Home

Madden 10 sales up 5% over Madden 09

This is a discussion on Madden 10 sales up 5% over Madden 09 within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-10-2009, 02:11 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 15
Madden 10 sales up 5% over Madden 09

This is from gamespot, http://www.gamespot.com/news/6239416...dlines;title;1

"Despite the losses and the layoffs, EA executives tried put a brave face on things. In a conference call with analysts, CEO John Riccitiello touted the fact Madden NFL 10 has sold over 3.9 million copies worldwide since its August launch. He said that on the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, sales were up 5 percent over Madden NFL 09."
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-10-2009, 07:38 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 17
Re: Madden 10 sales up 5% over Madden 09

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerwr38
This is from gamespot, http://www.gamespot.com/news/6239416...dlines;title;1

"Despite the losses and the layoffs, EA executives tried put a brave face on things. In a conference call with analysts, CEO John Riccitiello touted the fact Madden NFL 10 has sold over 3.9 million copies worldwide since its August launch. He said that on the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, sales were up 5 percent over Madden NFL 09."

Not trying to sound like a jerk but "Big Deal"
Old 11-10-2009, 07:45 AM   #3
Banned

OVR: 49

I wouldnt boast any sales numbers if I was laying workers off, thats just me.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:39 AM   #4
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51

5% sales increase isn't that good though when you look at the increase in the number of consoles over the year between the 09 and 10 release.

PS3 went from 15 million to 25 million for an increase of 10 million units or 67% increase in units.

XBox 360 went from 21 million to 32 million for an increase of 11 million units or 52% increase in units.

Madden's sales should trend somewhere in line with the available units increase, and 5% isn't even close. Did it mention how the sales were doing overall? I would think PS2/XBox sales were declining, and would be surprised if a 5% increase in current generation consoles could make up for them.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:39 AM   #5
Banned

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
5% sales increase isn't that good though when you look at the increase in the number of consoles over the year between the 09 and 10 release.

PS3 went from 15 million to 25 million for an increase of 10 million units or 67% increase in units.

XBox 360 went from 21 million to 32 million for an increase of 11 million units or 52% increase in units.

Madden's sales should trend somewhere in line with the available units increase, and 5% isn't even close. Did it mention how the sales were doing overall? I would think PS2/XBox sales were declining, and would be surprised if a 5% increase in current generation consoles could make up for them.

its hard to analyze these things without all the facts. I would imagine that like every other industry inthe world right now EA is not living up to its expectations and sales goals. the 5% figure at best is a number used to sooth EA's shareholders. but trust me in the conference rooms of EA management is concerned about their units/install base numbers. gaming is an industry of luxury and it is not immune to economic pressure. hence the layoffs.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-10-2009, 10:36 AM   #6
Banned

dfos81's Arena

OVR: 16

Yeah 5% isn't really worth mentioning.
I would attribute the gain more to Sony and MS dropping the price on the consoles and then go on to say Madden is improved but still not a complete football game(for ex. EA can CAN the "canned" animations).
Anywhoo, the bright side is they did increase
Old 11-10-2009, 12:08 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 15

I know it wasn't breaking news or anything, but I posted it because of the other thread that stated Madden sales are down. It was more of a fyi.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:35 PM   #8
Big Dummy

DustinT's Arena

OVR: 40

Damn...EA can't escape bashing anywhere.

Everyone has to lay off workers, so don't bash EA for doing it.

The fact of them having better sales is a lot considering early in the release they were so far behind 09. And just because sales are better, doesn't mean they can keep workers...everything else costs loads of money too.

R.I.P Seattle SuperSonics

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »