Home

Proposed New Control Scheme for Fight for the Fumble.

This is a discussion on Proposed New Control Scheme for Fight for the Fumble. within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-28-2009, 12:20 PM   #25
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51
re: Proposed New Control Scheme for Fight for the Fumble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm boost
I certainly can appreciate the effort in coming up with the idea, but honestly, its making things too complicated. All of that would take too long to play out, it would make the fumble last an eternity.
Not really, only 2 to 6 seconds max, and they could use the extra time to even show them pulling guys off (when you have to retain control of the ball). I haven't timed the current scenario, but I'm guessing it's already roughly 4 to 6 seconds total, with about 4 seconds (max) of button mashing.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-28-2009, 02:49 PM   #26
MVP

OVR: 41

I would like it better as long as the Cowboys and Raiders always loose the ball

Season 1 CHAMPION!!!
Old 10-28-2009, 03:28 PM   #27
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLHITMAN
I would like it better as long as the Cowboys and Raiders always loose the ball
Can't speak for the Raiders, but per my experiences, the Cowboys already always lose the ball. heh

I think a lot of folks dislike the fight for the fumble because of the controls and the way it was implemented. Personally, I want to fight for it. I want to be in control of every aspect of the game on the field.
Old 10-28-2009, 03:51 PM   #28
MVP

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
Can't speak for the Raiders, but per my experiences, the Cowboys already always lose the ball. heh

I think a lot of folks dislike the fight for the fumble because of the controls and the way it was implemented. Personally, I want to fight for it. I want to be in control of every aspect of the game on the field.
The thing I don't like about it is there is many times that I am the only player around the fumble and it will wait for the opposing team to come over and jump on the ball and even though I have been there the whole time it will start out the other team with the advantage

I think there is a lot more to it than just button mashing because I am mashing it as fast as I can and it is not even close.

Season 1 CHAMPION!!!
Old 10-28-2009, 04:01 PM   #29
Rookie

OVR: 9

to stay ON topic: I really like your idea. I've never played any of the Godfather games, but that is the best way to simulate choking someone. Because of that idea, button mashing does not simulate someone "pulling" the ball away. I like the fftf idea, but the button mashing is tiring. I believe it can use an alternative method to execute and your idea is a good start...
Old 10-28-2009, 04:33 PM   #30
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

Thanks. For some reason they decided not to show you whether you were winning possession of the ball or not in order for there to be a surprise as to 'who' has the ball which is what typically occurs from a spectators perspective. I believe this to be a tactical mistake. As the gamer, you are the player, not the spectator. You will know if you have the ball.

Instead of this route, they should synchronize the timing of the players being removed from the pile with the movements of the analog sticks and the securing of the ball such that the refs are actively removing players by the time the player is attempting to hold on to the ball. Or, if the player is unable to secure the ball, have a ref quickly show the other team has possession.

In addition, the camera needs to be pulled back so you can get a better view of the action. As it stands it's too close up and you don't really get the feel of a pile up. Usually when it happens, I'm trying to adjust to what's going on, which means there needs to be more of an interval between when the ball is loose and the player actively begins fighting for it, or a generic way of fighting for it from the onset such as moving the analog sticks up and down (i.e. something that doesn't require a visual queue from the game that requires the gamer to react, such as hitting a specific button A, B, X, or Y).
Old 10-29-2009, 10:37 AM   #31
Wolverine Soldier

Jackdog's Arena

OVR: 37
Re: Proposed New Control Scheme for Fight for the Fumble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
The point of the thread wasn't to debate whether Fight for the Fumble itself was good/bad, but to discuss the idea of the new control scheme. We already have the ability to turn it off, so that topic is moot.
Absolutely. Guys....Stay on topic please.
NCAA:Michigan Wolverines.
F-1: Ferrari.

It's been a while OS. Hope all are doing well!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-29-2009, 11:24 AM   #32
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: Proposed New Control Scheme for Fight for the Fumble.

Better scheme than what's in place, but in all honestly it just needs to be removed. It's another silly, useless gimmick they wasted time on instead of fixing problems with the basics of the game like they should have.

Besides that, controllers aren't built to last forever, and I'm not too keen on stressing them out with such a silly gimmick.

Fight for fumble could, and probably should, simply be based on the strength of the two players contesting the ball, as well as their positions on the ball. If say... James Harrison falls on a fumble and then Deangelo Hall falls on it as well and they're in equally good position, does Hall actually have a decent chance of taking it away from Harrison? Hell no. Unless of course hall was in the best possible position, DIRECTLY on top of the ball. Ceteris paribus, Harrison has at least a 90% chance of taking it.

But I'm all for a better scheme of implementing it... yours is certainly better than what we currently have, although I think whatever scheme is used should be only minor in stress to the controller.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »