Home

No SuperBowl Rematch in Following Franchise Year?

This is a discussion on No SuperBowl Rematch in Following Franchise Year? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-01-2009, 02:09 PM   #1
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51
Question No SuperBowl Rematch in Following Franchise Year?

Just finished my first year of offline Franchise, using the Dallas Cowboys and the NFL Simulation Sliders. I played the Saints in the NFC Championship game, and the Patriots in the Superbowl (it was an awesome game). Finished the year up, went through off season, and started the second year up. Now, I could be wrong here, but doesn't the year typically kick off with a game between the super bowl champs and/or a rematch of the AFC/NFC championship game?

Instead I played the Philedelphia Eagles on my first game, and we didn't even meet in the playoffs.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-01-2009, 02:16 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 6
Re: No SuperBowl Rematch in Following Franchise Year?

no usually it will put the superbowl champion in a thursday game. like when the giants won the superbowl they put the game on thursday against the redskins who didn't go to the playoffs.
Old 11-01-2009, 02:19 PM   #3

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
Just finished my first year of offline Franchise, using the Dallas Cowboys and the NFL Simulation Sliders. I played the Saints in the NFC Championship game, and the Patriots in the Superbowl (it was an awesome game). Finished the year up, went through off season, and started the second year up. Now, I could be wrong here, but doesn't the year typically kick off with a game between the super bowl champs and/or a rematch of the AFC/NFC championship game?

Instead I played the Philedelphia Eagles on my first game, and we didn't even meet in the playoffs.
Each division in the AFC plays every team in one division from the NFC and every team from one division in the AFC with a few other AFC games sprinkled in to make up the difference (those games are chosen based off of position in the standings).

There is no rule about matching up teams from either Championship game or the Super Bowl. The reason you see one match up like that every year is because there are pretty good odds that there will be a rematch from one of those games.

I doubt Madden has that programmed in, in fact if you check your schedule or the schedule of the other SB team I bet there is at least one rematch on the schedule from the previous season.

But since there is no rule, I doubt you would see it in Madden.
Old 11-01-2009, 03:11 PM   #4
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
There is no rule about matching up teams from either Championship game or the Super Bowl. The reason you see one match up like that every year is because there are pretty good odds that there will be a rematch from one of those games.
hah... ok, my bad I guess. Looks like I've become accustomed to watching the post-championship games. Thought the NFL had been doing it on purpose. Kind of made sense. Seems like it would help peak interest in a new season. Ahh well.
Old 11-01-2009, 03:16 PM   #5

kehlis's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
hah... ok, my bad I guess. Looks like I've become accustomed to watching the post-championship games. Thought the NFL had been doing it on purpose. Kind of made sense. Seems like it would help peak interest in a new season. Ahh well.
Well you are right about that, they generally find a game to open the year up that generates interest.

They just don't manipulate the scheduling rules they have in place to create a game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-01-2009, 03:45 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

BlueNGold's Arena

They are missing the Thursday night opening game that has the defending Super Bowl champion playing but other than that the schedule creation in future years is pretty good.

Old 11-01-2009, 03:45 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 4

Speaking of the Superbowl in chise, does anyone else find the "Superbowl" graphic on the patches and around which ever stadium the Superbowl is in in kind of cheesy?
Old 11-01-2009, 03:46 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

BlueNGold's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by rws591
Speaking of the Superbowl in chise, does anyone else find the "Superbowl" graphic on the patches and around which ever stadium the Superbowl is in in kind of cheesy?
Yes. It doesn't really look like a logo you would see used for a Super Bowl but I do like that it is there.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »