Home

DE's and LB's?

This is a discussion on DE's and LB's? within the Madden NFL Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen
FIFA 21 Review
Tennis World Tour 2 Review
Doug Flutie's Maximum Football 2020 Review
Poll: Which next-gen console are you going to purchase? (Click to vote)

Old 11-06-2009, 12:27 PM   #9
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: DE's and LB's?

Does OVR even matter to how they play on the field or is it just some kind of "quick and dirty" ranking system?

I.E. does the DE moved to OLB play worse because his OVR is lower or because he's being exposed in skills the OLBs need that most "natural" DEs don't have?
Old 11-06-2009, 12:50 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
Does OVR even matter to how they play on the field or is it just some kind of "quick and dirty" ranking system?

I.E. does the DE moved to OLB play worse because his OVR is lower or because he's being exposed in skills the OLBs need that most "natural" DEs don't have?
In terms of ratings, you have to take the with a grain of salt. You can put vilma at DE and get like a 99, but in terms of practicality while playing he is worthless.

I think in regards to how they actually play, awareness, play recognition and zone/man coverage are the reason why DE's can't play well as LBs.

LB's with low awareness/play recog are basically unaffected on the line. DE's playing in space however, look terrible with the same rating.

There are a couple of ways they could fix it I suppose.. add new positions (3-4 rush backer, 3-4 DE etc.) or tweak the way acceleration and speed work at different positions.
Old 11-06-2009, 02:20 PM   #11
Banned

OVR: 14

Good points everyone ... and I understand it shouldn't be easy for ANY DE to transition to LB, just as it shouldn't be easy for any LB to transition to DE. But some DE's and LB's should be able to make that transition with a minimal rating hit. That said, I suspect you are correct that the "overall" rating for players is pretty much meaningless, just as the overall rating for teams is pretty much meaningless.

I guess I will see what happens when I move some players around in my franchise. I intend to play using the 3-4 this year so depending on what team I take over, I may have to change some DE's and LB's around ... if I take over the Browns really no issue there as they already use the 3-4, but if I take over the Bills I'm thinking Maybin is a logical choice to move into an OLB spot?
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »