Home

Find myself throwing more INT's now...

This is a discussion on Find myself throwing more INT's now... within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-25-2009, 09:00 PM   #1
MVP

mattlanta's Arena

OVR: 21
Find myself throwing more INT's now...

I'm playing as the Atlanta Falcons, and usually in the pre-season, I would end the game with around a 100 rating with Matt Ryan (even if it's just one or two quarters)... now it's like Week 8, and I've thrown 6 TD's, and 9 INT's already (5 of them being in one game against the 49ers)... and Ryan's QB rating is 56.5.

I'm just looking for any tips that would be useful in avoiding picks. I know I can throw to my TE / RB more often, but that's unrealistic. I try to throw to my main targets and my WRs most of the time unless they're all covered or unless the play was written up for the TE himself.

I think Matt Ryan in my franchise accepted EA's offer to be on the cover of Madden that year cause I don't know why else he would be sucking... :P (kidding ofcourse)

Last edited by mattlanta; 10-25-2009 at 09:05 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-25-2009, 09:06 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: Find myself throwing more INT's now...

Read the defense before the play. Also, are you rushing the throws because pressure is there or are you forcing throws when you can still buy some more time? If you are feeling rushed, practice a little bit of pocket presence. It goes a long way. I keep getting better at standing in the pocket and never move until I feel that controller start to vibrate, then I usually glance at the pocket and move around(not run, but step) and get away from the pressure or if I have to scramble or throw the ball away. It has helped me as I went on a 3 game streak with 7 TD's and 0 INT's.

― Plato
Old 10-25-2009, 09:17 PM   #3
Pro

Bballplaya72's Arena

OVR: 9

First thing you should do is try to see if it's man or zone, by the way the defense is lined up.

After the snap watch the backers to see if anyone blitzes. If it looks like a heavy rush, hit the hot receiver.

Third, have a good idea who you want to go to before the ball is snapped. I'm not saying lock-on, but have a predetermined 1,2, and 3rd read to go to.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:14 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 26

I first learned to pass with the panthers and then I used the Pats(and exploded on the score board with them). The best advice I can give you, is to use these two rules.

When you are playing with a QB who has 80s and even 70s in his accuracies, treat him as if he were Tom Brady. He will only throw a few poor passes. The next rule is treat every WR like they are Randy Moss and they will catch anything you thrown at them.(if you follow the next rule that is but expect them to not make the plays you want them to because they arent really moss)

The second rule is, a "5 yard rule" when passing with madden. I have found that if you find a WR that is 5 yards away from any defender it is an automatic completion if you assume that your QB is Brady and your WR is Moss.

For other tips, if the CBs are lined up tight against your WRs audible them into streaks and hot route your TE to a slant/out/crossing route. If the WR breaks the press coverage and has 5 yards on the CB you will have an easy big play down the field. If the WRs dont get off the press in the 5 yard rule then throw the ball to the TE.

How you throw the ball on that type of play is different depending on the safety. Assuming your WR gets off the CB and the safety is playing deep zone coverage, it is best you throw a bullet to the sideline because most safeties will not be able to get to it. If there is single zone coverage then you might be able to get away with a lob pass to the WR if the safety is slow but it is still best to throw a rope to the sideline. If there is no zone coverage nail your WR with a lob and watch him go for a TD(If he is fast enough)

There are some exceptions to the rule. Safeties like Troy, Reed, or other fast zone coverage players will break the 5 yard rule. I often dont bother throwing deep to their side unless they are completely out of the picture because they will pick the ball off. Unless you have a WR like Moss, I often dont throw to him if he is lined up with a CB with exceptional coverage skills(Bailey/Nomdi ect ect) because they will dominate lesser WRs and throwing to them leads to INTs.(Moss VS Nomdi in practice mode is about 60 to 40 Moss winning most the match ups)

Last edited by Glorious Arc; 10-25-2009 at 10:18 PM.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:28 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libid21
I'm playing as the Atlanta Falcons, and usually in the pre-season, I would end the game with around a 100 rating with Matt Ryan (even if it's just one or two quarters)... now it's like Week 8, and I've thrown 6 TD's, and 9 INT's already (5 of them being in one game against the 49ers)... and Ryan's QB rating is 56.5.

I'm just looking for any tips that would be useful in avoiding picks. I know I can throw to my TE / RB more often, but that's unrealistic. I try to throw to my main targets and my WRs most of the time unless they're all covered or unless the play was written up for the TE himself.

I think Matt Ryan in my franchise accepted EA's offer to be on the cover of Madden that year cause I don't know why else he would be sucking... :P (kidding ofcourse)
how is throwing to them unrealistic. I think some of you guys idea of unrealistic is unrealistic.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-25-2009, 10:59 PM   #6
MVP

mattlanta's Arena

So I followed what you guys recommended ... read the defense a little more before the snap instead of just snapping the ball (it is definitely more realistic and easier to make your reads before the snap instead of rushing it after) ... stayed in the pocket and looked to see if the vibration is a false alert or not (sometiems the controller vibrates only to see the pressure is picked up by one of your blockers) ... I waited in the pocket more and allowed the plays to develop more ... I ran and scrambled for 6 yards after one play where I saw no one open.

Ryan's stats after New Orleans:
14-20 - 326 Yards - 2 TDs - 1 INT - 124.9 QB Rating

I only had an INT because I threw it up in the endzone for Jenkins but I did not lob it up, so it was a laser straight to the CB.

Thanks.
Old 10-25-2009, 11:01 PM   #7
MVP

mattlanta's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviticus
how is throwing to them unrealistic. I think some of you guys idea of unrealistic is unrealistic.
Because in real life, Turner has terrible hands and almost never catches a ball (he only had three catches in 2008). And Gonzalez is Gonzalez, but if you throw to him too often it will be too unrealistic. Like in my first franchise, Gonzalez had over 150 receptions and my receivers only had 20-25 each. That's what I meant when I said that...
Old 10-26-2009, 12:55 AM   #8
Hard Times.

Bellsprout's Arena

OVR: 40

You could cheat and run slants every play. Any route that runs horizontal can't be covered by the CPU. Possible exception: Deep Posts.
A lot of you guys seem pretty cool, but you have wieners.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »