. Is this what you meant?

Old 10-26-2009, 08:11 PM   #14
Banned

dfos81's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengo Juego
I think you confused everyone when you said this. Its not a clicking of the left thumbstick to activate it prior to the start of the game, in the team select screen. You're talking about "Precision Passing." Correct? Moving the left stick up, left/right, down to "aim" your passes. And tapping opposed to holding the intended receiver's button. Is this what you meant?
Thats what I meant, and thats how I took his post.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:17 PM   #15
MVP

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreatineKasey
My quick tips for the APFer to get used to madden quick:

5 - for the most part, be calculated with the deep ball. M10 will make you pay for risky throws downfield.

M10 will make you pay for ANY throw downfield
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-26-2009, 11:57 PM   #16
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengo Juego
Yup, that's what I meant. Sorry for the terminological error and confusion!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »