Home

man coverage - my approach

This is a discussion on man coverage - my approach within the Madden NFL Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen
FIFA 21 Review
Tennis World Tour 2 Review
Doug Flutie's Maximum Football 2020 Review
Poll: Which next-gen console are you going to purchase? (Click to vote)

Old 11-08-2009, 10:02 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 7
Re: man coverage - my approach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingking77
Pause-> Coaching Options -> Def Matchups -> Select as needed or desired...
Just an FYI, teh defensie assignments are wacky in this game, and I find that if I assign anything other than my top CB on Their #1 WR, you start to see things like LB's covering flankers, etc etc.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:29 AM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannydufflebags
Just an FYI, teh defensie assignments are wacky in this game, and I find that if I assign anything other than my top CB on Their #1 WR, you start to see things like LB's covering flankers, etc etc.
But this is still how you do it... But when you put a guy on another guy, he's going to play THAT guy every time you play man... So if you put that LB on the slot reciever, then every time you call a man to man play, guess who's in as a DB... The LB. That's why you've got to be carefull with whom you put on who... But in the end it still works so long as you know what you're doing and take the time to set it up correctly...

The other issue I had with this was if a guy gets injured, the defender who's covering him may not come back in...
Old 11-09-2009, 10:19 AM   #19
Banned

OVR: 5

I don't see much benefit in assigning safeties and LB. the reason i say this is because you don't have the ability to put players in good position to cover their man like you did last-gen (coverage audible button + right). If i run 4-3 man under and I assign my fastest linebacker to the best RB he will never move into the best postion to cover that RB. I would have to manually move him over the top of the RB = worthless.

or...if i call a play that has my safety in man coverage and he's been assigned to the RB, the saftey will not line up over the RB. IF my safetey in man coverage is lined up on the strong side of the offensive formation and his man runs a flat route to the weak side its a free first down for the offense. you still have to "MANUALLY" reverse your defense to account for the strong side. even if you do this you don't know which flat the RB is going to run to. = worthless

let me know if i'm missing something here.

I agree it only helps if you use it on #1 or #2 WR
Old 11-09-2009, 02:00 PM   #20
All Star

DonkeyJote's Arena

OVR: 19

I mostly run Cover 2. It gets somebody on the flats, and you can be aggressive and get some turnovers, but this only works if you have a good Dline against the pass and the rush. I mix in some cover 3, cover 2 man, cover 1, and some blitzes. I also try to come out in different sets, mix up base, over, and under for my 4-3, etc.
Old 11-09-2009, 02:32 PM   #21
MVP

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonkeyJote
I mostly run Cover 2. It gets somebody on the flats, and you can be aggressive and get some turnovers, but this only works if you have a good Dline against the pass and the rush. I mix in some cover 3, cover 2 man, cover 1, and some blitzes. I also try to come out in different sets, mix up base, over, and under for my 4-3, etc.
I always use man. I use zone sparingly.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »